iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Navigation, Routes & Roads (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Garmin RV Camper 785 (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/garmin-rv-camper-785-a-581200.html)

Cloudbuster 05-19-2022 03:59 PM

Garmin RV Camper 785

I just learned Garmin only updates their maps every 4 months. Next update in June & the 2 errors we just found Iím told not make update until fall.

Our first error we discovered was our routing to Safe-T-Plus. The short story is Garmin took us onto a dead end road ending at a pond in a park, still telling us to turn left in 1 mile. There was no road. Oh & this was at 10 pm & very dark area.

Correct directions once off I-20 onto route 100 Golf Course road is first right once you pass under a overpass. Road is not marked. If you wind up at rout 78 you missed your turn. When I showed this to Safe-T-Plus they were shocked as there is no road. I called Garmin & they duplicated the problem & it will be in a future update.

Two days later Garmin was routing us from Highland NC to Frankline NC on route 64. Fortunately there is a big sign posted nothing longer than 30í. This we found out posted as of February 16, 2022. Again Garmin said fall update.

What form of navigation do others use for their Class A & pulling?

If you

NXR 05-19-2022 09:00 PM

I use an RV 785 and I plan my trips with RV Trip Wizard. RVTW can give "RV Safe" turn by turn directions so I compare the two and investigate any significant differences.

I also call the destination for their specific directions if they do not have anything specific posted on the web site (KOA does not) and ask them. That's saved us a few times.

For example, the Garmin and RVTW give the same directions to the Forsyth, GA KOA and they are both right but also both wrong.

Due to the entrance road configuration, you need to enter the KOA from the north. If you arrive from the south on I-75 you need to do a very sharp, tight U-turn and there is not enough room unless your total length is really, really short.

We watched a tag axle DP try it while towing a Jeep. It was a really bad decision for them.

Ray

Jeffcarp 05-20-2022 04:55 AM

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite tablet running the Trimble CoPilot navigation app in RV mode. If you go this route you have to buy the traffic subscription to get the best routing and ETA because it provides you with historical traffic data.

Viking257 05-20-2022 05:56 AM

I double check routes by looking at google maps and street view.
Only wrong turn I've made was in an rv park where the lady said make the first right after the check in building, which led me into a small parking lot. She should have said 2nd right. Had to unhook the Jeep to get turned around.

rtaggio 05-20-2022 06:39 AM

If I had $1 for every error my RV-785 displayed in the year I've used it, I could have replaced the entire motorhome that its mounted in.

Dash cam is awesome though :sad:

NXR 05-21-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtaggio
If I had $1 for every error my RV-785 displayed in the year I've used it, I could have replaced the entire motorhome that its mounted in.

Dash cam is awesome though :sad:

Odd. I think we may have had one weird routing in three years.

Ray