iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   Bounder: Window valance (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/window-valance-82928.html)

Elkhartjim 01-14-2011 02:40 PM

Window valance

I'm planning my Norcold change out to a residential refrigerator and I've decided the easiest egress is a side window. I need to remove the valance prior to removing the blasted day/night shade and then the window but so far I've found only one screw at the bottom of each side of the valance. I'm going try using a magnet to locate any screws hidden at the top. Major question, you don't think they glued the valance to the wall do you?

Thanks for any input.

okie-dokie 01-14-2011 03:01 PM

Valance

Jim, I just restrung my shades yesterday. each side valance has (1) screw at the bottom. The top has three screws. That is if your mtr hm is like my Fleetwood Revoultion.

NLOVNIT 01-14-2011 03:05 PM

3 screws on the top, too, on our Bounder valances. They're a bear to get to. Needed my small hands to get up in there with a manual screwdriver (the battery pistol grip one was too big).

Lori-

Elkhartjim 01-14-2011 06:22 PM

Were you able to feel the screws on top? I easily found the ones on each side of the bottom.

NLOVNIT 01-14-2011 06:33 PM

It was pretty difficult. They were well screwed in, imbedded in some of the the fabric wrapped around the the valances. The 2 on the outside were not right on the corners, but a little ways in. At first I thought that was it until the darned thing still wouldn't let loose & I found another closer to the middle. I stripped that one getting it out.

Lori-

Elkhartjim 01-14-2011 06:36 PM

Thanks Lori and also thanks for making me a ton.

NLOVNIT 01-14-2011 06:58 PM

They probably would've come out easier if the stupid things hadn't gotten caught in the material. The threads in the material just wrapped around the screws like a noose & locked them in place. I was up under there with cuticle scissors to get the material off the screws. Lots of cussin' went on that day. :mad:

Lori-

Elkhartjim 01-15-2011 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 770935)
They probably would've come out easier if the stupid things hadn't gotten caught in the material. The threads in the material just wrapped around the screws like a noose & locked them in place. I was up under there with cuticle scissors to get the material off the screws. Lots of cussin' went on that day. :mad:

Lori-

Two questions.

The top screws are under/inside not on top of the valance?

Do you remove the day/night shade first?

Comment: UGH!:banghead:

CLIFFTALL 01-15-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elkhartjim

Two questions.

The top screws are under/inside not on top of the valance?

Do you remove the day/night shade first?

Comment: UGH!:banghead:

Yes and yes. The day/night shaded are screwed into the valance. A loooong screw driver helps.

Rick Long 01-15-2011 10:02 AM

Remove the shades first... then go to Amazon and buy a #2 Philips extension bit ( it's about 6" long) and then the valance is a piece of cake to remove and install. Use the extention bit with an electric drill ... most of the cordless screw drivers are not strong enough to do the job.

Amazon.com: Tooluxe Pro-Grade 6-Inch Philips Screwdrive Bits Extension with Magnetic Tip, 1/4" Hex Shank (Pack of 5): Home Improvement

New2this 01-17-2011 09:00 AM

I just removed all of the valances on my 2003 Storm for a remodeling project. I found that a long phillips screw driver was sufficient to remove the overhead screws (with some effort). However, if I did it again I would use the extension on my drill as previously discussed. I also found that the number of screws varied in location and number (usually 3 but sometimes just two). The screws on the bottom sides were hidden in the material but found them by exploring (a magnet would have worked also). Now that I have removed alll of them - I see that removing the day/night shades at this point would be easier (in my opinion). Hope this helps.

Bob

tgarverick 01-18-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elkhartjim (Post 770795)
I'm planning my Norcold change out to a residential refrigerator and I've decided the easiest egress is a side window. I need to remove the valance prior to removing the blasted day/night shade and then the window but so far I've found only one screw at the bottom of each side of the valance. I'm going try using a magnet to locate any screws hidden at the top. Major question, you don't think they glued the valance to the wall do you?

Thanks for any input.

Try removing the bottom screws for the valance first. Get the shade out of the way so you can look between the shade and the window. Get a long phillips screwdrive and remove the 3 screws holding the top of the valance. Remove the valance and the shade. The shade is attached to the same piece of wood that forms the valance top.
Not easy but doable.

Elkhartjim 01-18-2011 02:45 PM

Thanks good folks for all the information. You have confirmed what I've been thinking for a long time. They ain't never built two of these suckers alike.

On my valance I have two screws under the top valance on the inside between the shade and the valance. I have one screw on each side of the vertical valance, one on the bottom of one side and one on the side of the other side.

I haven't tried removing the screws yet and of course may find more...who would of thunk it?

NLOVNIT 01-18-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elkhartjim (Post 773119)
...They ain't never built two of these suckers alike.

Dime to a dollar, the coach on the assembly line before yours & after yours has the screws in different places.

Lori-