iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Floor Jack Ideas (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/floor-jack-ideas-585596.html)

surypap3 06-28-2022 11:34 AM

Floor Jack Ideas

What kind of jacks/stands do you have for working under the bus at home and mobile too in case of a flat? What lift points are used. For a tire change do you just lift with the leveling jacks and then brace with heavy duty Jack stand? Are a pair of 5 ton jack stands sufficient for an RV of 29000 lbs max?

carybosse 06-28-2022 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surypap3 (Post 6228875)
What kind of jacks/stands do you have for working under the bus at home and mobile too in case of a flat? What lift points are used. For a tire change do you just lift with the leveling jacks and then brace with heavy duty Jack stand? Are a pair of 5 ton jack stands sufficient for an RV of 29000 lbs max?

I can't answer for what people do in your situation, but two 5 ton jack stands are rated for 10,000 pounds. I would probably want to have a minimum rating on a jack stand I would use in your case of 7.5 tons, probably rather see 10 tons. (I have no clue if that is even a rating that can be purchased.)

Rodg495 06-28-2022 02:52 PM

I use a 10 bottle jack to lift an axle on one side. When I have to work under the coach I drive it up on a set solid 4 x 6 timbers with angle cuts at the end. I've made 4 of these to raise the rear or use 2 to drive the front end up on. Solid and safe.

n2zon 06-28-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carybosse (Post 6229034)
I can't answer for what people do in your situation, but two 5 ton jack stands are rated for 10,000 pounds. I would probably want to have a minimum rating on a jack stand I would use in your case of 7.5 tons, probably rather see 10 tons. (I have no clue if that is even a rating that can be purchased.)

Some jack stands are rated in pairs, and others individually. It's literally worth your life to be certain you have properly rated jackstands. READ THE LABELS. Many people assume all of them are rated one way or the other, which is not the case. Do NOT take my word or anyone else's for it. Look it up yourself and be sure.

I have a pair of 10 ton (each) jackstands, which are plenty for my rear axle weight. I have an air-over-hydraulic jack for lifting but it stays home. Away from home we'll use a tire service. Also, we have no spare in the Bus.

On the Winnie, which weighed about half what the Bus weighs and did have a spare, I'd use a bottle jack, jack stand, and portable electric impact wrench to change a tire if the need arose. I had to to it once on the road, fortunately the curb side rear outer. But I won't even attempt doing it outside my driveway for the Bus. "Hello, Coachnet...?"

surypap3 06-29-2022 06:14 PM

Good thoughts. Thank! Sort of related, what ramps do you use to level bus before putting down the bus levelers. My driveway has a left to right pitch that would require the wheel to be up in the air in order to level