iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   awning metal cover (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/awning-metal-cover-83335.html)

Johnandcara2 01-20-2011 09:44 PM

awning metal cover

I noticed today that the black paint/ coating was coming off on our main awning. Dometic weatherpro , So I call Dometic and they don't make a black cover ? Can it be painted by body shop or DIMYself Anyone had this happen ? 2007 Fleetwood Providence 39L:nonono:

CLIFFTALL 01-21-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnandcara2 (Post 774725)
I noticed today that the black paint/ coating was coming off on our main awning. Dometic weatherpro , So I call Dometic and they don't make a black cover ? Can it be painted by body shop or DIMYself Anyone had this happen ? 2007 Fleetwood Providence 39L:nonono:

:confused: Then what color do they make? I noticed that when I was wiping off some wax recently that the rag was black:eek:.

gripper 01-21-2011 07:32 AM

Mine started flaking off also. I have "spot painted it" in several places. Appears as if the metal won't allow the paint to stick to it. That, or the factory didn't use the proper primer, before painting.

The General 01-21-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnandcara2 (Post 774725)

DIY would be the way I would proceed:

Deep clean surface with TSP then let dry.
Mask around complete metal casing.
Spray paint zinc primer /thin coat.
Do not allow drip marks
Let dry
Spray paint medium gloss black Rustolium paint /thin coat.
Let dry
Spray paint medium gloss black Rustolium paint /thin coat.
You are done and Home Depot has all materials.

I've done it and it looked great!
:thumb:
Steve

Johnandcara2 01-21-2011 07:29 PM

Thanks Steve, I was hoping that there was some way to fix. The dealer told me that I was better off taking off and painting and then replacing . Would you use a air compressor sprayer or just canned paint. I know the job will take time to dry between coats (2) right. So I will tackle this in the spring. Warmer days for sure.

The General 01-21-2011 08:06 PM

Hey John,

Compressor sprayer is best but canned spray, done carefully, can be equally as good.
Steve

Elkhartjim 01-22-2011 06:32 AM

I would add one step. Before you apply the paint, scuff the surface with a red Scotch Brite pad. I would recommend using a "shaky" can of paint. Even if you use a HVLP spray gun you will create lots of overspray. I sold (gave) 3 ft wide masking paper to DIY'ers when I owned my paint and body shop. Just make sure its a calm day if you will be painting outside and the paint will be dry enough to apply the second coat by the time you get to the finish end. The "shaky" cans have a quick drying agent. BTW...not sure the purpose of the zinc primer unless you take the paint off down to the metal.

The General 01-23-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elkhartjim (Post 775419)
I would add one step. Before you apply the paint, scuff the surface with a red Scotch Brite pad. I would recommend using a "shaky" can of paint. Even if you use a HVLP spray gun you will create lots of overspray. I sold (gave) 3 ft wide masking paper to DIY'ers when I owned my paint and body shop. Just make sure its a calm day if you will be painting outside and the paint will be dry enough to apply the second coat by the time you get to the finish end. The "shaky" cans have a quick drying agent. BTW...not sure the purpose of the zinc primer unless you take the paint off down to the metal.

Hey Elkhartjim,

You are the expert but I have found that zinc primer fixes paint to paint or bare surface to paint better than just paint to paint.
As you said, always scuff the surface first.

Steve

Poptop 01-24-2011 11:48 AM

In addition to the above tips, if you have some bare metal spots first I'd spray on some self etching primer before painting. You can get this in a shaky can too.