iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   How Many of you use GMRS in your Rigs? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/how-many-of-you-use-gmrs-in-your-rigs-580601.html)

TucsonAZ 05-15-2022 03:20 AM

How Many of you use GMRS in your Rigs?
 
I just got my license and I'm going to pick up a unit, mostly so I can communicate with the car that will be traveling with me but I'm wondering how many other RVers us GMRS and if you've found it useful?

Killtimer 05-15-2022 08:12 AM

Use it a lot when we're traveling with others. Quite useful IMO.

Crasher 05-15-2022 08:19 AM

The FMCA 4 Wheelers just switched over to the GMRS radios for communicating while on the trails. Much improved communication in the canyons over the previous CB radios. I rarely travel with anyone else and use the cell phone when I do. It wouldn't be practical for the GMRS in our coach. I removed the CB years ago.

Dutch Star Don 05-15-2022 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crasher (Post 6181819)
I rarely travel with anyone else and use the cell phone when I do. It wouldn't be practical for the GMRS in our coach. I removed the CB years ago.

Same for us. We still have them in the coach, but they don't really work well unless you're right on top of one another. I think the RV bodies blocking the signal are the biggest issue.

Recently, a friend grabbed up a bunch of Motorola school radios that were being tossed and gave us a pair. They work really well when we travel with someone.

vsheetz 05-15-2022 01:23 PM

GMRS mounted in the Jeep for group trail communications.

Plus a pair of GMRS handhelds units.

Handhelds used for parking the motorhome, comms around the camping area, loan to a friend when traveling, spotting on jeep trails, etc.

Ray,IN 05-17-2022 06:51 PM

Keep in mind the GMRS frequencies require a license and associated self-identification on the used channel, very similar to short-wave radio frequencies.

TucsonAZ 05-17-2022 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 6184971)
Keep in mind the GMRS frequencies require a license and associated self-identification on the used channel, very similar to short-wave radio frequencies.


I have the license, it's only $35 and they make it hard enough to figure out how to get and pay for it that they don't require a test. I'm guessing they figure if you can even solve the riddle that is applying and paying you are smart enough to have it.



That said, 90% of people using it don't seem to have a license and of the 10% that seem to 90% of those don't use their call signs properly anyway.

Jim18655 05-18-2022 07:27 AM

If you only travel with the same group members consider all getting an Amateur Technician Class license. Small test fee and good for 10 years. Allows greater range and more possibility of getting help on the road in rural areas. Radios can be found for about $20 each in bulk buys of 5. Test is relatively easy.

TXiceman 05-18-2022 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim18655 (Post 6185364)
If you only travel with the same group members consider all getting an Amateur Technician Class license. Small test fee and good for 10 years. Allows greater range and more possibility of getting help on the road in rural areas. Radios can be found for about $20 each in bulk buys of 5. Test is relatively easy.

Please get the FCC amateur license if you are going to use a ham radio. Lately I have heard some folks on the ham frequencies without a license. They picked up the radios on Ebay or Amazon and never read the manual about a ham license being required. They are abusing the radio with improper operating procedures and well as foul language.

Be known, if I can figure out who you are, I will file a report on you to the FCC.

I have both an FCC license for amateur radio and GMRS.

Ken

vroom_vroom 05-18-2022 10:34 AM

Was always curious however how many people rip off a call sign and try and use it? Could just be a new guy but from time to time I hear some not so confident call signs……..

Recently I broke down and got my gmrs license. Will make my life significantly smoother on convoy style long distance camping trips!

Jim18655 05-18-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXiceman (Post 6185407)
Please get the FCC amateur license if you are going to use a ham radio. Lately I have heard some folks on the ham frequencies without a license. They picked up the radios on Ebay or Amazon and never read the manual about a ham license being required. They are abusing the radio with improper operating procedures and well as foul language.

Be known, if I can figure out who you are, I will file a report on you to the FCC.


Ken

Same here.

I have noticed some of the on-air activity going downhill. I don't know if it's a society issue or the easier testing. The new observer program might help bring it back to normal.


Expect a several thousand dollar fine for illegal operation.

Jim
KB3ICM

TucsonAZ 05-18-2022 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim18655 (Post 6185625)
Same here.

I have noticed some of the on-air activity going downhill. I don't know if it's a society issue or the easier testing. The new observer program might help bring it back to normal.


Expect a several thousand dollar fine for illegal operation.

Jim
KB3ICM


To my knowledge looking at FCC data, nobody have ever gotten in trouble for not using a call sign. I don't think they have anything close to the resources needed.



My dad was into ham radios long ago when it was a lot of work and money to get into and taken seriously so I get what you're saying about things going down hill.



Now there are HUGE privacy concerns and sketchy people who could freak out over who you voted for. I'm not using a call sign linked to my name, address and all of that while driving alone I-10 or something where any random person could target me or my home.



Also, the burden of entry is so low now with the China radios it's changed the game a lot.

Jim18655 05-19-2022 07:59 AM

Only 2 of many.

07/29/2016 The FCC has fined a Georgia radio amateur $1000 for failing to properly identify. A Forfeiture Order issued to David J. Tolassi, W4BHV, of Ringgold, was released on July 29. The FCC had proposed the fine 1 year ago in a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL), noting that Tolassi had been warned the previous summer about not following Part 97 ID rules.
06/02/2014 The FCC Enforcement Bureau has made public several warning notices issued over the past few months to radio amateurs. A couple of the letters from Special Counsel Laura Smith involved alleged infractions on 20 meters. On April 15, the FCC wrote Larry S. King, KI8NGS, of Owosso, Michigan, regarding failure to properly follow station identification rules on March 21.

hohenwald48 05-20-2022 10:57 AM

I can just imagine an FCC guy crouched behind the bath house with his RDF trying triangulate the kid on a bike calling his mama. :)

Ray,IN 05-20-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohenwald48 (Post 6187915)
I can just imagine an FCC guy crouched behind the bath house with his RDF trying triangulate the kid on a bike calling his mama. :)

That is exactly why the citizens band is wide open, so anyone(kids) can use it without regulation.

Jim18655 05-20-2022 12:37 PM

No license required to use the FRS channels but the instructions that come with most of the radios aren't very clear on requirements for the different channels.

hohenwald48 05-20-2022 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim18655 (Post 6186484)
Only 2 of many.

07/29/2016 The FCC has fined a Georgia radio amateur $1000 for failing to properly identify. A Forfeiture Order issued to David J. Tolassi, W4BHV, of Ringgold, was released on July 29. The FCC had proposed the fine 1 year ago in a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL), noting that Tolassi had been warned the previous summer about not following Part 97 ID rules.
06/02/2014 The FCC Enforcement Bureau has made public several warning notices issued over the past few months to radio amateurs. A couple of the letters from Special Counsel Laura Smith involved alleged infractions on 20 meters. On April 15, the FCC wrote Larry S. King, KI8NGS, of Owosso, Michigan, regarding failure to properly follow station identification rules on March 21.

Do those involve GMRS? Seems to look like amateur radio bands are being described.

I have found many articles that claim nobody has ever been charged or convicted for using a GMRS radio without a license. Is that incorrect?

Jim18655 05-20-2022 02:23 PM

My apologies for the confusion. I was referring to the post about Amateur enforcement.

jeanluc001 05-20-2022 02:57 PM

Why do you need a license to talk on a radio??

baraff 05-20-2022 03:28 PM

I'm old enough to remember when CB radio required a license. Eventually the FCC gave up and opened it up. The result was what we have today.

vroom_vroom 05-20-2022 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baraff (Post 6188152)
I'm old enough to remember when CB radio required a license. Eventually the FCC gave up and opened it up. The result was what we have today.


Enough people flooded the air without the license they had to pull they could’ve t regulate it. I doubt there is enough people out there with interest to do the same today.

TucsonAZ 05-21-2022 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohenwald48 (Post 6188023)
Do those involve GMRS? Seems to look like amateur radio bands are being described.

I have found many articles that claim nobody has ever been charged or convicted for using a GMRS radio without a license. Is that incorrect?


That was my thought but it's the internet so I figured why bother responding when the comment didn't even apply.

redbaron73 05-21-2022 06:44 AM

We use gmrs, Ham (2m/70cm), and Wifi/Voip

When doing convoy in the RVs GMRS with rooftop antenna gives terrific range. I am in the process of upgrading my MXT275 to a Chinese radio that acts as a repeater at 45W.

When boondocking, Wifi/voip works best. Everyone has a handheld cellular phone, and can use it to communicate on the voip chat or call easily with others. Much simpler than running handhelds, and allows for private communication.

Only a few of us are HAM licensed, so that is the least used but best range for known separation.

Rexlion 05-24-2022 12:36 PM

We boondock in the middle of nowhere to get away from it all, and then we spend the time chatting with other people. There's some irony. :D We humans are funny creatures.

Rodg495 05-24-2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 6184971)
Keep in mind the GMRS frequencies require a license and associated self-identification on the used channel, very similar to short-wave radio frequencies.

Easy to apply for the license, no test and I think it is $35. It's more of a registration ID than a license.

Rodg495 05-24-2022 02:42 PM

What channel do you use when traveling? Do you monitor RVs or Truckers?

Alpine36 05-24-2022 03:02 PM

Our convoy group has tried handheld GMRS and FRS. As mentioned, be prepared to install rooftop antennas if trying to travel in a group. My biggest complaint is the audio sucks, sounds like a scratchy transistor radio inside a garbage can is the best way to describe it. Our most common conversations were usually "can you repeat that please".
I know I'm in the minority, but our group has all switched back to simple Uniden or Cobra basic AM (or better) CBs and short vertical mount Firestick Fiberglas antennas. Garage sale finds mostly. Way better audio and range when trying to communicate thru the coach to traveling companions. Yes, hard to get a good swr match or better range in a Fiberglas and aluminum coach, but, IMHO, the better way to go. Oh, and the little kids have a blast with them too. All communications rig to rig suffer the same detriments. For outdoor line of sight use and backing up, tough to beat GMRS or FRS, but a properly tuned/matched CB with a 5/8 wave will out perform them every time.

73's Kokanee is on the side.
KACD6077 lol

Rodg495 07-03-2022 01:52 PM

Use of channels 8 thru 14 are FRS channels and DO NOT require a license or a call sign. However, they are low power channels - 1/2 watt.
Channels 1-7 and 15 thru 22 are higher wattages channels and require the GMRS license and call sign. When I'm out and about I use only part of my call sign. I do monitor channel 19 while on the road.

Alan_Hepburn 07-04-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodg495 (Post 6234143)
When I'm out and about I use only part of my call sign.


Which part of your call sign do you use - just the numerical part?


I found it interesting that the FCC seems to no longer use the standard geographical separation when assigning call signs: a W prefix indicated it was east of the Mississippi River and a K prefix was for the west. When I got my CB call sign (KFG2616) that was so; when I got my GMRS call sign (WRQD845) it makes me think that my home was moved east a couple of thousand miles without me knowing about it...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.