iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Advice on TOAD selection (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/advice-on-toad-selection-568662.html)

Gene Morris 01-28-2022 07:59 AM

Advice on TOAD selection
 
Good morning all.

I'm considering a Toad vehicle and need some advice/recommendations

Needs:

Automatic trans (DL allows only auto due to disability)
What allowances are required with an auto trans?
Holds 2 adults and large dog
Flat tow preferred
small pick-up preferred but could consider small SUV.
used vehicle with affordable price.??
tow weight less that 8K

Any thoughts and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gene

dizcom 01-28-2022 08:17 AM

Jeep Wrangler has been working for us. Flat tow, doesn't weigh a bunch, super easy to setup for flat tow, easy to tow, easy to hook/unhook. Inexpensive to setup for flat towing. Four door model is easily big enough for you and the dog and your groceries. Fold the seats flat and you can fit even bigger stuff. Jeep Gladiator is the pickup truck version. I don't know what you consider affordable, but you can get older ones that run just fine for considerable discount from new.

Unplanned Tourist 01-28-2022 08:21 AM

Ford Ranger 4x4 up to 2010 you can put the transfer case in neutral and flat tow it. The extended cab may or may not be big enough, but have a look at one.

I have a 2010 4x2 Ranger, but it's a 5 speed manual. Works for us. Under 4,000 pounds with 2 bicycles and the dry box full of stuff. Really simple to hook up. Even better now that I switched from a Brake Buddy to a ReadyBrake system. :thumb:

Jpiland 01-28-2022 08:22 AM

:welcome:
To the forums. you will get many answers. My choice is a Chevy Colorado or GMC canyon 4x4. They have an Electronic neutral. Automatic 4x4, 4 door truck. Weight is about #4500, easy to hook up and great towing. Happy Travels. :dance::dance::dance:

momdoc 01-28-2022 08:28 AM

It will not be easy to find a flat tow in your price range but not impossible. Remember it will then cost you 4K-6K to get it set up (Tow bar, bracket, wiring, brake system etc)

Good luck. We tow a Jeep Cherokee (flat tow) and love the set up.

Busskipper 01-28-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Morris (Post 6064014)
Good morning all.

I'm considering a Toad vehicle and need some advice/recommendations

Needs:

Automatic trans (DL allows only auto due to disability)
What allowances are required with an auto trans?
Holds 2 adults and large dog
Flat tow preferred
small pick-up preferred but could consider small SUV.
used vehicle with affordable price.??
tow weight less that 8K

Any thoughts and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gene

Try here - https://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showcat.php?cat=22

lazybyrd 01-28-2022 08:57 AM

Mine is a GMC Sierra 1500 4x4.

arcaguy 01-28-2022 09:13 AM

Just a couple of thing to make sure of. Check the owners' manual under RV towing for whatever model of vehicle you choose. Do not rely on the online guides they have been wrong before, but they are a good place to start. Watch your engine/transmission configuration. Many times the same vehicle with a different trans will not be towable while one with the correct trans will be towable. For instance a 2WD truck with an automatic transmission many times will not be towable while the same truck in a 4x4 version will be towable. Good luck.

Alan_Hepburn 01-28-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizcom (Post 6064028)
Jeep Wrangler has been working for us. Flat tow, doesn't weigh a bunch, super easy to setup for flat tow, easy to tow, easy to hook/unhook. Inexpensive to setup for flat towing. Four door model is easily big enough for you and the dog and your groceries. Fold the seats flat and you can fit even bigger stuff. Jeep Gladiator is the pickup truck version. I don't know what you consider affordable, but you can get older ones that run just fine for considerable discount from new.

"Considerable discount" MIGHT be available where you live, but generally used Wranglers and Gladiators are selling at a premium right now. Case in point: in 2019 we bought a 2017 4-door Wrangler for just over $24K. Last month we sold it to Vroom for just over $31K. They now have it on their website for $36K! That is typical in today's car economy. Our new 2022 model - identically equipped - is on a train heading our way, and we're paying around $44K for it!

The rest of your information is pretty good, though!

US1 01-28-2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momdoc (Post 6064045)
It will not be easy to find a flat tow in your price range but not impossible. Remember it will then cost you 4K-6K to get it set up (Tow bar, bracket, wiring, brake system etc)

Good luck. We tow a Jeep Cherokee (flat tow) and love the set up.




I have a Wrangler on order and have been looking at tow systems. I can be in right at $1K complete by buying used and self install. Tons of deals on FB for Blue Ox for systems, some with little use.

Camp CA 01-28-2022 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Morris (Post 6064014)
..........'m considering a Toad vehicle and need some advice/recommendations...............

Automatic trans (DL allows only auto due to disability) - same
What allowances are required with an auto trans? Just put it in neutral
Holds 2 adults and large dog - and passengers, luggage and bike rack
Flat tow preferred - Absolutely
small pick-up preferred but could consider small SUV - we just purchased a small Chevy Equinox LT AWD SUV that is flat towable
used vehicle with affordable price.?? - we just purchased a lightly used 2021 dealer vehicle that we never sold off the lot 0% off under MSRP
tow weight less that 8K - you have lots of options, ours is < 3500 lb curb weight

MtCamper 01-28-2022 04:52 PM

I'd look for a used vehicle that met your needs that was already set up to tow. Pretty easy to find in retirement communities.

Gene Morris 01-30-2022 08:22 AM

Thanks for all the help. I want to keep the cost under 20K. I'll be looking for some of the suggested items soon. We are planning a trip to Arizona next week and will look at some of the snowbird areas for some used vehicles set up already. However, I don't have a problem doing self installation of tow package

Thanks

Gene.

Unplanned Tourist 01-30-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Morris (Post 6065956)
Thanks for all the help. I want to keep the cost under 20K. I'll be looking for some of the suggested items soon. We are planning a trip to Arizona next week and will look at some of the snowbird areas for some used vehicles set up already. However, I don't have a problem doing self installation of tow package

Thanks

Gene.

Yuma might be a good place to start. Loads of aging snowbirds there.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.