iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Country Coach Owners Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Shear Pin/Slide Issue (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/shear-pin-slide-issue-71902.html)

netslinc 07-21-2010 11:52 AM

Shear Pin/Slide Issue

We are new owners of a 2004 CC Inspire and have had issues with one of our slides torqueing when going in and/or out and the shear pins have broken. Anyone here had this problem and can offer a solution?? Thanks for any help you can give!!

bdpreece 07-21-2010 12:03 PM

Which slide? Hydraulic or electric? Company that built the slide system?

netslinc 07-21-2010 03:18 PM

Slide/Shear Pin Issue

The slides are by Power Gear and are equipped with electric motors with shafts and pinion gears. We have four slides altogether -- no issues with other three - just the galley slide.

wa8yxm 07-21-2010 05:48 PM

Depending on the model the shear pins are either quarter inch grade8 (As I recall) bolts either 1 or 1.25 inches long or... Roll pins.

And the only solution I know is to buy 'em by the dozen.

William Willard 07-21-2010 05:59 PM

Make sure the motor mounting bolts/screws are tight, & shafts are in line -- 1/4inch grade 8 bolts will do for shear pins --The shear pins/ bolts have to be tight also, or you will wear an oval shape into the shaft where it connects to the gears -- I have a Monaco, but the operations are the same -- I`ve had the same problem, & carry spare bolts -- Bill Willard

InfinityJim 07-21-2010 06:01 PM

If the pins continually break I would be checking alignment. The bolts have a shear strength and will break once that is exceeded. The question is why, is the room not square in the hole & binding? Oh course bolts get old and rusty which causes the shear to decrees, but with a new one installed and the room aligned correctly & no bind, you shouldn’t need to carry a dozen of them.

Good Luck!

wa8yxm 07-21-2010 08:07 PM

Jim... On my coach I've checked and checked and still snap them like toothpicks.

I think I may put a "Bad Connection" in the motor lead if I can find the resistor

elgarc 07-21-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa8yxm (Post 673266)
Jim... On my coach I've checked and checked and still snap them like toothpicks.

I think I may put a "Bad Connection" in the motor lead if I can find the resistor

I snap our largest slide frequently, I think my desk is heavier at one side than the other end. Care to explain the procedure and advantage of the "bad connection" idea??

RV Wizard 07-22-2010 03:45 AM

There should be a small relay board that the slide out motor is connected through. It is designed to limit the current to the motor as well as control it from the switch. If all else is good with the slide out (mechanism has been lubricated, square in main wall and drive alignment is correct) there could be a problem with this relay board. Find out the amperage draw of the motor and above conditions and let us know what you find.

mahon1993 07-22-2010 04:56 AM

I had the shear pins [bolts] on my Diplomat break when we first got it. The problem I found was that Monaco used 1/4" bolts that were too long so they added a bunch of flat washers under the head of the bolt so they could tighten up the nut. What this did was let the force of the turning shaft bear against the threads of the bolt and not against the shank. I replaced all the bolts [shear pins] with proper lenght ones and have not had any problem since. I do carry extra bolts but never had to use them.
Greg

netslinc 07-22-2010 06:26 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. We'll keep working at it and let you know if we resolve the issue!

Ernie n Tara 07-22-2010 09:59 AM

Not to change the discussion, but does anyone know for sure that the same pins are used for an '06 Georgie Boy Pursuit? I've got the slide out and pin out, but unfortunately, the last shop that replaced one Kluged it with roll pins and lost the real pin before I could measure it. The roll pins also "ovaled" the hole in the sleeve, but I can probably handle that problem. Note that the original pin had cotter key(s) holding it in, not nuts.
Suggestions or comments also appreciated.
Thanks,
Ernie

This is the LR (refrig & booth) slide on a 32DS

Final thought - Has anyone just added a new hole thru sleeve and shaft with a new pin?

William Willard 07-22-2010 11:16 AM

Ernie -- The pin being loose is what ovaled the shaft -- Mine did the same thing -- I removed the shaft, which on mine is 2 square tubes , & cut the oval end off -- I drilled new holes, using a drill press, so the holes were in line, then cut about 1 1/2" from the larger square tube, drilled new holes, & slipped that over the smaller tube -- That reinforced the tube where it had ovaled -- Used 1/4" grade 8 bolts with locking nuts, & tightened the heck out of them -- No more problems yet -- My slide is heavy - A hide a bed couch & a 14cf refer -- Bill Willard

Larry Geese 07-22-2010 11:21 AM

03 Camelot. Was leaving one morning "Snap" sheared the pin on the rear slide. Now what? My neighbor had a stick welder. Sounds crude, but welded the great to the shaft, no more problems. I would do it again if I had to.
Larry Geese