iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   RoadMaster Falcon 2 - Maintenance (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/roadmaster-falcon-2-maintenance-567639.html)

Xjaywalker 01-18-2022 12:44 PM

RoadMaster Falcon 2 - Maintenance

We have a RoadMaster Falcon 2 for years. Used to tow a Toyota 4Runner (with a Demco Coupler) behind a 40ft DP when FT for 5 years. Not a single issue, worked great 5 years ago.:thumb:

Fast forward and we have downsized to a 30ft Gas rig and while installing the tow bar, I thought the arms felt loose where they attach (bolt-nut) on the hitch. We towed the 4Runner about 300 miles without a hitch (no pun intended).:laugh:

I tried to get a socket (looks like 1-1/8" Nut) down inside the receiver and it wouldn't fit. So, heres my question. Is this normal (loosness?) or should I try to find a socket (thin walled) to tighten that nut? Or am I over thinking this?? (I have a tendency to do that :nonono:

Oh and I have to change my sig pic. to the MH.

Dutch Star Don 01-18-2022 02:37 PM

You can't get a wrench in there, instead, shove a large screwdriver or piece of flat stock metal into the hole, wedging the nut, then turn the allen wrench to tighten the assembly. It should be stiff to move. If you don't have an allen that size, use a good set of vise grips, as the bolt is knurled.

With that said, I have the same tow bar. I had one for about 8 years and had it rebuilt once at Quartzsite. On a trip about 14 months ago, we destroyed it on a trip, bending both arms on a huge dip. I replaced it with a new one which has larger arms but feel that center joint has loosened up much quicker than the old one did. I'm going to take it over to their rebuild shop at Quartzsite and see what they say.

Xjaywalker 01-18-2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 6053750)
You can't get a wrench in there, instead, shove a large screwdriver or piece of flat stock metal into the hole, wedging the nut, then turn the allen wrench to tighten the assembly. It should be stiff to move. If you don't have an allen that size, use a good set of vise grips, as the bolt is knurled.

With that said, I have the same tow bar. I had one for about 8 years and had it rebuilt once at Quartzsite. On a trip about 14 months ago, we destroyed it on a trip, bending both arms on a huge dip. I replaced it with a new one which has larger arms but feel that center joint has loosened up much quicker than the old one did. I'm going to take it over to their rebuild shop at Quartzsite and see what they say.

Thank you Don. Thats exactly what I will do.:thumb:..Another question: What exactly do they do to "Rebuild" these tow bars? Maybe I should consider that as well?

Dutch Star Don 01-19-2022 10:49 AM

They remove that allen bolt, separate the arms and replace all the washers (plastic and metal) between those arms. They lube and inspect the rest of it and put it back together. A few years back it was $150.00. You drop it off in the morning and it's done a few hours later.

On the one I damaged, I bent the inner arms. I replaced both arms and cleaned and resembled it. It's a little complicated to disassemble and you have to note where all the washers go.

Xjaywalker 01-19-2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 6054664)
They remove that allen bolt, separate the arms and replace all the washers (plastic and metal) between those arms. They lube and inspect the rest of it and put it back together. A few years back it was $150.00. You drop it off in the morning and it's done a few hours later.

On the one I damaged, I bent the inner arms. I replaced both arms and cleaned and resembled it. It's a little complicated to disassemble and you have to note where all the washers go.

Thank you Don...good to know..