iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Newell vs Winnie/Itasca (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/newell-vs-winnie-itasca-83677.html)

JackHammr' 01-26-2011 02:12 PM

Newell vs Winnie/Itasca

I realize there is no comparison , two different leagues altogether ..

However some things maybe falling into place that would allow me to get an 8-9 year old Newell or a new Ellipse/Tour in the same money range ..

I am definitely not a fan of "new" , especially with all the new crap required on the current models ..

I am also a not "in your face" kind of guy which is definitely the Newell ..

I'm thinking the Newell would be more "reliable" for a longer period , but I am certain that when something on a Newell squatted , it would make up for any perceived "savings" several times over ..

The local dealer is prolly sick of me coming around looking , but is always glad to see me , and I have spoken to a rep at Newell and they are in a selling mode as well ..

I have known one person with a Newell , and money was no issue with them for anything , so getting anything useful out of him would be meaningless ..

Your thoughts here ??

golden 01-26-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackHammr' (Post 778363)
I realize there is no comparison , two different leagues altogether ..

However some things maybe falling into place that would allow me to get an 8-9 year old Newell or a new Ellipse/Tour in the same money range ..

I am definitely not a fan of "new" , especially with all the new crap required on the current models ..

I am also a not "in your face" kind of guy which is definitely the Newell ..

I'm thinking the Newell would be more "reliable" for a longer period , but I am certain that when something on a Newell squatted , it would make up for any perceived "savings" several times over ..

The local dealer is prolly sick of me coming around looking , but is always glad to see me , and I have spoken to a rep at Newell and they are in a selling mode as well ..

I have known one person with a Newell , and money was no issue with them for anything , so getting anything useful out of him would be meaningless ..

Your thoughts here ??

I own an Itasca and I love it. However, give me the choice between it and a Newell and I'll take the latter every time.

Route 66 01-26-2011 02:49 PM

A Newell is certainly a highline coach and some of the older ones were significantly overweight on the front axle right out of the factory.

Also, the factory is about the only place to go for service and they can be difficult to sell because of their uniqueness.

GaryKD 01-26-2011 02:57 PM

Floor plan sells the coach. A 9 year old Newell may not have the interior room a new coach will have. With the new coach, your maintenance costs are known during the warranty. With the Newell you maintenance costs start right away. Guess you know where I'm headed. The new coach would be my pick.

JackHammr' 01-26-2011 03:01 PM

yeah yur headed kinda where I am headed :whistling:

mikron 01-26-2011 03:13 PM

New aganist floor plan, New for me and I would make the floor plan work. You will pay the depreciation but you will have a new coach. The factory thing would bother me.

Route 66 01-26-2011 03:17 PM

I forgot to mention those factory repairs are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

LVJ58 01-26-2011 04:04 PM

For me, it's a no brainer, I would go for the Newell for the quality and craftsmanship and gladly do with a bit less interior room. If you have the VIN on the Newell you could probably call Sam Robinson 918-625-8036 (cell) or Dave Prince 888-363-9355 at the Newell factory. They may even have some pre-owned ones in your price range with glide-outs. All their pre-owned units I believe come with a 2 yr warranty and all have been thoroughly gone through and refurbished when needed.

Good luck with your choice

JackHammr' 01-26-2011 04:10 PM

they are the ones I spoke to

the warranty is for nine model years back from the current model year in production

they have about a dozen used coaches listed

Old Bounder 01-26-2011 05:25 PM

Two years from now the Itasca will be just another used Mh. The Newell will still be a Newell. JMHO

TXiceman 01-26-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulong (Post 778452)
Two years from now the Itasca will be just another used Mh. The Newell will still be a Newell. JMHO

X2

Ken

smlranger 01-26-2011 05:38 PM

While I like my Winnebago and the folks at Winne have always been helpful.....it would be a no-brainer for me...the Newell. Unless, of course, there were some things about the Newell I just could not like. The interiors I've seen are a bit too fru-fru for our tastes.

If you are looking to spend that kind of money and want a quality coach with good factory support, take a look at used Foretravels of the same era as the Newell's you are considering.

deandec 01-26-2011 05:53 PM

Newell

Ernie Ekberg 01-26-2011 06:00 PM

I didn't hear about Newell front axle overload. I know for a fact that the M-450 Wanderlodge had that issue.

Gary RVRoamer 01-26-2011 07:04 PM

Instead of the uniqueness of the custom built Newell, why not look at some other older, high line coaches that give you the benefits of high end workmanship and features, but without locking yourself into a such a limited edition brand for service and parts (especially chassis). American Coach (Eagle, Tradition, Heritage Dream), Newmar Londonaire or Mountainaire Limited, Holiday Navigator, Monaco Signature, or a Beaver Marquis would be good examples. You can have a luxury class coach without the drawbacks of a custom coach like the Newell.

Newells are custom built for each buyer. Some people order them loaded to the gills with amenities and couldn't care less leaving about any extra carrying capacity. Newell will make sure the buyer understands that when he configures the coach in the ordering process, but if that's what you want, they will build it that way. That means that second owners should check axle weights and CCC/NCC carefully to assure it will meet their needs.

frankdamp 01-26-2011 08:12 PM

Like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo?

offthewall 01-26-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankdamp (Post 778583)
Like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo?

No, I say it was more like comparing a Rolls-Royce to a Cadillac. A Tour is no Yugo. BUT it's a 9 year old coach compared to a new coach. I'd go new Tour myself.

Ernie Ekberg 01-27-2011 05:34 AM

There are some nice Country Coaches for sale.

Tom-NC 01-27-2011 09:28 AM

Hi,

I would go with the Tour as it is new and Winnebago will give you plenty of years of service once you get all the bugs out like any new car. Also don't think the Winnebago has all the glitz that newell does plus how much does it cost to service the Newell?

Another reason is where do you intend to use the Newell as I haven't seen any in Nat'l Parks, State parks or a lot of regular campgrounds. The last Newell I saw was in Alaska parked alongside the main road on a service road. Just some food for thought

Hope you make the right choice for what you want to do.:dance::dance:

RickO 01-27-2011 09:48 AM

I've got great admiration for the workmanship and quality of a Newely but for me it would about floorplan and new vs used. In both cases I think I would come down in favor of the new Tour/Ellipse. Floorplan...Floorplan...Floorplan.

Good luck...

Rick

a k 01-27-2011 09:59 AM

A nice 2007 Newmar Essex on RVTRADER $225,000.

Fixed it

RustyJC 01-27-2011 10:16 AM

$225??? Hey, I think I can afford that one!! :dance: :laugh:

Rusty

JackHammr' 01-27-2011 03:32 PM

you guys are thinking along my lines here

Newell has a very fru fru , or as I wud say swanky interior , skeered to touch anything ..

I didnt know about the weight issue , thanks ..

I like the exterior of the Tour / Ellipse mo' better ..

Floorplan is DW's problem , my concern is the cockpit and all things mechanical ..

Thanks for the feedback

B Bob 01-27-2011 09:51 PM

JackHammr - Which one do you like best? Which one is the easiest to drive for you? Which one is more comfortable for you to drive? Which floorplan works best for your needs?

I have never heard a bad word spoken about any aspect of a Newell Motor Home. I have seen many of them at shows and the quality seems above first class. However, many of the ones I have been in are too "Las Vegas" for me. On the other hand the Winny you are looking at is a very good coach too.

We bought a very high end (but not quite up to Newell) coach a bit over a year ago that was 7 years old when we purchased it. We bought it because we loved everything about it, custom interior, beautiful exterior, interior layout, super high quality construction. We preferred it to an almost new lower end class A. We are not sorry we went this direction. 15 months later we still love it.

pameridan04 01-28-2011 09:47 PM

Newell Motorhomes are first class. But, 9 years is alot of years old when talking TECHNOLOGY. The TV's if not replaced are old, not Digital or HD. The Micro Wave the same. The decor even high class may be dated. No MCD blinds, Aqua Hot, Surround Sound, CD players unless updated and installed. Good bet no four slide or full wall slide either, less living space.

And you are going to need service sooner or later. That factory mandatory is enough to send mt to a Winnie Ellipse CD.... LOL

Just my three cents.

Jim P.

TXiceman 01-29-2011 06:42 AM

TVs can be replaced as can blinds. I personally prefer older and better built to new fru-fru and maybe not as well built.

You might also expand your search to look at some of the Foretravels.
Pre-owned RV sales, Service ,Parts & Consignments Motorhomes of Texas

Ken

Poptop 01-29-2011 11:05 AM

As you can see the answers are all over the place, kind of like it would be if you asked which chick should I date? Only you and yours can decide. The Newell will have better quality construction as to cabinets, etc. But, the other stuff like referegerators, furnace(s), tires, etc will be the same. If you aren't concerned with glitz/pazzaz and are happy with the quality and floor plan of the new one, I'd go with new. You'll be getting new carpet, upholstry, window coverings, belts, hoses, vacumn lines, bearings, air bags, etc. Granted these can all be replaced on the older unit but at what cost? Just MHO. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Traps90 01-29-2011 11:28 PM

For us floorplan is the top priority with everything else coming second. We looked at quite a few coaches, but DW has her heart set on the Winnie Tour 40cd actually she wants the Itasca Ellipse 40cd cause since there both virtually the same she likes the name better.

We had also looked seriously at the Tiffen Phaeton and Allegro Bus models but we wanted to stay at the 40' mark and 40cd keeps coming up a winner.

Don't know if there's a right or wrong answer but will say that for us fulltiming, floorplan was the biggest consideration, then to make sure the coach had the drivetrain and structural aspects we needed.

The Phaeton was kind of elimanated cause of the 8.3 engine (we'll be spenidng a lot of time out west in the mountains) and we prefered hydronic heating to a forced air furnace.

Either way good luck with whatever direction you chose.

Trap

whited44 02-02-2011 09:26 AM

My vote is the Newell. I tried to buy one a couple of years ago but financing was hard to get because they have no book value. But that may not be a problem for you I don't know.

Tom-NC 02-02-2011 12:27 PM

I agree with Pameridian that the Newell is old and may have more problems than you can shake a stick at.

How do you know if the price of the Newell is correct if it isn't in the BlueBook.

I would go with any other high end coach used or the new Tour or even the Journey.

Good luck!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

B Bob 02-03-2011 01:50 PM

I don't think I have ever heard a complaint about service or reliability on a Newell. What I have read is glowing statements from people who bought old ones and said they were treated like they had bought a new one direct from Newell. That does not mean I fall on the side of the Tour vs Newll debate, I put down my feelings on that earlier. But I do want to say that Newell has a "sterling" reputation for looking after people that own their coaches.

BUT Newell uses top grade components so if something does need to be replaced you will be buying a top grade component. But that said, most of the parts for coaches are the same / similar. We have a fairly expensive coach that approaches what the Newells cost when it was built. Yesterday I had to replace an ice maker in the fridge. Same one as in my house fridge. Likely same one as in a Newell.

TQ60 02-03-2011 04:18 PM

6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other...

This is apples to oranges, so new or old, depends on personal choices.

The Newell will always be the better quality coach, but may never be the best choice for this person.

I am biased to Country Coach, now they are back in buisness.

I would think a CC Prevost would be a good choice, but then a lot of cash.

There are many CC units on the road, the dyno-max? chassis looks to be top notch.

Either way, the installed components in most of the better grade units are going to be standard off some shelf somewhere items, the chassis parts may be more difficult to get as well as some wear items.

It all boils down to what coach fits your needs the best, the floor plan, condition of the unit, the ability to drive it to where you want to go and the expected ability to retain its resale value among a ton of other variables.

KIX 02-03-2011 04:46 PM

If you even think you may use your coach in cold weather I would urge you to purchase one with an Aqua Hot type heating system. We don't have one but when it's cold I sure do wish we had it.

Traps90 02-03-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIX (Post 783579)
If you even think you may use your coach in cold weather I would urge you to purchase one with an Aqua Hot type heating system. We don't have one but when it's cold I sure do wish we had it.

The new Tour/Ellipse coaches come with aqua-hot

JackHammr' 02-04-2011 02:26 PM

The Newell's I am interested in have the aqua hot system ..

I am not in the least concerned about having the very latest technology available , though the Newell's I am interested in have them for the most part ..

From what I understand , from talking to the people there , when Newell brings in one of theirs for resale , it gets the fine tooth comb and anything that needs repair or replacement is taken care of ..

My concern is , as I stated earlier , and others have noted , as well , when something does squat on a Newell , it is surely to be somewhat more expensive than the same component on another coach ..

Someone else noted , and I noted as well , no doubt , the Newell is in a class of it's own , but the interior appointments , ( to me , the furniture ) is a bit overboard for my tastes ..

While I dont purposely abuse my stuff , I want something I can "live in" , and not be afraid to get a spot of grease or dirt on the upholstery ..

The price of admission into a used Newell , in my price range , is comparable to the Tour/Ellipse new , but I am certain , like many things , the price of admission , isnt the issue , the price of keeping it up may be the killer ..

My interest is in the cockpit , and all things mechanical , you know who , is in charge of the "other stuff"

bbeane 02-04-2011 06:28 PM

There is a lot of places to have bus conversions, Newells, or any other MH for that matter serviced besides the oem dealer. For my my $$$$ I'll take an older highline, bus conv, over a factory stamped copy fron the big 3 or 4, with all the electronic blinds and lighting controlls to make you nuts and cost big $$$. You might take a look at Foretravel's dam fine coach, there are some 87 models on the road and still loved. Have fun looking. :D

encantotom 03-08-2013 02:05 PM

i can speak from experience with a newell. i have had a 1990 and now have a 2002. the newell factory treats me not different than someone who bought a new one. the build quality is amazing.

i have a web forum for supporting our older coaches where we help each other like this forum does. you can get just about any question answered about coaches that are in the more "affordable" price range. (i guess that depends on what is affordable, eh?)

Newell Gurus

regards,

tom

Cat320 03-09-2013 01:00 PM

Another consideration is the size of the Newells...they are huge. Will it fit into the type CGs you like to use?

Coaster1 03-09-2013 05:06 PM

Do you have an engine preference? As I recall, a 9 year old Newell will have a Series 60 Detroit. Ease of maintenance and the ability to get to the part that needs servicing go to the Newell as well as the redundantcy of systems make the Newell very heavy but, the ride is oh so fine. In my view they are traveling coaches rather than campers. Never owned a Newell but I did have a Marathon on a Prevost chassis. It too was a traveler as it had no slides which suited me just fine.

GOLDWINGER2 03-09-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulong (Post 778452)

X2
J

cmpncrsaider 03-09-2013 07:15 PM

If the floor plan in the Newell suits you and they don't rock you on the financing that's the one I'd buy. We love our Winne but Newell is a couple steps up IMO.

Ramzfan 03-09-2013 08:30 PM

I guess I'm with the minority here...I never owned a Newell, but I never wanted to either. I've owned several motorhomes and I always keep coming back to Winnebago. They're like an old friend..parts, service, answers, always there when you need them. Owning a Newell would be like going First Class on the Queen Elizabeth...it's nice to think about, but when you actually do it, you find you have nothing in common with the other first-classers and you end up wishing you'd have traveled with the "common folks." Just one man's opinion...

Deucenut 03-09-2013 10:33 PM

This thread is two years old. I wonder what his choice was?:D

encantotom 03-09-2013 11:54 PM

who knows what he actually did but the conversation is quite interesting.

i have nothing bad to say about any coach. it is all personal preference and what you are looking for. i have had other coaches before i got my first newell. i just sold it and it is 23 years old and still rides and drives like new.

i bought a 2 slide 2002 newell and i am a "common guy" they are great values for what you get. you just have to get over the buying a 10 year old coach vs new. these are timeless amazing machines.

i do most of the fixing and updating myself except the very heavy stuff like engine and brakes etc.

my newell drives and rides like a big cadillac.

it weighs over 50k pounds and still stops easily.

that said, the winnebagos and many other coaches are fine rigs too. just a different kinda rig. as for value, it is right there is no book value, but if you follow them (which i and many others do, we have a good feeling for what is a good deal)

later

tom

JackHammr' 03-10-2013 05:49 AM

someone dug deep to resurrect this one :eek:

well in my opening post I stated "some things may come together" , and they didnt , which in the end was not a bad thing ..

So I got neither one ..:thumb:

I'm just a 'regular' guy too , and I learned long ago to be content with what I have .

If the circumstances I was referring to in the OP happened today and I got one or the other I most likely would go with the Tour or Ellipse

Either of the brands is a winner in my book

encantotom 03-10-2013 09:08 AM

thank you for the update. yea, i know what you mean on being happy with what you have.

they are all good choices. any day in a coach is a good day.

they all have problems, no matter what year they were made or make.

just as long as you have the ability to fix it yourself or pay someone all is good. i do most things myself as it would be wayyyy too expensive to pay someone everytime i needed something done.

regards,

tom

Newell Gurus

2Labs 03-10-2013 04:38 PM

Interesting discussion for sure ...

If I had the option, I would lean towards a Newell *although* I'd have to search hard to find a mid-2000's Newell that didn't have a white/off-white interior.

It seems that was the style in the '90's & 2000's and I am not a fan of it at all. Kind of reminds me of the white laminate kitchen cabinets of the '80's found in so many S&B's

At $500K for a used coach, I need a little color to go along with style.

encantotom 03-10-2013 11:09 PM

there are quite a few that have the woodgrain interior. mine happens to have the light color inside and we enjoy that.

it is just whatever you like.

tom

Newell Gurus

Trekkers 03-12-2013 05:07 AM

Buying a used Newell is like volunteering to be in someone else's fantasy. They designed it and used it and even when they've tired of it, you've decided "I'll take it because it's a fantasy," I'd have to reaaaaallly love that fantasy too, or I'd just as soon have some I want and like. There are other, and more important, considerations than nameplate - floorplan, storage space being two of the more important. I'd never buy ANY Rolls-Royce because service is a pain; they are as ugly as sin; at the end of the day it's still "just a car" and I'm just not into being "noticed." I'd never buy a Ferrari because I'd never fit in it; I don't like sitting on the ground and I don't want to worry about my car getting stolen every second of the day. I'll take my solid, spacious, functional 2013 Itasca Ellipse any day thanks.

Jim (only, not Irene too)

Christian51 08-15-2013 09:58 PM

Fun read, looking forward to a trip up to Miami to see what they have myself. I've spent months reading here and everywhere about motor homes and to meet my desires of a super built machine and the wife's desires to drive it, the Newell just hits all our spots. A steerable tag axle with easy steer, how you beat that? The Newmar Essex can be ordered with that setup but they call it Comfort Drive, the only other coach with such a set up. I have pondered the idea that it's more of a mobile condo rather than a camping coach but at our age, camping isn't our goal. Seeing the country in comfort and in the convenience of our own space, that is our desire. With such a coach you have resource capacity giving you more freedom to maneuver, opening more options as you move through your adventure. I'm hooked so I'm going to look for an 08 to 13 to find the right one for us. I'm hoping I have my ducks in a row by Christmas.

steveclv 08-16-2013 07:24 AM

Christian51

What you describe is the motivation behind most of us who own RVs, be they million dollar H3-45s or $5k Winnies :)

If you have disposable income then get the best you can, you only have one life to live, you never know when your 'expiry date' is, so you had better make the most of it. Accumulation of a bunch of zeros on a bank statement is no life goal or achievement, enjoying spending it is!!

:)

B Bob 08-16-2013 08:58 AM

Christian 51,

We have a very nice motor home. Not a Newell but close. Yesterday I am driving up I 86 in Idaho towards Idaho Falls and sort of rambling on at about 65 mph. I am so used to driving my coach and it rides so smoothly that I don't have to pay much attention to driving and steering. My thoughts turned to Comfort Steer or steering assist. After about 15 minutes my conclusion was, "how is it possible to improve what I already have". Well made and operating steering does not need complication that likely will need repair and adjustment. That is very likely why only Newmar and Newell offer "comfort steer". To adjust for crowned roads and wind means that you have to constantly adjust for changing conditions. BMW and Honda have offered similar things. They failed to make the steering better.

When the "Google Drive" comes out where auto cameras read road conditions and steer automatically I am all for it. Until then I am sticking to simple. As it is when you bounce complex systems down the road stuff goes wrong.

Christian51 08-16-2013 11:18 AM

I hear ya Bob, but everyone I have heard from that has it never wants to be without it again. I'm with Steven on this one. At 62, the wife and I want to get all the enjoyment we can and from what we can tell, no one is more pleased with their motor homes than Newell owners. Service is another concern and the factory is just next door for us here in Texas and if you get stuck far away from any service and the issue is bad enough, they will send a tech to your location. Who else does that? Retirement is time for enjoyment and my shade tree mechanic days are over so I don't plan on doing any work myself on the thing unless it looks like fun. We're starting out by looking at a 3 to 5 year old Newell and if we like it and my paintings keep selling, we'll go for a new one in a couple years. I do landscape paintings and this will be my mobile studio, a complete tax right off for my business. Without that benefit, I'd be looking at a Newmar or Entegra. Someone said that these high end coaches are usually owned by people's business or company and I know I could not spend that type of money if it wasn't.

B Bob 08-17-2013 09:01 AM

Christian51 - You are right about Newell owners saying good things about their coaches. And Newell has a very good reputation for service. Keep in mind my comment is second hand as I do not own a Newell, but have just read on this forum about others good experiences. The Newell story is interesting too. That was originally a California Company. And a Sooner bought it and moved to OK. I have been by the factory and know it is in OK. So close but not a Longhorn Company. Of course Texans have a brand to be really proud of, Foretravel. I have also been to their factory. Foretravel is a great make and they have a similar high quality reputation. Some close friends of ours have a newer Foretravel and it is a great motorhome.

We went with Country Coach as there were quite a lot of them for sale when we were looking four years ago. CC also has a high reputation with their owners and we have found they have excellent factory support. We have been to the factory twice for service and are very happy with the results. I found that I liked every Country Coach I drove. They seemed to handle really well and that impressed me. Ours has a tag and just seemed glued to the highway. Still does. Country Coach would be a 1,000+ mile drive for you to go to the factory.

One of my long time buddies at work and for the last ten years as a friend bought a new 2005 Dutch Star. He had about 18 months getting everything fixed so that it ran right. This influenced my thoughts on Newmar. But I have three friends with Dutch Stars and they seem to like them.

I still have no interest in doing anything with my steering as it is perfect as is. I am not against advancements in technology, but steering is very complex and only a few companies get it right. Country Coach from my experience does a very good job with steering. I know this from having driven a bunch of them and mine. The fact that many Newmar owners like Comfort Steer concerns me that Newmar does not have their basic steering geometry right and need an add on to correct issues. This may not be true, but does come up in my mind. The fact that no other maker uses Comfort Steer somewhat confirms this to me. And Newell will add anything you want to a coach. BMW tried to enhance the steering of their cars over the last few years with electronics. There were so many people who loved the basic simple standard BMW system that they backed off of it. I had the same experience with smart cruise control. I had it in my last car and when I traded in a few months back I went back to the old style. The adaptive cruise IMHO was not an improvement. The problem was the adaptive cruise brain did not work as well as mine. Adaptive steering IMHO has a good chance of being a similar situation.

Christian51 08-17-2013 12:11 PM

Bob, I hear you and you have good points. This is going to be my first coach and since I can afford to splurge just a touch, I don't want to miss out on something that just might make the experience that much more pleasurable. Once the wife told me she was going to learn to drive it and take it out with her sisters, I decided I wanted every drivers aid possible so it comes home safe and in one piece. Having a 45' that turns like a 37' coach is helpful and from what I can tell, the easy steer system would make it much more controllable in a blow out and assist when in bad roads, side winds and going through reconstruction with the uneven surfaces. If it was just me driving it, I am sure your machine would make me quite happy. I really want her to enjoy driving, I'd enjoy that copilot seat myself at times and the more she enjoys it, the more places we'll get to go. She is not a camper, there isn't a reason for us to have an out door entertainment system on one but she loves to travel and see the country so a mobile condo fits the ticket with her. They are actually a little glitzy for me but I'll suffer that one. It's the build quality that seduces me.

jrs1958 08-18-2013 11:23 AM

Have you looked a the Entegra brand? They give you a super coach with tons of features for a lot less then Newell or Newmar and their service is great. 2 year unlimited warranty!

Christian51 08-18-2013 11:17 PM

jrs, I have and I was impressed with the Cornerstone. It has everything and would give the same experience on the road, as much room, beautiful interior that matches my down home taste much better. I may yet go for one, or the new Essex or King Aire, or hopefully a 3 to 5 year old Newell. I'm 62, and selling a couple robotic patents, the fruits of 25 years of development. I have told the buyer my price, I'm waiting for their response. They liked the offer but one never knows till the final contract is hammered out. Hopefully that will get done in the next couple months. Then I go shopping and find out which level of coach I can afford. An Entegra, a Newmar, or a Newell, we'll see.

EngineerMike 08-18-2013 11:45 PM

The real beauty of the Newell steering tag IMO is the turn radius at slow speed period. Which is a helluvan advantage. In every other way, its more gear. But w/a 45ft coach that tight turn radius is sweet.

Chris51- my buddy had a warranty problem w/his TV; Newell factory said they could fly a tech out to dismount it & crate it for factory service, then send the same tech out to remount it when the TV was fixed (Sony). Gary told them that was too much bother, so he & his wife took the big TV down & put it in the crate Newell sent; remounted it when the crate came back w/a working TV. After you've been thru enough service w/a rig you are living in, doing things yourself (that shadetree thing) has a certain appeal over the bother of other people's schedules & trapesing around in your home. I was doing my own oil changes for a while just for the convenience of scheduling vs most truck service joints, then I discovered SpeedCo (drive thru for big rig LOF's).

Christian51 08-20-2013 10:33 AM

I hear ya Mike! I'm an artist and good with my hands so I like to do most things myself and loved working on old cars when young. But over the years I learned it was better to pay someone their going rate and focus on my own professional work. If I busted a finger and couldn't paint for a while I would loose a lot more than the cost of a repair let alone if I screwed it up. This is one primary reason I want a Newell.

Huck 08-21-2013 06:37 AM

Newell is a heck of an outfit, I am super impressed with them for sure. I have owned all kinds from Newmars to Prevost and as for service Newell is head and shoulders above them all. Knock wood I haven't had any real troubles with any of my Newell coaches but like anything with so many systems there will be items that are in need of service now and again. They will do whatever it takes to make it right they really will. If you do order a coach from them they will wow you with the way they work to get everything you want the way you want it. I have a 2014 ordered now and we are still designing it and picking out finishes etc. good luck in your quest !!!

Christian51 08-21-2013 11:17 PM

Huck, got any idea what they discount the used coaches from their internet site prices. I've found them selling the same coach for a 100 grand less on 05-06s on two different sites. I am interested in an 08 or newer. They told me in an email that they can retrofit the Easy Steer back to 06 coaches and I want it added along with a few interior changes. From reading, I am assuming the retrofit will run close to 50 grand. But that is a guess. I'll start batting questions at Newell when I have the money in my pocket. Until then, this place has been wonderful at helping me get the lay of the land.

Huck 08-22-2013 06:39 AM

Well as for the discount that is a good question and not easy to answer as every coach will have its own amount of profit based on what they have in it. I have never purchased a used coach from them only new ones but they were very willing to deal on the new ones so my guess would be they will deal on a used one as well.

Christian51 08-22-2013 11:34 PM

Well 1.6 to 1.7 million for a new one would bust up my savings account pretty good. I tell myself I'll keep it to under a million and the wife says I better. I figure a used one purchased from the company will be close to new condition and after a few years if we get the use out of it, then I would like to take part in designing our own.

What is nice is that I grew up 30 miles from Miami OK so it will be enjoyable when I go up there for service and have the chance to see old friends and family more often.