iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Navigation, Routes & Roads (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Tuscaloosa AL to Charlotte NC Avoiding Atlanta (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/tuscaloosa-al-to-charlotte-nc-avoiding-atlanta-573405.html)

MPM442LPD 03-12-2022 12:15 PM

Tuscaloosa AL to Charlotte NC Avoiding Atlanta

We are traveling from Tuscaloosa Al to Charlotte NC and want to avoid driving any where near Atlanta GA!

I was reading through some of the other posts in this forum, and saw suggestions about taking Hwy 411 and 20. Looking at the map, I can take 59 N and catch Hwy 411 in Gadsen AL, then to Hwy 20 in GA then to I85. This keeps us well North of Atlanta.

We are traveling in a 2000 Southwind Storm and towing a vehicle. Just wondering if this route has any drawbacks/hazards we should be aware of!

This is a last minute necessary change of plans, and we are leaving in the morning. Quick responses would truly be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Frances

Jim_HiTek 03-12-2022 06:34 PM

Why not take the 285 bypass? That's what it's for. I haven't taken that route for a few years, but I remember when I did it was a fine road well north of Atlanta proper.

Than catch back up with I-20 SW of Atlanta.

I always plan my trips so I'm traveling around or through or near a big city between 10 AM and 3 PM. That helps me avoid heavy rush hour traffic. It's been so long since I got stuck in a traffic jamb I can't even remember the last time.

Or you could just take your time, enjoy the scenery for most of this route...

MPM442LPD 03-13-2022 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek (Post 6112516)
Why not take the 285 bypass? That's what it's for. I haven't taken that route for a few years, but I remember when I did it was a fine road well north of Atlanta proper.

Than catch back up with I-20 SW of Atlanta.

I always plan my trips so I'm traveling around or through or near a big city between 10 AM and 3 PM. That helps me avoid heavy rush hour traffic. It's been so long since I got stuck in a traffic jamb I can't even remember the last time.

Or you could just take your time, enjoy the scenery for most of this route...

Thank you! We are taking our time, so this route will be good! I did subscribe to RV Trip wizard, and checked the route! It got an "RV safe" rating😊

We are on our way back to Pennsylvania from our stay in Louisiana, and I had our route all planned out, through Mississippi Alabama Tennessee Kentucky Ohio Pennsylvania. We were planning to take our time! We are currently at Deerlick Creek campground in Tuscaloosa. We were talking about staying here a few more days, but something came up, and we have to go to NC! The first thing that came to mind was ATLANTA! I don't even like driving through Atlanta in a car! Although, I'm not the one driving, but I don't even want to be a passenger in this big old rig going through Atlanta!🤣

Thanks again!!!!

Frances

joshjack 03-13-2022 06:14 AM

If time is no issue you could take 59N from Birmingham and go through Chattanooga and Knoxville then cross the smokies on I40 and go through Asheville.

Personally I’d just try to hit Atlanta at off peak time and drive either the bypass or straight through the middle depending on traffic.

boomersooner 03-13-2022 06:33 AM

We go through Atlanta on a regular basis since we live in Augusta and have to go through Atlanta on any trip west. As suggested take the 285 bypass. It is Sunday and although traffic may be heavy it is not weekday congested.

wordsmyth 03-17-2022 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPM442LPD (Post 6112204)
We are traveling from Tuscaloosa Al to Charlotte NC and want to avoid driving any where near Atlanta GA!

I was reading through some of the other posts in this forum, and saw suggestions about taking Hwy 411 and 20. Looking at the map, I can take 59 N and catch Hwy 411 in Gadsen AL, then to Hwy 20 in GA then to I85. This keeps us well North of Atlanta.

We are traveling in a 2000 Southwind Storm and towing a vehicle. Just wondering if this route has any drawbacks/hazards we should be aware of!

This is a last minute necessary change of plans, and we are leaving in the morning. Quick responses would truly be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Frances

Frances, I live in West Alabama and have done the very route you outlined many times on a motorcycle. The goal was specifically to avoid Atlanta.

After you get off of I-59 at Gadsden you'll find decent rural 2-lanes and 4-lanes. East of Rome, GA the terrain does become increasingly hilly and curvy, but if you stay on the 4-lane scenic routes you will make good time and there are plenty of places to stop as needed.

Best to you, and safe travels!

rfg9585 03-18-2022 07:14 AM

For arguments sake....

I also hated the thoughts of driving thru ATL. But this past fall I bit the bullet and did just that on my way from CLT to Dallas. Went thru South i85 to hit i20 during midday Sat, came back thru 4pm on a Tuesday. Traffic was packed but took my time and made it thru no issues. From no own I will not avoid this except during rush hour. Saved a lot of driving time if you're on a schedule.

traveldawg 03-18-2022 10:05 AM

I'm always in awe of the ways folks try to work their way around Atlanta claiming traffic concerns. Yet they drive through ever other large city.

If one wants to just roam around then I can see avoiding interstates. But when one needs to get from point A to B the most direct route is still a straight line.

If one thinks Atlanta is bad, wait until they see how bad drivers are on hwy 20 north of Atlanta and then have to endure I-85 and it construction through SC and into NC.

If one wants to avoid Atlanta I think one needs to avoid anywhere near 60 miles from Atlanta.

At this point why not go through Montgomery, Columbus, Macon, Agusta, and Columbia to Charlotte?

rfg9585 03-19-2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveldawg (Post 6118289)
I'm always in awe of the ways folks try to work their way around Atlanta claiming traffic concerns. Yet they drive through ever other large city.

If one wants to just roam around then I can see avoiding interstates. But when one needs to get from point A to B the most direct route is still a straight line.

If one thinks Atlanta is bad, wait until they see how bad drivers are on hwy 20 north of Atlanta and then have to endure I-85 and it construction through SC and into NC.

If one wants to avoid Atlanta I think one needs to avoid anywhere near 60 miles from Atlanta.

At this point why not go through Montgomery, Columbus, Macon, Agusta, and Columbia to Charlotte?

Agree totally! Forgot about the construction on i85 in SC. It was a much worse event than driving thru ATL. If I come thru again while this is still underway I would take your route thru Macon, Agusta, etc.

motts461 03-20-2022 12:42 PM

So, I am thinking of the same issue as the OP. I will be leaving Tallapoosa GA on Thursday May 19th heading to Myrtle Beach and Google Maps is routing me through Atlanta with the conditions today. I am driving a 32' Class C pulling a Jeep Wrangler. Reading some of the previous replies I should be ok driving through Atlanta around noon on a Thursday?

Jim_HiTek 03-20-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motts461 (Post 6120374)
So, I am thinking of the same issue as the OP. I will be leaving Tallapoosa GA on Thursday May 19th heading to Myrtle Beach and Google Maps is routing me through Atlanta with the conditions today. I am driving a 32' Class C pulling a Jeep Wrangler. Reading some of the previous replies I should be ok driving through Atlanta around noon on a Thursday?

I try to arrive at a big city at 10-10:30 AM or between 2-2:30 PM. Arriving at noon puts you at risk of bumping into the lunch and afternoon shopping drivers. I would say for sure that noon would be better than 9 AM or 3 PM. Your call though.

motts461 03-20-2022 01:44 PM

Thanks, I am getting some work done at safe t plus first thing in the morning so hopefully they will get me out of there quick.

traveldawg 03-20-2022 03:04 PM

Quote:

You'll be fine. Don't use the right-most lanes in the city - too much on and off ramp traffic. Stay at least one lane from the right. If you use a more middle lane or lanes (there are 5 and even 6 lanes in the same direction in some areas) try to not hold up traffic - those drives there will just make you drive more miserable.

Although it might take longer sometimes when there is more traffic the speeds are less and the drive is less hairy making the trip through the city less stressful.

Folks are going to cut in front of you - it's the way it is driving an RV. Heck, even in a car those discourteous people will cut you off.

btw..... Google Maps is not your friend in an RV except for viewing traffic conditions. For proper routing you should have an RV specific GPS. Since you invested so much in a camper and tow-behind a few more hundred dollars is a good investment.

Take your time - have a safe trip.

boomersooner 03-21-2022 05:10 AM

Quote:

Take 20 all the way to I95. In Atlanta do not travel in the right lane, especially where 20 intersects 285 both on the east and west sides of Atlanta. The traffic getting off 20 and on 285 will be backed up, so stay in the middle lanes for easy driving. At 95 you will go north about 8-10 miles where you will then see the exit for Myrtle Beach (we go this way all the time since we live in Augusta). If you are going to the MB State Park, Pirateland, Ocean Lakes, or Lakewood you will most likely want to turn right on 544 and circle around to the south of MB and south of the airport. Where 544 ends it will take you straight into Ocean Lakes. The other parks are to the left within a mile or so before you get to the airport. They are big enough you will not miss them. Good luck and safe travels. Safe T Plus will have you out of there in short order, we had Koni's added in September and we were in their bay for about 40 minutes.

ktn1966 03-25-2022 12:55 PM

All roads lead to Atlanta.

motts461 05-20-2022 02:24 PM

So I thought I would give an update of my trip. First I had the Safe T Plus installed on my Minnie Winnie 31G at the factory. The customer service was outstanding and their product gives me peace of mind going down the road. I pull a 2 door wrangler and the steering stabilizer seemed to tighten up the wandering a little on the highway, which is a pleasant surprise.

I sailed right through Atlanta on I20 about 11:30AM. The eastern side was a little congested but I was able to stay in the correct lane and keep up with the other vehicles. Thanks to everyone.

doc 05-22-2022 03:10 PM

Not a good way to go without going a LONG way out of your way. Just get on I-20 to 285 and go south (bottom side) and follow it around to the north side of town to I-85 north and then on to Charlotte. Old fellow told a traveling man one time "Ain't no easy way to get there". Anything through Atlanta is just a roll of the dice with weather, rush hour Braves game and/or some shooting that we have so many of nowadays

AveryF 05-22-2022 05:39 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but we travel from Alabama to the Charlotte area pretty often and I'd much rather prefer to stay off of I-285 (traffic) and I-85 (construction) if at all possible. We travel to the Fort Mill, SC area just south of Charlotte and often take I-20 through Atlanta and head north on I-77 in Columbia.