iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Windows 10 vs 11 ?? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/windows-10-vs-11-a-562927.html)

Bedlam 12-06-2021 10:03 AM

Windows 11 reports on your usage more than previous Microsoft operating systems. I have a number of systems running Windows 10 and can accept or mitigate much of the data leakage from it but not from 11 in its current state. I have many more systems running Lubuntu which is a light weight version of Ubuntu that even performs well on 15 year old hardware. I have tried Chromebooks, but they don't give me anything I cannot get from Ubuntu plus I have less ties to Google's snooping (Amazon is the most invasive). I have tried a couple of PC's with Android installed, but the support for drivers is not there and I would not suggest it to anyone but a techie.

Those of you staying on Windows can get a little more privacy by using LibreOffice for documents, Mozilla Thunderbird for email, Mozilla Firefox for browsing and Duck Duck Duck Go as your search homepage.

Steve 716 12-06-2021 11:16 AM

Windows 10 vs Windows 11

The Windows 10 platform is obtrusive. Sometimes I have to go into my Windows account settings and/or my desktop settings to turn off permissions that a Windows 10 update turned back on. Sometimes I find a new permission within my account and I have to decide how I want to set it. Sometimes an update also downloads new software that I may or may not want or have a use for. It is difficult to locate in the Windows forums information specific to issues I am having. Too often a discussion on a specific topic I want more information on is closed. Microsoft does not tell us what changes an update creates. If you donít check your Microsoft account and desktop settings you will have no idea what it going on. I think Microsoft depends on most people not checking.

Per my two sons (one is an engineer who finds holes in software and the other is in charge of IT worldwide for his company), whose opinions I trust completely, Windows 11 is even more obtrusive. Itís essentially a combination of a face lifted Windows 10, a more advanced advertising platform, and a more robust tracker for placing unwanted ads. I assume that outside software that is compatible with Windows 10 will also be compatible with Windows 11, but I havenít found anything that specifically tells me that it is. There are a lot of Windows 10 compatible programs that need to be tested. I do not want to upgrade to Windows 11 and lose the functionality of any of my Windows 10 compatible programs. I still use Office 2007 Word, Excel, One Note, and Picture Manager. Fortunately Windows 10 still supports Office 2007. I use Mailbird in place of Outlook. (If you decide to make Mailbird your e-mail program, please use my name as a reference). Will Windows 11 continue to be compatible with Office 2007? My sons canít answer this question yet. I do not want to replace Office 2007 with Microsoftís cloud based Office 365 rental software. Depending on my RV park location I may not get internet access to use Office 365.

When Windows 10 was released, it was very buggy and too many of its components either did not function as well as they had on Windows 7 or did not function at all. It took very many months before Microsoft resolved all of these issues. As is standard with Microsoft, Windows 10 was still under development when it was released and they left it to their customers to find problems. The same will happen with Windows 11. It is what Microsoft has always done. So if you decide to upgrade to Windows 11, at least wait until it is fully functional. You also should check to make sure other software you use is compatible.

Microsoft claimed that Windows 10 would be its final Windows platform, so why did Windows 11 suddenly appear? They havenít completely answered this question.

I have no plans to upgrade to Windows 11 unless Microsoft stops supporting Windows 10 or they make Windows 11 something magical for its users.

Bedlam 12-06-2021 11:35 AM

Windows 10 support ends in 2025. The latest update to 21H2 will now put Windows 10 into a yearly instead semi yearly update schedule until its end. Security updates will continue monthly and we have been told emergency updates will still arrive as completed rather than set schedule.

rfg9585 12-06-2021 12:41 PM

Just got my new box Saturday and have it configured with W11 pretty much like I want. Currently use MS acct but may switch over to local acct to avoid MS spying. I have integrated google and Office 365 into the mix and pretty please with the performance of the Intel I9. I moved from the mac and I am so glad to get off that POS. Me being an old developer from the pre-PC days thru windows it was a good move. I have always liked to stay on the bleeding edge of tech.....

Bedlam 12-06-2021 01:17 PM

For those wanting to try Linux, many are able to boot live off CD, DVD or USB so you can test which or any work for you. Here are some for beginners:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-l...for-beginners/

Here are more options:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-l...tops-for-pros/

Jack has many good articles on Linux:
https://www.techrepublic.com/meet-th...s/jack-wallen/

Bill Croy 12-06-2021 01:44 PM

Windows 10 or 11?

Here are my thoughts. Windows 11 is basically windows 10 that has been revamped to be more secure, providing your hardware is new enough to handle it. It is also more tablet and touch screen friendly and the start screen looks similar to that of a smart phone with a similar appearence to a MAC product. On a personal note: I do not and will not own any MAC or i-product because of software and security problems, and just their world perception. [end personal note] I do recommend 16 meg of memory or more if you can swing it. If at all possible I stay away from SSD's for anything but long term storage as they still do not like a lot of rewrites. If you really need a fast drive response, go with 7900 rpm drive or similar device with wide transfer buffer. These are usually the 5.5 inch SATA drives. If you really need high performance (for business not home use) get a machine with an intel i7 multi-processor with a four (or more) drive raid array with 32 meg or more memory. Deduct the cost as a business expense, its not cheap. Long story short, if you are satisfied with your windows 10 and have a good device, keep it. Windows 10 will be supported untill 2025 when it will be obsoleted. I use both win 10 & 11 and Linux Ubuntu. I stared with computers that ran on CPM, DOS 2, and VMS. If you have to look those up, don't feel bad as it was 40 years ago. As they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Stay safe, be happy, and have fun. Bill

alajeu 12-06-2021 01:52 PM

Every time I have succumbed to the temptation to upgrade, I have paid for it dearly with regret. I now have Windows 10 and will upgrade no more.

Alajeu

Newps 12-06-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Croy (Post 6008628)
I do recommend 16 meg of memory or more

You mean Gigs.

permitwriter 12-06-2021 09:03 PM

Software (and websites) are like a maze. You learn your way through the maze and you are good to go. Then comes the dreaded "upgrade". "More user friendly!" "Better interface!" "Fresh look!" "Better Organization!" On and on they crow. But it's none of that. It's just a different maze. And we get to learn it all over again. Then we are good to go. Again. But, inevitably, more upgrades, new mazes, on and on it goes FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! :banghead:

Bill Croy 12-07-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonfu (Post 6003784)
was wondering the same thing? about the chrome book, doesn't it have an non-microsoft op system? wifes laptop has a i5 4core with 12gigs, and is super fast but will no longer up date due to "pending updates" say her lease of windows is up??? meaning what? I paid for that OS and now they are revoking it and refusing to update it unless I pay more??? what a rip off!

Guess I'm going to have to start looking around for another op system as I can't afford to keep paying windows update fees. Her problems started when she signed up for office 365. I have deleted 365 from all my computers now to see if it will prevent the problem.

If you bought the software with licenses them it does not expire. Micrsoft does not rent software. Sounds like you have been hit with a malware / ransom ware. You will probably have to do a clean reinstall on that machine.

Bill Croy 12-07-2021 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newps (Post 6008760)
You mean Gigs.

Yes I did. Thanks.

Bill Croy 12-07-2021 09:04 AM

Hard Disk drive vs Solid State Drive

Just a note about drives. There are various types of Drives for data storage. First is the tried and true Hard Disk drive. Whether it be a 3.5, or a 2.5 inch device they all have a hard metallic disk coated with a magnetic surface. These disk spin at a prescribed speed and are written to and read from by magnetic read write "heads" sort of like a tape based recorder. There may be only one "platter" or multiple "platters" making up the drive. Most common drives run at a speed of 3600 rpm while the drives use by servers and data storage units will run at 7200 rpm for quicker read/write response times. The new Solid State Drive is just that. I has no moving parts. It is basically a massive ram stack. Yes it is faster than a hard drive for read write functions, however they tend not to tolerate frequent rewrites. They are great for system drives where the OS is not rewritten often or for data apps that need access to data quickly on a read mostly basis. If you need more that 250 Mega bites non formatted space the you are out of luck for the foreseeable future. Just keep the differences in mind when thinking about a new drive for your machine. When I order a new machine and can only one with a SSD for the system disk, I also order it with second HDD with 2 Tera bites of space. OS on the SSD and everything else on the HDD.
Have fun, be safe.
Bill KC5-CPU
2005 Georgie Boy (Coachmen) 35' MH

smiller 12-07-2021 01:33 PM

SSD have come a long way in recent years, plus OS's now automatically detect and modify operations to suit SSD characteristics and increase longevity. A modern SSD will probably outlast the device it is installed in.

lo-tek 12-07-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLDieter (Post 6007390)
If you haven't been hacked, hit with ransomware, or spied on with XP or Vista, it's just sheer luck. Those OS's are BOTH really vulnerable to security risks. In fact, that's the main reason for most Windows upgrades. :dance::dance::dance:

Thank you for bringing this up. I cringe when I hear people running the legacy desktop operating systems. You really are vulnerable no matter how secure you think you are.

Disclaimer: Microsoft employee.