iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   AC Circuits not energized by Inverter (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/ac-circuits-not-energized-by-inverter-72360.html)

Greg from Pittsburgh 07-28-2010 05:07 PM

AC Circuits not energized by Inverter

First time I've prepared to camp without shore power or generator and I noticed that there is no power to the AC circuits located on the kitchen counter and that's the primary circuit I'd like to power (coffee maker). What gives? Do I need to rewire that circuit somehow?

RJay 07-28-2010 05:21 PM

After you check the breakers in the main AC panel check the GFI recepticle in the bathroom.

TerryM 07-28-2010 05:22 PM

Greg,

If you're lucky you won't have to overthink this (like I did once). Make sure the Ground-fault isn't tripped by your bathroom sink. That would kill power to all the kitchen outlets...at least it did on my coach.

Old Scout 07-28-2010 06:24 PM

Are you getting inverted 120v power elsewhere in the coach? If so, the GFI plug is a good bet. If not, double check that your inverter is on at the control panel and that the fuse at the inverter and the 120v breakers in the bathroom are all good to go.

wa8yxm 07-28-2010 06:56 PM

There are 3 common ways to install an inverter

small inverters (Under 1,000 watts) usually power JUST the television or radio and related electronics (Sat Receiver, DVD, VCR)

When we get into the 1500-2000 the kitchen is added (microwave/outlet)

Over 3,000 they sometimes add more stuff.

Are your sure your inverter is up to coffee in the morning?

EngineerMike 07-28-2010 07:00 PM

Hopefully somebody who owns or owned an 01-ish rig will chime in as the earlier rigs w/earlier inverters may have been wired differently.
The ACA Tech Library may have wiring diagram showing how the 01 (or a nearby year) is wired downstream of the inverter.

Greg from Pittsburgh 07-28-2010 09:13 PM

So I checked the bathroom GFI and all is well, in fact it appears that the only outlets not working are the three in the kitchen. Microwave and Dishwasher work but no power to the outlets at the counter! I will look through the wiring diagrams and see if I spot anything or maybe Ill just pull the cover off the breaker panel and see what's up. Thanks for the input, I hadn't thought of checking that GFI.

Greg from Pittsburgh 07-29-2010 06:49 AM

OK, found the issue....there are two AC panels behind the door, one is powered by the inverter (the small brown one) and the other is not (larger gray panel)...I'm going to try to rewire the counter outlets from the gray box to the brown box, wish me luck!

RJay 07-29-2010 10:39 AM

What size is your inverter??

dgerstel 07-29-2010 10:54 AM

Greg,

Did you find where the power loss is there? Is it just a bad breaker?
If you do re-wire like stated, you will have no inverter power to those outlets. An area that can cause your problem, if there is power out of the breaker box, are 2 junction boxes, one at each end of the power cord into the slide. I would trace the power at each of these boxes and check for loose wire nuts.

Refuse1 07-29-2010 03:25 PM

My 2001 has power to the kitchen outlets from the inverter. I would be leary of rewiring as something must be wrong. I am positive that WRV was thinking of the coffee maker when they wired the inverter into the coach. It has to be something simple.

Greg from Pittsburgh 07-29-2010 03:54 PM

It appears that the entire gray panel is not powered by the inverter, all circuits coming from the gray panel are dead unless you are running the generator or on shore power. I was successful rewiring the counter lead from the gray panel to the small brown panel and now all is well. Unfortunately, there were no spare breakers in the brown panel so I just paired it with another circuit.

dgerstel 07-29-2010 04:11 PM

The gray panel is used for the power in from the gen and shore power. The inverter is fed from that panel and the power from the inverter is supplied to the coach thru the brown panel. When shore or gen power is available, the power is passed thru the inverter. The counter outlets are powered from the inverter in all of the Alpines that I have seen.

EngineerMike 07-29-2010 08:09 PM

Check the gray panel "Inverter" breaker by turning it full off, then fully on. If it tripped for some reason it may look as tho it is on but be in the need-to-be-reset position. If it has any give at all when pushed toward the On position, it has likely tripped and needs resetting by full Off, then full On.