iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Water pressure prob 2005 Executive (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/water-pressure-prob-2005-executive-77781.html)

boaterok 10-21-2010 06:32 PM

Water pressure prob 2005 Executive

Heres the deal when hooked up to city water (and I have even unreeled the whole water hose) when taking a shower I have good pressure for a while then it falls to almost nothing (then I turn on the pump) but if I leave the pump off and cut off the shower water after a minute or so it will pressure back up to only go to nothing again and we go through the whole ritual again or turn on the pump. When checking other faucets when the water pressure goes down the sinks show a slow little stream also so its not just the shower but the shower uses the most water the quickest. Thanks Roger

Twomed 10-21-2010 09:47 PM

Low water presure in park? I carry a pressure gauge (Home Depot) to check...especially for high pressure. :)

boaterok 10-21-2010 09:58 PM

I have a brass contraption from Camping World with gauge that shows 45 PSI. I have tried to remedy this problem both at a campground and back at my warehouse and both read from 40-45 psi

pipedream2 10-22-2010 06:37 AM

Boatorok
on th city water connection there is a pressure regulater and back flo valve built in and it gets partially plugged ...from lime ,calcium ect from camp water over time and needs to be taken out and cleaned.Your problem in not pressure....evedent when pressure drops ...in the shower after the pressure tank bladder has relieved its storred water. your problem is volumn getting through a partially plugged regulator.Try a test with the pump on....which doesn't go through the reg and see .

Mike Canter 10-22-2010 07:05 AM

A couple of things. The water regulator that we all use comes in two categories. A regular flow and a high flow. I was really surprised as to how much my flow increased whe I switched. The high flows are about $12 and you have to look on the packaging real carefully to see the word High Flow. That was informational and I don't think is the cause of the problem but they can get debris in them that can restrict the flow.

I agree with pipedream2. Change that one way valve that is between your hose reel and the system. It is normally gray plastic and about three inches long. Mine sits right on top of the hose reel. They make an exact replacement gray one and they make a better brass one.

boaterok 10-22-2010 08:37 AM

I will look for that valve monday when I get back home. Can you get those at a hardware store or is it a RV only store thing. Thanks For the help. Roger

Mike Canter 10-22-2010 08:42 AM

RV store only. Get the brass one if you can. Also I recommend getting the High Flow regulator.

boaterok 10-24-2010 03:53 PM

Well I found the back flow valve and it appears clean but I will get a brass one since I am here. I also took my Camping World water pressure regulator out of the chain and things did improve inside. So I guess a highflow pressure regulator and back flow valve and I should be good to go. One last question? When I get a highflow regulator and a new back flow valve should the pressure at the shower head be the same wether I am on city water or the electric pump in the coach???? Or what kind of pressure should the pump put out?

Mike Canter 10-24-2010 05:07 PM

The back flow valve may be clean but may not be opening all the way. Also on the High Flow regulators there are two different pressures available. There are 45 psi and there are 50 psi ones. Make sure you get the higher one. The best one is the Valterra in brass part number A01-1113VP or for a little more money in stainless steel part number A01-1114VP. Both of these are set at 50 psi.

I am not sure what my pump puts out. I think mine is up around 60 psi. Some are 40, some are 50 and some are 65 psi. Depends on the make and model. Give me the make and model and I can tell you more.

boaterok 10-24-2010 06:43 PM

Mike, where do you purchase these Valterra pressure regulators from? And tomorrow I will search out the pump make and model. This problem has been bothering me since I got the 05 Executive used two years ago. I figured it had to be something I wasn't doing right or hadn't done right since the previous owner had been more than helpful. Thanks again Roger

Mike Canter 10-24-2010 06:56 PM

Most RV stores carry the Valterra products. They are the most popular regulators out there.

Are you saying you pump puts outmore water through the shower than when on city water or less? There is normally a filter right on the input of the pump that sometimes needs changing.

If you can't find a brass check valve then get a gray one like you already have. They are only around $6 and they work OK. I just prefer the brass ones.

I also have to be real careful on the hose on the hose reel. If I don't let it out all the way it can be bent where it fits onto the reel hose connection and limit the flow. What about water filters, do you have any inline filters? If so when were they changed last?

boaterok 10-24-2010 07:25 PM

The pump puts out more water!!! I have also unreeled the waterhose all the way just to make sure it wasn't kinked or collapsed. Yes it has a couple of filters but wouldn't it go through those filters anyway regardless of city water or pump pressured water. I haven't changed them in the 2 years that I have had it but then I keep it in a warehouse and have only put 5k miles on it. Its a 45' Monaco Executive so it has more bells and whistles than one needs and ten can keep up with.

Mike Canter 10-24-2010 08:37 PM

Your water system is probably identical to my 2004 Signature system. They probably even have the same water pumps. I will go over to my Sig tomorrow and look at the routing of the city water and refresh my mind where it ties into the main water system and what can be different between the pump and the hose. My one way check valve failed earlier this year and I had to replace it. The most obvious cause would be your hose end regulator and that it is eatither too low of a pressure or not enough flow. I think the best thing to do at this point is try a new high flow regulator and see if it fixes it.

Beauregard 10-24-2010 08:54 PM

All good answers. Worked at a water treatment plant 31 years.
My guess would be you are camping in an area with hills that makes flow to higher elevations difficult,,, or the park has an undersized water service tap. Before you spend much money try the pressure test. Another thing to know. Good pressure does not always mean good flow. People aften confuse pressure (PSI) and flow (GPM) gallons per minute.