iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Price of a new Diesel Pusher (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/price-of-a-new-diesel-pusher-581357.html)

wnytaxman 05-25-2022 04:18 PM

Kid Gloves, you bring up a very good point. And maybe this is the crux of the entire discussion. That is value as opposed to price. Did we get our value out of our Aspire? Absolutely. Fabulous memories and great times which carry huge value. When one considers value, then perhaps price becomes less of concern. As others have said, if someone can afford coach A then go for it. If not, the go for what will give you the value at a price that is reasonable.

Kid Gloves 05-25-2022 05:33 PM

Actually, I was referring to the value of a tangible item, a motorhome, to be precise.

Nearly everyone will put a value of “priceless” on the “experience”. If that’s the case then there’s no point in discussing whether or not these things are worth the price of admission. Just drop every last dime on one and enjoy the journey. It will be worth it after all.

In reality, we all want priceless on a budget.

bentjm 05-25-2022 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Gloves (Post 6193180)
In our case, it is of absolutely no concern what value anyone puts on the coach, now or at some point in the future. It was paid for with mad money and it will have no impact on our financial situation if we sell it for $5.00 when we’re done enjoying it. We didn’t buy it because of what we though it might be worth some day.

I am with you here.

We bought in 2019 with the idea that if we gave it away in 6 years, it would be OK.

The current economic uncertainty has not changed that perspective.

diesel odor 05-26-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith55 (Post 6188590)
WOW!:eek:

I have been looking to get a little newer DP and have been looking at pricing. I was hoping to get the "Big Block" with at least the 1250 pounds of torque.

Yes, I know there is a lot to these rigs but have to admit I got a little sticker shock to see $650,000 as a "not out of line" price for RV's in this arena.

Never seriously looked at new before.

Many parts of the country you can buy a couple acres of land and a heck of a home for $650,000!! Yes, I know that is peanuts in Cali.

I guess there is just a completely different income class than me that can afford $650,000 whether they are full timing or as a heavily used get away.

Not sure why I felt the need to post except sheer shock of that price!

According to your signature you already own the big block 8.9 liter Cummins. You might not have the 450HP and 1250 Ft Ft Lbs torque but your 2007 Newmar Kountry Star has it, probably 350 Hp and 1050 Torque. I would be happy with that engine especially if it came with the rare engine brake not the exhaust brake. I consider any diesel with the Allison 4000MH transmission as a big block. My Monaco has an 8.3 with an Allison 3000MH and I believe all 8.9 have the 3000MH tranny also, even if they cost 650K.

cruizerEd 05-26-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith55 (Post 6188590)
WOW!:eek:

That's what I say about the price of a Newmar Kountry Star ;-)

TomH.ace 05-26-2022 03:52 PM

That's just crazy for most Americans.

I was "gifted" a 2004 33' gas Damon Class A with 15k miles. Minor damage from neglect. A year long project and $15k in materials and parts later, we have a freshly remodeled, updated rig that we love. I did almost everything myself as I'm very handy.
New List includes: roof and everything on it, 2 a/c's, awnings, rebuilt leveling jacks, LED lighting everywhere, commercial wallpaper, backsplash, built in electric fireplace, carpet in cockpit and lvp throughout the rest, new windshield (ouch!), faucets, water heater, ceramic toilet, mattress, double recliner, custom dining booth, 32" flatscreen in custom overhead cabinets, tpms, front & rear recording cam, and probably a bunch I'm forgetting. Lol
Before I get yelled, yes I did all the mechanical stuff too. Changed / flush fluids, replaced brake lines, calipers pads, turned rotors, new tires, tune up, etc
The point to my rambling, if you are able and determined, you don't have to be rich to have fun.
We've done 3 short distance trips (1500 miles total) and love it. Wife calls it her tiny house. 😇
Happy wife happy life.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find what you want!

patncris 05-26-2022 04:06 PM

New Versus Used

Unless you have more money than sense, heed the advice of previous posters!
Get out of the "I want new!" mindset...
In fact, consider a beautifully maintained pre-2010 coach from a manufacturer you trust. For us, that'll always be Tiffin. Why pre-2010? DEF, baby!
I read more gripes about DEF Injection System problems with DP's than anything.
We were lucky that a 2010 Allegro Bus at a way low price was presented to us, and it has been a gem...this beast hums down the road! (Knock on wood, right?)
But as a wise gent once counselled us: "You buy a million dollar coach, you buy a million dollars worth of problems; you buy a hundred thousand dollar coach..."
It was good advice, and we aren't sorry we followed it.
Be patient. Something will present itself that you absolutely love at a price you can live with...

Steve 716 05-26-2022 04:45 PM

It's just the way it is

As others have said, it's just the way it is for both old and new RVs. I kind of hope it stays this way for awhile because once I find a house I plan to sell my coach. There is nothing wrong with it and I keep my coach in excellent condition. For various reasons we just don't want to travel anymore.

kendall69 05-26-2022 04:53 PM

Better ways to spend 650K

I understand the argument for RVing and being able to "camp" in placed that have to hotel rooms, BUT, for 650K you could take many luxury cruises all over the world. Stay in the finest resort in exotic places, have room service every night, a beach cottage for a moth or two.

For 650K you could have, in my opinion a far great time that spending it on an RV. NO RV is worth that kind of money when you think of how alternatively you could spend that money.

Heck you could purchase nice cabin in the woods somewhere and camp every day on your own property sitting in front of your own river.

PeterFTH 05-26-2022 05:00 PM

If you find yourself envious consider the amount of warranty issues with new coaches. DEF issues - including one Cornerstone owner who was benched for 9 months waiting for a part. Is it really necessary, or even a good idea, to have a touch screen in your RV controlling everything ... I mean, how often do these systems fail? Heck (expletive deleted) you can pay 2,000,000 for some top end luxury RVs. I'm into my 2002 Travel Supreme 40DS maybe one and a quarter after 8 years ... plenty of headroom should something go wrong. Like the leveling valve I had replaced yesterday by a mobile truck service that ran over $900. It's all a matter of where the decimal point lands - you can have plenty of fun travel without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars just to get into the game.

Mvkingfish 05-26-2022 05:16 PM

An unastute observation

Kid Gloves 05-26-2022 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendall69 (Post 6194757)
I understand the argument for RVing and being able to "camp" in placed that have to hotel rooms, BUT, for 650K you could take many luxury cruises all over the world. Stay in the finest resort in exotic places, have room service every night, a beach cottage for a moth or two.

For 650K you could have, in my opinion a far great time that spending it on an RV. NO RV is worth that kind of money when you think of how alternatively you could spend that money.

Heck you could purchase nice cabin in the woods somewhere and camp every day on your own property sitting in front of your own river.

For many, $650K, or $1.5M is just part of the budget. It’s a toy. They likely have a second or third home and also take expensive vacations.

FredV 05-26-2022 07:19 PM

There are very high end 20 to 30 year old coaches out there that the interiors are still in excellent condition. Some I have seen have been stored indoors with exteriors that look like new. Most are priced between 80K and 250K. You can do a lot of updates including repowering for 400K to 570K.

suisunsam 05-26-2022 07:25 PM

It’s never a good idea to buy new unless you can afford a Newell-Newmar-marathon- and any coach over $700,000- you lose half the value when you drive it off the lot -we’re on our second coach - first was a gas holiday rambler - put 60,000 miles on it and sold it for what we bought it for - second coach is a DP country coach - have put 92,000 miles on it - bought it for a third of what original owner paid - it was 8 years old with 7000 miles - now 97,000 - and still going strong - word of mouth and rvtrader by owner sales is the way to go- dealers with used coaches escalate the cost 15 to 20 per cent - Motorhome is the only way to travel -