iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Check your fenders (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/check-your-fenders-586005.html)

T_Roy 07-02-2022 09:43 AM

Check your fenders

While cleaning my 2015 Cornerstone the other day I found my passenger side rear fender loose at the top. All of the attachment points toward the bottom were fine but the top of the fender would flop in and out about 6 inches. There were 3 two inch long self tapping bolts along the top that had pulled out of the fiberglass. I got some more bolts and a 1/8 drill bit to drill pilot holes and put new ones in different spots. Also I went back with 5 of them instead of 3.

Gary.Jones 07-02-2022 10:31 AM

Thanks..... Good to know.

Others have talked about occasional problems with loose side wheel fender panels but good to have reminders so we can all check again.

Thanks

Gary

737 Driver 07-02-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_Roy (Post 6233031)
While cleaning my 2015 Cornerstone the other day I found my passenger side rear fender loose at the top. All of the attachment points toward the bottom were fine but the top of the fender would flop in and out about 6 inches. There were 3 two inch long self tapping bolts along the top that had pulled out of the fiberglass. I got some more bolts and a 1/8 drill bit to drill pilot holes and put new ones in different spots. Also I went back with 5 of them instead of 3.

I had the same issue a while back. Thx for the reminder, I will check again so it won’t blow off or brake.

Sincerely, Tor
2017 Anthem 44B

Gary.Jones 07-02-2022 05:47 PM

The fender and the paint job would only be about $10,000.... :D

Gary

brobox 07-03-2022 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_Roy (Post 6233031)

Good that you brought this back for those that are new owners of Classics. That was a common problem on the Classics. The screws rusted out. Many of us changed them to stainless steel screws. The front inner fender was another problem. I used 1.5 inch concrete screws, they hold better than sheet metal screws are weather proof, and it's what I had on hand. :D They held great and didn't rust.

GCSuper 07-03-2022 07:50 AM

I've found the same issue on my Newmar Ventana. I really don't like those self tapping screws that are used throughout the coach. Seems like the drill part is too big and the screws back out over time. I've replaced the ones I find loose with new ones and add a little loctite.

Cruzer 07-03-2022 08:35 AM

I've had that happen a number of times on the right-rear fender. The idea of a self-tapping screw into thin fiberglass just doesn't work very well - especially when they are installed with power tools. The fiberglass strips out easily. I had to drill a new hole along side of the original and replace the screw with one with clean threads. It holds for a few years then I do it all over again.

LWBAZ 07-05-2022 08:37 AM

Same issue on our 2018 Cornerstone, driver's side rear. Really dumb design, using lag bolts into thin fiberglass.

dave&ginny 07-05-2022 11:15 AM

The worst one I had was the front drivers side.

The whole electrical cabinet was pushing down in that compartment. It took some doing, but I was able to unscrew the box holding the electrical components and then reattached the whole fender with multiple bolts and screws. Once the fender was re-hung I attached the electrical cabinet again.