iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Awning stitching problem (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/awning-stitching-problem-76279.html)

saddlecreek 09-28-2010 05:02 PM

Awning stitching problem

Maybe someone can help me resolve my awning problem. It rained today and I noticed rain coming down over the doorway with the awning opened. After I looked up I saw pin holes along the stitching just about where the awning joins at the motorhome. I actually saw daylight thru the pinholes. The awning is not torn it appears that the stitching holes may have been expanded because the stitching is still intact.

If anyone has encountered this problem how did you resolve it short of removing the awning. It there some type of glue or whatever to seal the holes?

rex 09-28-2010 10:57 PM

Yep, take the awning off, take it to an awning company and have them restitch it. If you live near a coast, find a boat shop that works on sails and boat covers and they can do the job. The sun and water standing against the awning have rotted the thread. No big deal other than getting it off the coach.

Barbara S. 09-28-2010 11:23 PM

I have the same problem with mine and it is coming loose at both ends. Is there an alternative to taking it to an awning shop? I cannot get mine off and other than paying an RV repair company probably $100 to remove it then $??? to repair it and another $100 to reinstall it. I have tried awning tape and that does not hold at that point.

saddlecreek 09-29-2010 12:26 PM

Hi Barbara

As I understand your reply is the seam coming apart due to the stitching undoing?
If that is your problem you can repair it by going to a sporting supply store and obtain a product that repairs seams on tents. Especially the flaps on tents that are notorious for undoing. Or go on the internet and look up tent repair. That should get you started.

My problem was the stitching was all intact but where the stitching holes opened up.
I resolved my problem by contacting the manufacturer of the awning and he recomended rubbing parrafin wax along the seam to cover the holes.
I just completed the chore and we will see the next time it rains if it corrects the problem.
Good luck with your project.

Barbara S. 09-29-2010 09:48 PM

Yes, you are correct - the thread has just disappeared but the holes are fine. I will check at Academy. THANKS!!! :clap:

Lorna 09-29-2010 10:10 PM

RV awnings are not really designed to be waterproof. We ended up sealing our fabric Carefree awning with a can of waterproofing that I bought at ACE hardware (it was in the paint section).

OldChief7155 09-30-2010 09:00 AM

Go to any hardware store and buy a "Speedy Stitcher" sewing awl. I use it on my Jeep top to repair rotted stitching and works like a charm with just a few minutes practice. Stronger than original stitching too.