iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   PETERBILT as Private Coach (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/peterbilt-as-private-coach-585570.html)

rjfox 06-28-2022 08:17 AM

PETERBILT as Private Coach

At the end of the year I have to keep my PETERBILT out of CA running Commercial and thinking about pulling 5th wheel , hoping for info to Register it as Private coach and does it have to be part of a LLC ? what state gives least BS ?

Unplanned Tourist 06-28-2022 08:40 AM

I'm not sure about the US, but in Canada only commercial vehicles are required to stop at government scales, so if you have "Private Use" on the side and are pulling an RV, you are exempt from the commercial truck driver rules.

ps. I worked on trucks for 40 years and after 1986 we had the Peterbilt dealership for all of BC. So thumbs up for retiring your Pete as a RV tow rig. Any pictures? I hope it's a 379. :thumb: Classic. :cool:

oscarvan 06-28-2022 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjfox (Post 6228676)
At the end of the year I have to keep my PETERBILT out of CA running Commercial and thinking about pulling 5th wheel , hoping for info to Register it as Private coach and does it have to be part of a LLC ? what state gives least BS ?

There's a group of HDT conversion RV'ers on this forum: https://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/32-hdt/

Hope this is OK mods. OP would benefit greatly from the info there.

vyndance 06-28-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarvan (Post 6228746)
There's a group of HDT conversion RV'ers on this forum: https://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/32-hdt/

Hope this is OK mods. OP would benefit greatly from the info there.

There is also this group
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f21/

saddlesore 06-28-2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjfox (Post 6228676)

1st.. I think that the state with the least "BS" might be SD.[No annual rig inspections,no income tax, low sales tax rates, and no class xxx noncommercial type of drivers lic needed]

No, I do not believe you must register under an LLC. (IF and it's a BIG IF) You are LEGALLY DOMICILED in the state You are licensing the Rig/RV.
All that said.. BE AWARE
When registered as an RV.. You CANNOT Transport Anything under hire/for hire.. Including any Manufacturers, Dealer, or your buddy's 5'er down the street. moves of RV's.

oscarvan 06-28-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saddlesore (Post 6228768)
When registered as an RV.. You CANNOT Transport Anything under hire/for hire.. Including any Manufacturers, Dealer, or your buddy's 5'er down the street. moves of RV's.

I think you would win moving your buddy's unit as long as there was no renumeration.

saddlesore 06-28-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarvan (Post 6228789)
I think you would win moving your buddy's unit as long as there was no renumeration.

True Me thinks, But I was addressing a for hire situation.

Nwcid 06-28-2022 01:04 PM

Each state has a legal definition of what an RV/motorhome is. Find the state you want to register in and then find rules and definition.

There are some common themes, but it really varies by state.

If you are planning on staying in CA and want to register out of state SD seems to be the most common way to do this.

The link listed above is a good resource and there are a couple of very good Facbook groups dedicated to HDT for RV use. There are quite a few of us out there.

Toby Dog 06-29-2022 04:57 AM

I'm curious why the Peterbilt will be a nono commercially in Goofy Land after 12/31/2022. Emissions system too old?

saddlesore 06-29-2022 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Dog (Post 6229625)
I'm curious why the Peterbilt will be a nono commercially in Goofy Land after 12/31/2022. Emissions system too old?

Yes, I suspect that Cali emissions/CARB restraints are the culprit..
I tried to warn that even if You are registered as an RV, You are in deep DOO DOO if caught hauling for hire...
As for LLC's, I appears that Montana is the easiest to Do an LLC for licensing an RV to avoid your chosen Domicile state's Sales taxes. [or at least until Your caught..]

rjfox 06-29-2022 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Dog (Post 6229625)

Because of CA Air Resources Board they donít like my 97 550Cat , but CA wants all Electric at some point but screw them

Unplanned Tourist 06-29-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjfox (Post 6229870)
Because of CA Air Resources Board they donít like my 97 550Cat , but CA wants all Electric at some point but screw them

If they can't support the minimal few EV cars now, it will be very interesting to see how it turns out going all electric.

Your good old 3406E will still be pulling when all the electric rigs are looking for somewhere to get a charge. :thumb::thumb:

rjfox 06-29-2022 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist (Post 6229889)
If they can't support the minimal few EV cars now, it will be very interesting to see how it turns out going all electric.

Your good old 3406E will still be pulling when all the electric rigs are looking for somewhere to get a charge. :thumb::thumb:

Itís been a great Truck and Motor 2.6 million on it now and doesnít bother me a bit to run the country , canít get picture to come up

Unplanned Tourist 06-29-2022 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjfox (Post 6229914)
Itís been a great Truck and Motor 2.6 million on it now and doesnít bother me a bit to run the country , canít get picture to come up

There's a post somewhere telling you how to add pictures. Search for it. I would like to see a pic of your rig.