Hope we don't fall through the bedroom!!!
We have now verified we have the dreaded water intrusion causing the floor problems previously discussed on another thread.:banghead:
It was actually that thread that caused me to go out and look carefully at our bedroom floor, and noticed a lot of rust on the plastic like sheeting on the bottom. Seemed soft in spots, so I gave Jack a call. This was near the end of Aug, and as we would be in MN through Sept for our sons wedding, we were hoping we could get in and get fixed if needed in Oct.
Unfortunately, Smith Center was scheduled up about four months out, but Jack said if we wanted to we could stop by and they could take a look to see if there was a problem, but they wouldn't be able to work on it.
We stopped today on our way south, and Ralph verified that the bedroom floor is shot, and the other two slide floors also have water problems. Its particularly frustrating as we have had all the work and the maintainance that has been done on our rig since we bought it new in "08" done at Smith Center. A fall visit, and two spring visits. This past spring, while in PI for maintenance, check and caulk as needed, etc, they noted that the roofs on both large slides needed to be replaced, which they did. I guess the floor problems were not visible yet at that time.
So anyway, Ralph assured us we won't fall through the bedroom some night this winter, with our bed and us landing in the desert. While I'm sure it would cause some interesting conversation, me thinks it wouldn't be a pretty sight :sad:
We will now make a detour to Smith Center in the spring, on our still hoped for trip to Alaska.
In case anyone is wondering, Sunset Park in Smith Center is wonderful this time of year. We'll hang out here a day or two, then get back on our route south.
The Squirrel has joined you in your leak in your bedroom slide. We were getting ready to go to our Texas Excel rally when I found rust on the screws on the bottom of the bedroom slide. I then pushed my finger into the soft sponge like floor on the cornier of the slide out floor and found the dreaded leak. :confused:
An RV dealer who was attending the rally told me where he thought the leak was coming from, so I bought some eternabond seam sealant and put it on yesterday. My Excel stays in a covered stall 90% of the time, so I won't know if I solved the problem until I head for South Padre Jan. 1, 2011.
Let me know where they think the water is coming in when you get the repairs done, in case I didn't solve the problem. :eek: I also have a 2008.
As someone who has had to repair various moisture problems in the time that I have had the Beast....none have been related to the slide floors. Sorry you have the problems, as I know how frustrating it can be.
I looked at my bedroom slide floor this morning and re-checked the floor area. This is an older picture, a lot dirtier now...:cool:...and as of yet haven't replaced all the screws to stainless, as it will be done when I do several other slide projects in the future.
I notice that you both have 2008 models. As I don't get out often and on a short leash...could you post a picture of the area where the leak is at and the type of trim you have? I'm a visual guy.
Squirrel, where did the dealer think the problem started from?
Ralph said he believes the leaks come from the front top of the slides, where the corners come together. Apparently the water sits up there and finds it way down the inside. I'm not sure if I can get pictures, but if I can and get them posted I will.
On a positive note, it turns out that Curtis is going to work us into the plant. Unfortunately, we were already down the road about 300 miles when I got his voice mail, but for peace of mind and to avoid a detour next spring, we are going to turn around and go back. He said as long as we could be patient, as they need to keep the line running. We have lots more patience than money, so we took him up on the offer.
As I said, this stuff is frustrating, but I have found their willingness to stand behind their product, and the customer service to be as good as it gets.
Work, the dealer thought it was on the top corner where it had a bulge in the strip that holds down the rubber roof. I am going to try to take some pictures and post. I have ordered more tape. I have ordered 50 ft of 4 inch tape to tape the strip on both sides of the slide out. I used the 6 inch tape for the top corner.
I just finished putting the final tape down for the leak problem. :thumb: You will notice in the picture where I taped the roller to the slide out. :facepalm: You need to activate the tape with a roller so that it will give it a permanent bond. You will also note where I taped it on the bottom by 1/4 inch. I have about a one and a half inch leeway from where the roller runs its course on the black paper.
With this tape I should not ever have to worry about caulking again. :dance: One of the major problems I ran into is if I ever have to remove the steel strip on the slide out. :eek: Note that I also ran the tape down the metal strip on the side of the slide out. The last picture was taken prior to adding the tape.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.