iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   220V electric stove installation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/220v-electric-stove-installation-585574.html)

deedeeg 06-28-2022 08:33 AM

220V electric stove installation

My sister lives in an Open Range 50 amp 5th wheel as her permanent residence, plugged into a power receptacle she had put in. She has always HATED the propane appliances. She does not use the furnace; both roof air conditioners are out of service, she has window air conditioners. Her gas wall oven recently also went bad, so she has purchased a 20" electric range, 220V. My question is: how should this new stove be wired into the circuit breaker box? I know there are 50 amps on each side. The stove requires 2 20amp breakers. Any help would be appreciated.

wolfe10 06-28-2022 08:41 AM

You will need to get a 50 amp duplex breaker.

So, new wires from each of those breakers (one will be L1, the other L2) plus a neutral and ground from their respective buss bars.

Wire size appropriate for 50 amps from there to the stove.

Make sure she is aware that she will need to "energy manage" if stove and oven draw approaches the 50 amps.

deedeeg 06-28-2022 09:04 AM

another question

Thanks for your quick reply. I have another question: In the breaker box, there is a two pole breaker, each pole 20. One pole is marked a/c, which she doesn't use, and the other pole, marked Conv, has been switched off since she bought the rv. So could that breaker be used for the stove?

Old Scout 06-28-2022 09:19 AM

Generally speaking, a 20-amp 220v stove shouldn't be an issue with a 50-amp RV. However, this assumes pedestal is properly wired for 50-amp phased power [true 220v measured across the two hots]. Modern wiring usually requires two hots, a neutral, and a ground, so OEM wiring may be an issue. Have seen some RV breaker boxes not set up for phased power, so a std double pole breaker doesnt achieve the required 220v phased power. IMHO, this is a bit beyond the typical DIY project--if in doubt, get a professional involved.

twinboat 06-28-2022 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deedeeg (Post 6228740)
Thanks for your quick reply. I have another question: In the breaker box, there is a two pole breaker, each pole 20. One pole is marked a/c, which she doesn't use, and the other pole, marked Conv, has been switched off since she bought the rv. So could that breaker be used for the stove?

It depends on the layout of the panel but probably not.

If the main 50 amp breaker is in the center with breakers right and left, then that 50 amp breaker needs to come out and relpaced with a quad breaker.

The quad breaker will have a linked pair of 50 amp breakers and a pair of linked 20 amp breakers.Attachment 369551

Alan_Hepburn 06-28-2022 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 6228788)
It depends on the layout of the panel but probably not.

If the main 50 amp breaker is in the center with breakers right and left, then that 50 amp breaker needs to come out and relpaced with a quad breaker.

The quad breaker will have a linked pair of 50 amp breakers and a pair of linked 20 amp breakers.Attachment 369551

And simply replacing the breaker won't complete the installation - you need to find the other end of the wires fed by the breakers and reroute them to the stove.