iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   After brake recall, I smell brakes?? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/after-brake-recall-i-smell-brakes-80293.html)

JWatkins 12-01-2010 06:39 PM

After brake recall, I smell brakes??

After having my brake recall done, which changed the fluid and shoes and calipers, I always smell the brake smell when I stop?? I don't think this is "normal" is it? I didn't have this coach from new so I am not sure about this at all.

tmh462 12-01-2010 06:46 PM

You may get a "smoldering brakes" smell for a few hundred miles after a brake job. If it persists, you should have it checked out, because it means the brakes may be dragging.

Max Hubrich 12-01-2010 07:10 PM

Joe-

It's possible that during the brake flush some brake fluid got on the pads, rotors, etc. Watch it closely, look for draging pads and an overheat situtation. If none of these things are happening, your probably good to go. If your near the repair facility that did the work on your rig, go see them.

RJay 12-01-2010 07:12 PM

I recommend you take your motorhome back to whoever did your break job and let him check it. It may be nothing but let him make that determination.

mfire1339 12-01-2010 07:36 PM

How about the parking brake operation? Is it working ok?

Mike

JWatkins 12-02-2010 07:45 AM

Good info, thanks. I will check the parking brake for sure. If it doesn't go away soon, I will take it to the repair station. Thanks all.
Joe

DriVer 12-02-2010 08:31 PM

I'm hoping that it's the new pads possibly getting used to the old rotors or something evaporating off the brakes! It could be the eBrake so indeed rule that out. :thumb:

gg 12-03-2010 09:35 AM

I had Brake smell for the first 500 miles on my NEW coach when it was factory fresh at 27 miles. So if you have new pads and rotors it would be normal. IMHO.

Full-Timers 12-03-2010 08:23 PM

Normal assumes they all (or at least a majority) of them do that. It may be OK but I wouldn’t call it normal.

John47 12-05-2010 04:20 PM

Brake smell

Before heading south to Arizona in October I had the brake recall done at Brazels in Centrailia Washington. Great job by them, and no need for any replacement of rotors or anything else. With over 30,000 miles on the coach I still had over half of all brake pads left. I decided to get brand new pads anyway and hopefully not have to be concerned about the brakes in the near future. I drove south on I-5 and made to Hesperia California with no problems of any kind. I then went south on highway 15 down a 7 mile descent which I have traveled down with the same coach for the last four years (Once a Year). I used the grade brake as I always have down all grades. I stabbed the brakes intermitantly to hold down my speed to 45. When nearing the bottom of the grade I had really bad brake smell :eek:. So I pulled over on the interstate and checked it out. The smell dissipated and eveything was working fine. So I went to Redlands RV and they pulled the front wheels and checked the back brakes. Everything was fine. No problems :thumb:. They thought it was just break-in of the pads. Redlands was great as always:dance:. They were surprised I drove all the way from Washington without the smell. Conclusion was I was too easy on the brakes on the trip down, so no break-in until the steep grade. :facepalm:

JohnRR 12-05-2010 04:49 PM

Not being overly familiar with WH brakes it's not uncommon for brakes on larger trucks to have the initial smell, it even varies with in the same manufactures line of linings with some smelling more than others while others do not smell at all.

DriVer 12-05-2010 08:04 PM

As soon as the brake pads get seated in this should not be an issue any further. Coming off of 7% grades on the I40 in TN and NC I controlled my rate of descent by using my Allison Ultrapower Grade Brake and a hefty 2 to 3 second push as required on the brakes to scrub speed to the point where I was able to descend comfortably at 55 MPH.

JWatkins 12-05-2010 11:10 PM

Thanks everyone. I am breathing easier. I haven't had and opportunity to check the emergency brake yet, but I will the next time I have the coach out. If HWH finally comes through with new solenoids I will be in the desert between Christmas and New Years.
Joe

DriVer 12-06-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWatkins (Post 747903)
If HWH finally comes through with new solenoids I will be in the desert between Christmas and New Years.

Joe, The word IF and HWH don't usually coincide. I expect that they will come through for you! ;) Good luck.