iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Keystone (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f272/)
-   -   Cougar 321 RES (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f272/cougar-321-res-89806.html)

iluvcamping 04-19-2011 10:50 AM

Cougar 321 RES

Can anyone tell me any info you've heard regarding this new floor plan
(321 RES) for Cougar travel trailers? We're thinking of buying one but have never had a Cougar before. Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

SlyFox 05-01-2011 11:33 PM

Uh, pretty sure you are referring to the 327RES. We currently have a 278RKS and have been very happy with it so far:thumb:. The 327RES will have a bigger floorplan and more storage capacity. If we upgrade to a larger unit in the future it will be another Cougar and quite possibly the 327RES or the 326MKS:cool:.

taken 05-24-2011 01:24 PM

No, the OP was referring to the 321RES just like they said. We just bought ours. What would you like to know about it? We are extremely happy with ours and love the floorplan. Anything you want to know, just ask us...

iluvcamping 05-25-2011 08:19 AM

Thanks, TAKEN! Ours is on order and hope to get it the first part of June. We ordered it with the 2 recliners.
What kind of hitch set-up do you use? Is yours pulling ok? We're always a little concerned when a new floor plan comes out to know if the 'glitches' have been worked out.
We have a 2010 F-150 crew reg. bed 5.4 V8-3.73.
Have you noticed any problems with construction that we should look for? Probably the only thing we noticed was the lack of outside storage even though there is the narrow one all across the front which makes it difficult for getting things from the middle of it. They should have put 2 storage drawers on wheels so it could be pulled out.
Thanks for any info you can give.....we're really excited about getting our 321RES trailer.

taken 05-25-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcamping (Post 863085)
Thanks, TAKEN! Ours is on order and hope to get it the first part of June. We ordered it with the 2 recliners.
What kind of hitch set-up do you use? Is yours pulling ok? We're always a little concerned when a new floor plan comes out to know if the 'glitches' have been worked out.
We have a 2010 F-150 crew reg. bed 5.4 V8-3.73.
Have you noticed any problems with construction that we should look for? Probably the only thing we noticed was the lack of outside storage even though there is the narrow one all across the front which makes it difficult for getting things from the middle of it. They should have put 2 storage drawers on wheels so it could be pulled out.
Thanks for any info you can give.....we're really excited about getting our 321RES trailer.

Glad to help. We got the one with two couches. We too preferred the recliners but wanted to have max sleeping space if we had guests or ever get around to having children. We haven't gone on a long run yet as our first trip is this coming Monday. Heading out while everyone else is heading home. Will know more about trailerability etc. after that. Construction seems good from what we've seen so far. It was lacking a few things we wanted which I have added over the past few weeks. I added an outside low pressure quick connect for our low pressure grill. I also swapped out the front and rear roof vents for Fantastic Fans and added vent covers to all three roof vents. I used the smoke colored ones from Camco which look black to match the trailer and ac from the outside, but are like tinted windows from the inside and still let in some light. Another thing we did was swap out the fifty cent speakers from all 6 interior locations. The stereo/DVD player was fine, but the speakers were the absolute worst quality I've seen. I just went with some Clarion 2-ways from Amazon.com. $32 a set delivered and sound fantastic! As far as hitching we went with an Equalizer E4 setup. I am going to install it this weekend. On our last trailer, an Arctic Fox 30U, we had the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam setup. It was a PITA to setup but once it was, it worked flawlessly. That is until one of the cams snapped. Reese help me up for six months before a replacement was sent and that's after a lot of calls begging. A six month back order? Really? So, I switched brands with this trailer. Support after the sale is extremely important to me. Again, since we haven't towed with the new Equalizer yet, I can't review it. I will have a good idea next Monday evening though! As for storage, I am with you on wanting more. That front area is cavernous though and although it's tough to get to the middle items, I just put things I rarely need there. I also utilized the cabinet that is facing the entrance door in the kitchen as a utility cabinet putting some things that I used to keep in outside storage there. Got everything where I want it at this point. We thought about adding the pull out drawers, but after looking at a friends trailer that has them, we decided we would be loosing too much space using them. Anyways, I guess I rambled enough. Anything else, feel free to ask. It's fun talking about a purchase you are so pleased with!!!

iluvcamping 05-25-2011 09:25 PM

You have some great ideas! I'll probably go with the Huskey Centerline hitch for this one. Please let us know how your trip goes.

taken 05-28-2011 11:57 AM

Just a small update for you. Set up our Equalizer E4 hitch today. Went very smoothly. While I was at it, I put my Sherline Tongue Weight Scale under it. Without any clothes or anything on the front end, she's weighing in at a stout 1300# on the tongue. Your F150 is going to be at it's limits. I would recommend at least upgrading your receiver as even my F250's stock hitch was only rated to 12.5k. Your F150 will be less. Just a thought. Don't want to see you braking anything on the road!

iluvcamping 05-29-2011 05:02 PM

Thanks, Taken!
I just checked the brochure on the 321res and they have that the hitch is at 945#. You'd think that someone at the factory would be a little more accurate! Are you saying that the receiver on your F250 is only rated to have a hitch weight of 12.5k? I just checked under ours and...you're right...my receiver says 1,150#. Are you looking to get a different receiver?
We have to wonder about Keystone putting the hitch weight at 945# and you say it's actually at around 1300#! That's a difference of 355#. Guess that's one more thing to check on. I've pulled at least 6 travel trailers and 3-4 pop ups before that and I've never seen such mis-information. I had a 2004 F250 diesel pulling a 36' 2010 Open Range Journeyer with a Reese dual cam that was suppose to put a stop to swaying....but it didn't. It took us over an embankment....thankfully, no one was hurt but it totaled out truck and trailer. No wind, no weather, no speed, no traffic involved. But we found out that Trailer Life said the Journeyer had an inside weight distribution problem. Now you know why we want to get "hitched" up right. I hope we didn't make a mistake in getting this Cougar because we were just going by what Ford said we could pull and got the best trailer towing package they have ...and what Keystone said the Cougar weights are. We'll get it figured out though....thanks for your help. Let me know how your first trip out in it goes.

taken 05-29-2011 06:21 PM

The hitch weight listed by Cougar is a dry weight. That's before you fill the two propane tanks, put two batteries up front, and fill the only outside storage compartment (the one up front!) to the hilt. Dry weights are often deceiving. Out last trailer, an Arctic Fox 30U, was dry at 1100 lbs and weighed in at over 1400. It's pretty easy to add 300-400 lbs to the tongue. We had already upgraded our hitch due to the weight of our Arctic Fox. We have a Reese Titan which is rated at 1800 lbs tongue weight, but they don't make one for a 150. You may kill some tongue weight by not filling your front exterior compartment with all your tools etc. Also, the water tank on the 321RES is all the way in the back of the trailer. If you filled it, it holds 47 gallons which is close to 400 lbs. That would offset your tongue somewhat. Bottom line though, your going to be at your 150's limit. Published (dry) weights are always super low from any manufacturer. Just like GVWR on a tow vehicle is always misleading as they consider 1/4 tank of gas, no cargo, and a 150 lb driver. Who tows like that!? However, I wouldn't get overly worried about it yet. I routinely go over our trucks limit when my wife and I take out atv's with us camping up in ME. We put the two machines in the bed of the truck on a rack and then there's the trailer's tongue weight. We are close to 11k when our truck is GVWR at 9400 lbs. We use air bags to keep things level and firm. Never have an issue. IMHO I would consider a higher end WD/Anti-sway system though. I got the Reese Dual Cam to work with much tweeking, but the Equalizer was MUCH easier to set up. I've read good things over and over about it, so we will see. It was cheap enough too. I got it from RV Wholesalers for about $450 shipped. Here's a link: Equal-i-zer Hitch 1200/12000lbs Trailer Weight - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts
Ah well, I'm sure it will work out for you. Your truck may just be working a little harder than you expected. To be honest, mine will too. One of the selling points of this trailer over our last was less weight to tow. I'm thinking it won't be as much less than we thought.......

ScoobySue 06-01-2011 10:52 AM

We have this camper and love it!!!!

We also own this camper and we love it!!! Went with 2 recliner chairs that you will absolutely think are great. We took possession of it about 3 weeks and have already been camping in it 2 times. We love the floorplan and honestly have plenty of storage. Let me know if you have any questions at all. I will be more than happy to answer. Expect hitch questions... My BFF takes care of all of that! LOL

taken 06-01-2011 11:26 AM

Update mid trip for you. Have found that what Cougar uses is lower end than our AF, but acceptable for the most part. IE: one position switch on the lights so you can't just turn on one bulb when running on batteries, fridge is a cheaper model with a plastic switch rather than a led digital readout, manual propane changeover rather than automatic, and low end power tongue jack that is VERY slow and seems to not be working 100 percent. Also, some fit and finish issues. The bathroom door won't close right. Also, keep an eye on the tv wires when raising and lowering the flat screne. No matter how i route them, they seem to get caught when the set is going up or down. The biggest complaint we have so far is the mattress. After sleeping in it for two nights it already has big dents in it where my wife and I sleep. I doubt the dealer will help on this one so I imagine we may have to buy an upgrade. Now for the good. Love the floor plan. Am actually glad we went for the two couches. We bought two ottomans and can sit so many different ways or we
can both lay down on a couch. Another thing we found is that this trailer has a higher draw converter. Our 2400 Yamaha generator has trouble with the ac if the converter is running a high draw to charge the batteries. As for towing, it towed straight as an arrow with the Equalizer E4. Am VERY pleased in that department. Will let you know if we find anything else of interest....

iluvcamping 06-02-2011 02:43 PM

Thanks Scooby Sue! Glad you like the your 321RES! What hitch did you go with? We hope to get ours within the next 2 weeks. We have a vacation scheduled for around June 18th. We at least have the serial number on it now so maybe that's a good sign it's being made. We'll see.

And thanks TAKEN for the update on your trip. Would you believe I emailed a guy whose name and address was provided on Keystonerv.com about the tongue weight discrepancy and what you said your actual tongue weight was and.....I haven't heard back from him...surprise..surprise! Also, in the 2011 brochure we have it says the tongue weight is 945# but if you go to the website for the 321RES floor plan they've lowered it to 900# for 2012. Just waiting for an explanation on that one:2funny:.
Thanks for all the 'heads-up' on what you have found. Can your bathroom door be fixed?
I know that in any new rv you're going to find some things that just aren't quite right....sort of like a new house.
Keep us posted if you find anything else.

taken 06-02-2011 04:28 PM

Yes, the door can be fixed. One thing I forgot to tell you. Have your dealer check all electrical connections before you take delivery. We had bad connections on all three slides which we found on our pdi. Slides wouldn't come in. Cheapo loose crimp connectors were to blame. Then this morning our furnace wouldn't fire. Pulled all the connections and reseated them and she was good. Hopefully these are just new bugs and they will work themselves out. As for your hitch weight, I'm telling you what they will say. The posted weight is the dry weight not a curb weight. No propane, batteries, or gear in the front storage area. Also no clothes in the front closet or drawers. It adds up pretty quick! Also, never listen to the dealer. They will always tell you your truck is fine no matter what the truck or what the trailer. An over anxious dealer we almost bought ours from insisted I only need 10k bars. He also told me if I had traded my AF to him he would have no issue selling it to a half ton owner. Now that trailer weighed over 1400 on the ball! He went on to say a swt of air bags will make any half ton tow heavy... What about the axles, brakes, hitch rating! I guess in his mind, if it's level, it's good to go... LOL.....

iluvcamping 06-05-2011 07:50 PM

SCOOBYSUE......Just curious as to what vehicle you tow with? We're still waiting for our Cougar.

ScoobySue 06-06-2011 01:00 PM

We tow with a 95 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually BUT let me tell you...it struggles to pull it. We are actually looking to get a newer DIESEL truck and have narrowed it down to either a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 OR a 2003 Ford F3500 Extended Cab Dually. I'm inclined to go with the dually cause we won't have to worry about weight limitations at all. My DH on the other hand is a die-hard Chevy guy so convincing him to go with the Ford it somewhat of a hard thing.

ScoobySue 06-06-2011 01:04 PM

Back to the camper itself... we have taken it on 2 trips soo far. One was about 2 and a half hours away and the other was only 10 minutes. I do absolutely still love love love the camper. Everything works perfectly. We don't have any of the problems that Taken has mentioned. (Ohh, there was a small problem with the screen door handle not being on right but it was an easy easy 2 second fix.) We have gotten many compliments from fellow campers on the trailer as well. They LOVE the grey exterior and so do we.

ScoobySue 06-06-2011 01:06 PM

Taken -- do you ever notice little tiny pieces of what looks to be black material on the floor from time to time? I keep finding them and have no idea where it is coming from?

taken 06-06-2011 03:05 PM

Nope, no black stuff. White stuff from when the ceiling was trimmed, but no black. We get a lot of compliments as well. Trailer is up at our dealer now getting the furnace fixed and having them look at our other fit and finish issues while it's there. Hated bringing it back there! I actually miss looking out my window and seeing it there. Love the trailer just like you! I was a Chevy guy too, but they don't make a big gas engine anymore which is why I bought my Ford. (Dodge doesn't either.) My V10 tows the 321 like nothing's back there. The motor is amazing. Hardly ever needs a downshift at highway speeds unless your really in the hills. Actually this trailer is a couple thousand lbs lighter than our last which shows. I managed 8.4 mpg on our recent trip. About 1 mpg better than towing our last rig.

iluvcamping 06-07-2011 06:54 AM

TAKEN & SCOOBY SUE.....
:greetings10:We appreciate all of your input! Thanks so much! We just got word that we can pick up our new trailer June 14th. We're going to take along all of your information of things to check out and look for when we go. If you think of anything else please let us know. The dealer actually wants us to stay overnight at their place to make sure we are satisfied. It would be a trip to have to take it back to the dealer for any work. We have a local Cougar dealer but we got a better price at the one we bought it at. The dealer is about a 4-5 hour drive from our place. On our Open Range Journeyer we took it back to Shipshawanna (sp?) to have warranty work done. I think it's better to go back to the people who made it. Besides, most dealers don't even like to do warranty work if you didn't buy it from them...which is dumb. They get their money from the manufacturer.
We'll let you know how our Ford truck did. Weight wise I think we'll do ok. The truck is geared to pull 11,300 lbs. Looks like we're going to go with the Huskey Centerline hitch.
I hope we can all stay in touch with anything that comes up about our Cougars.....

iluvcamping 06-09-2011 06:52 AM

TAKEN & ScoobySue.....One more question....Did you have the second ac installed in the bedroom? We live in a very hot..high humidity area and don't know if this is something we might need to do.

majorloser 06-11-2011 07:00 AM

I'm still on the fence on whether to buy this trail or get a 5'er. Soon after seeing this trailer at the Tampa RV show and visiting a dealer in South FLorida who had one, my truck got into a major acident. But now after almost three months, it's ready for parole from the body shop. So now I'm back on the hunt for a trailer. My truck is a 2010 Ram 2500 4X4 Mega Cab with a Cummins. It's a little limited on pin weight for a 5'er, but no problems with towing capacity.

No matter what I get, it will have the same features and three slides like the Cougar High Country. They are definitely ahead of the game in creating a TT that looks and feel like a 5'er. The solid surface counter tops, contemporary interior design and extra space three slides provide are impossible to find from other manufacturers. I'd be willing to bet the 2012 Tampa Show will be loaded with new manufacturers trying to copy the design.

majorloser 06-11-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcamping (Post 874712)
TAKEN & ScoobySue.....One more question....Did you have the second ac installed in the bedroom? We live in a very hot..high humidity area and don't know if this is something we might need to do.

I had an opportunity to talk with the factory rep from Cougar High Country at the Tampa Show this past January. The electrical system is only 30 amp as it leaves the factory and the roof is not properly reinforced in the area of the front roof vent for an additional 13K unit. I asked about getting a special order. It would require contacting Cougar HC directly and seeing if they will make some modifications on the factory floor.

I live in Florida, so I know what you mean about humidity and heat. But I've been thinking about a cheaper and easy alternative to additional cooling in the bedroom. One of these might just do the trick for a heck of a lot less money. Just need to vent the heat out one of the windows with the flexible duct.

https://portable-airconditioner.net/w...ortable-ac.jpg

Home depot carries a lot of different units.
Appliances - Heating, Cooling & Air Quality - Air Conditioners - Portable Air Conditioners at The Home Depot

IlliniJoe 06-15-2011 07:01 AM

Newbee here. I was looking, and really leaning towards the Outback 298RE and just recently noticed the "New" Couger 321RES. Has anyone been able to compare the two and what were your opinions? Thanks

iluvcamping 06-16-2011 06:13 AM

IliniJoe...We also checked out both the Outback and the Cougar HC. We went with the HC 321RES because it looked like a better quality trailer. If you check closely around the interior you'll see what I mean. We just brought our 321RES home yesterday towing with a Huskey Centerline hitch setup and a 2010 F150 heavy duty tow package with no problems. The dealer said Keystone is raising the price on the the 321res $4,000 so grab one now if you want one. We traveled from the St. Louis area to Walnut Ridge west of Indianapolis for the best deal. They said they have 4 more coming in soon at the lower price. Check out their website.

iluvcamping 06-16-2011 06:16 AM

Majorloser....Why did the rep tell you the Cougar HC is only 30 amp? Ours is 50 but we could have ordered ours wired for the second ac...which we didn't know at the time.

ScoobySue 06-16-2011 06:29 AM

Wow... I didn't know we could get the wiring for the 2nd a/c unit either. That SUCKS!!!! I would have definitely done that. I live in Maryland where it is HOT and HUMID in the summertime. I did opt for the 15BTU a/c but let me tell you, the bedroom STAYS warm!!! We really only use the bedroom for sleeping at night so it is not too bad in there. I just use a small fan and that solves the problem. BUT I would have definitely opted for a 2nd a/c had I known that was an option!!!

As far as the 50amp, we have it on our 2012 High Country 321RES and I love it!!!

ScoobySue 06-16-2011 06:48 AM

Illinijoe -- To answer your question, we looked at the Outback 298RE and actually had one on order UNTIL I ran across the Cougar 321. I absolutely fell in love with the Cougar and here are my reasons.

1. Both slides in the living room area are FULL long slides. The kitchen slide has the couch on it along with the fridge and stove. The main slide on the opposite side has another couch (or recliners like we opted for) and the kitchen table. The slide in the Outback on the one side was only for the couch so in our opinion it would make it much smaller on the inside.

2. The slide in the bedroom of the Outback is only a closet slide where in the Cougar the bed slides which creates a ton of living space back there. Both my boyfriend and I can easily walk around the bedroom, get dressed, and do everything we need to do without bumping into each other or it feeling tight.

Honestly, both of the campers looked super nice to me and I had a HARD HARD time making my decision. We liked the outdoor camp kitchen the Outback had on it. We also like the booth dinette that the Outback had that is not avaiable on the Cougar.

In the end, it came down to the fact that we thought the Cougar had more room with the 3 full slides on it. We have camped in the Cougar 3 times now and we absolutely love it. I don't question my decision to purchase or think I should have gone with the Outback. I'm satisfied but I probably would have been satisifed with the Outback too... Just a personal decision really. Ohhh, I'm not sure the Outback has 50amp service like the Cougar but I could be wrong on that too.

ScoobySue 06-16-2011 07:14 AM

Ok... before I forget we did have a problem with one of our slides this past trip that was probably my own fault but I want to pass it along so the same thing doesn't happen to you. There is a cabinet door (on the left side of camper) near the main slide on the enterainment center. Well, I had put my secret stash (liquor) in there before we headed out for our last trip. Apparently, I didn't shut the cabinet door completely OR it came open during transist BUT when we went to put out the slide out, I heard a horrible noise. Sure enough when we were opening up the slide, the cabinet door got caught and tore it all up. The hinges bent and the cabinet door is all messed up. I called Pete's RV (where I bought the camper from) and they said this happens A LOT not just on this unit but lots of campers. They recommend buying cabinet straps that will ensure the cabinets don't come open during transit. The good news in all of this is that Keystone is sending me a brand new cabinet door with hardware. I'm a perfectionist so living with a messed up cabinet door with NOT be an option for me. I just wanted to pass along this tidbit so that it doesn't happen to you as well. :-)

ScoobySue 06-16-2011 07:17 AM

Ohhh, speaking of prices, YES, they are going up. I ended up lucking out with mine. I purchased mine from Pete's RV. Apparently, they had already sold the unit I wanted (by accident) so they ordered me a brand new 2012 for the SAME price as the 2011.

Just curious.... how much did everyone pay for their unit???

majorloser 06-16-2011 12:50 PM

The unit at the Tampa show this past January was a "early model" and only had a 30 amp service. It wasn't a production unit. The rep at the show was actually from the factory. I know I wasn't the only person who brought up the 50 amp service and additional AC unit. The unit I saw at a dealership in South Florida was a 2011 production unit that also had a 30 amp service.

If the 2012 unit has the same upgrade features with the electricity as the 5th wheels, it's a no brainer. I'll be ordering my real soon.

Is the duct work run to the bedroom in a way the second AC can be tied in?

IlliniJoe 06-17-2011 08:40 AM

iluvcamping & ScoobySue, Thanks for the info. After looking at the floor plans that extra room was my thought also of leaning towards the Cougar.
Also, If I'm asking to much here please tell me to shove off, but what did you pay for your units? I was on the Walnut Ridge website and they are asking $47,805.00 for the 31RES. That sounds kind of steep to me and I know you can negotiate down but I'm kind of curious of how far you can go. Thanks again

iluvcamping 06-18-2011 07:54 AM

Don't pay any attention to any of the dealer's "manufacters" prices. They all come way down...or they should. Ours was in the upper 20's but we also had them put the Centerline hitch to the deal and that price also includes the option of the slide-out covers. Our salesman was John Stout...see what he can do for you. He's the one who told us this past Thursday that the price on that floor plan was going up $4,000 but he has 3-4 coming in at the old price. Let him know that you were told about the 4,000 price increase. It was a better deal than we could find in the St. Louis area plus they let you camp at the rv park for 2 nights just to make sure everything works to your satisfaction. We found a few small items and they sent someone right over to take care of it for us. Remember it is a light weight trailer so not everything in it top of the line because of them having to keep in the weight that it is...but we like the trailer. Taking it out for a week of 'trial'. Good luck...we think you'll like this floor plan.

taken 06-19-2011 05:29 PM

Ours was around 26. It also has the 50 amp service. There are ducts in the BR but not sure if it is framed for a second unit. On a recent 95 degree trip we got back to the trailer that was in the sun all day and HOT inside. Fired the generator and turned on the ac which is only a 13.5. The temp came right down. Not fast, but steady and was more than sufficient. Also wanted to update on our repairs. We brought ours in after the last trip when the furnace wouldn't light. Of course it worked perfectly at the dealer and you know the rule. If they can't replicate the issue, they can't do anything. The fixed our fit and finish issues. Door closes and the water pump is now VERY quiet. I fixed the tv wire catching issue myself so that was set. The bed was the biggest surprise. My dealer contacted Cougar who told them that this was an ongoing issue and offered two solutions. One is to send another mattress. Well, that would be silly as it would be the same as the first and quit in 4 nights. Their second offer was to give us $250 to buy a mattress of our choice. Well, I got a great mattress at a local dealer for $450. Only cost me $200 after Cougar's money and may very well be more comfortable than the one in our home! Way to come through on that one Cougar! We do another short 3 day trip this coming weekend to a state park an hour away. Will see if anything else arises, but I'm thinking we are good. I'm really relieved we bought local. I too considered Pete's as they are a little over 3 hours away and would have saved me $1000. I can't imagine running it back up there after one trip or trying to get my local dealer to get me reimbursed for a mattress. Heck, I'm not sure if the local place would even see me this time of year. The day I brought mine in they had 8 other people dropping off for service! They still had me done in a week. Very impressed with Diamond RV.

ScoobySue 06-20-2011 09:25 AM

I don't mind sharing how much I paid for my Cougar. I got a 2012 with 50amp service. I opted for the 2 recliner chairs vs. the 2nd couch and I got the 15 BTU a/c. I paid right about $24,500 from Pete's RV. I had it delivered to my house for an additional $900. Like I said, I love it!!! We are heading out on Friday for a 2 week long vacation to VA Beach in it. I can't wait!!!

canman84 06-24-2011 01:53 AM

I was also informed that the price will be increasing by $4,000 but the dealership informed me that there won't be any significant upgrades for that price. I plan to purchase one when I return from this deployment and I'm going to tow it with a 2010 crewmax Toyota Tundra. Thanks for all the data in reference to tongue weight, maintenance issues, etc...... I plan to live out of mine full time for at least 2 years (95% of the people that I tell think I'm crazy until I lay out my plan) because I travel a lot and we don't plan to have any kids until 4 years from now. I've seen these models range in price from $23k to $39k (the more expensive ones are in FL). I am willing to purchase it from anywhere on the east coast but thus far I've primarily been in contact with Pets's RV and Terry Town RV. Hopefully there won't be many issues out of it and my wife and I will be able to enjoy a lifestyle that none of our peers are......
I've saved enough for a sizeable down payment so I may order it sooner than expected. Does anyone recommend a particular company for insurance? I was thinking of keeping USAA or utilizing Progressive.
Thanks.

iluvcamping 06-26-2011 09:49 PM

TAKEN...you're right...we just got back today from a week in our new trailer. The mattress sags in the middle....bad news!
And...the inlet for the black water clean out spits water everywhere at the connection even after adding new washers to the hose we use for that. Our bedroom door sticks...I remember you said your bathroom door did the same....any suggestions?? I'm going also have to contack the maker of the toilet because sometimes it doesn't hold water after flushing...I think it's the seal. It doesn't look like it was put in properly...hopefully, a small fix.
Another problem we had was our truck has a bed cover and after making some very sharp turns to get it parked that overhang in the front of the trailer clipped the side of my bed cover and left a few scratches on the trailer....not good. I'll have to watch that closer.
But we love the trailer....even a newly built house has issues that need iron out.

iluvcamping 06-26-2011 09:52 PM

P.S. After contacting Keystone our dealer found out that our 321RES wasn't wired for a second ac in the bedroom and he said that wasn't an option. (Not sure if that is true or not.) We did get the 15,000 ac and when we were on our trip this week it was in the upper 90's and seemed to work ok. I like the fact that there is a 'high' and 'low' fan speed on the ac.

taken 06-27-2011 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcamping (Post 889172)
TAKEN...you're right...we just got back today from a week in our new trailer. The mattress sags in the middle....bad news!
And...the inlet for the black water clean out spits water everywhere at the connection even after adding new washers to the hose we use for that. Our bedroom door sticks...I remember you said your bathroom door did the same....any suggestions?? I'm going also have to contact the maker of the toilet because sometimes it doesn't hold water after flushing...I think it's the seal. It doesn't look like it was put in properly...hopefully, a small fix.
Another problem we had was our truck has a bed cover and after making some very sharp turns to get it parked that overhang in the front of the trailer clipped the side of my bed cover and left a few scratches on the trailer....not good. I'll have to watch that closer.
But we love the trailer....even a newly built house has issues that need iron out.

You're having some of our issues. Well, the mattress is easy as like I said, they will give you $250 and you just buy your own. Whatever you buy will be of much higher quality that an RV mattress. I haven't used the black tank flush yet so will keep an eye on that. Your door will need to be shimmed and possible have the striker adjusted. Our toilet also had a bad gasket. It was too large and you really had to snap the flush lever a couple of times to get it to close completely and really seal. You're dealer will take care of all of this. I would make them aware of the mattress well ahead of time. Perhaps place a board across it to show the sagging and send them some pics. That way they can get approval from Keystone in advance. Our dealer just cut us a check and we gave them the receipt from the place we bought our new mattress so that they could get reimbursed. They have to get prior approval from Keystone though to make sure they get paid under warranty. The toilet, door, and black tank flush are all fairly quick fixes for a RV tech, so if you can pin them down to when exactly they can do it, perhaps you can get it all done in a day and be done with it. The thing is, they will have to order the black tank fitting as well as the toilet gasket. So, like the mattress, I would advise them in detail of all your issues in advance so maybe you can get it done in a day. I realize your dealer is far away. Makes me very happy I bought local with all the bugs that need worked out. We've only been out once and I'm not convinced that more gremlins won't show up.......

iluvcamping 06-27-2011 10:03 PM

Thanks for the info, TAKEN! We'll certainly try to get this all fixed. Problem is...our dealer is west of Indianapolis and we're in St. Louis, MO. I guess maybe Keystone would let us take it to our local dealer...if that dealer is willing...which most aren't unless you buy from them. Our local dealer didn't get this floor plan in until just about 2 weeks ago.
I notice you have a Ford 250....when I make a sharp turn with this trailer with my Ford my truck bed cover touches the sides of the trailer in an almost ' jack knife' position. I notices that some of the paint on my bed cover was chipped and then noticed a few scratches on the trailer just where the over hang part is in the front of the trailer. Our truck is a crew 4x4 so it does sit a little high....just thought you might want to check yours out when making those sharp turns when parking the trailer.
Also, the curb side (table side) slide has been touching the corner of of cabinet on the sink and has rubbed the stain on both the cabinet and the table. Easy fix...just irratating.
I think I can fix the door and maybe the flush out fitting that's leaking but I'm going to check out the mattress better and if necessary send the photo's like you suggested to our dealer. That's a good idea. Thanks!

taken 06-28-2011 05:03 AM

No rubbing on hard turns here. I think it depends on the hitch you use. The longer the shank, the further back from the truck the trailer is. No rubbing on the slide either. I understand on your dealer being far away. I bet your local dealer will take care of the issues. They will just take care of their customers first. Mine deal was the same way. Pete's had a 321 in stock and my local place hadn't even heard of them yet. I went back and forth with them on price until I got close to Pete's and then they just ordered me one. It was in within a month so it's not like a special order was a long wait. I too was thinking of fixing some of my issues myself. My dealer is only 20 minutes away, but it is a pain to drag the trailer there. However, when the issues piled up I figured it was worth it to bring it in and have everything done at once. The mattress was the final straw. If whatever dealer you go to doesn't know about the issue with the mattress, I would let them know that it is a know it is a known issue with Keystone and that you've talked with others who had a mattress warrantied out. They will require the old mattress back and a receipt to show you bought a replacement. Also, it's "up to $250." If you buy a $200 mattress, you only get $200. Ours was $450 so we got the full $250....

ScoobySue 07-08-2011 08:47 AM

Same problems with the mattress here. My boyfriend doesn't mind it but I hate it! It sags in the middle horrible.

We just got back from a 2 week trip in the Cougar. We have the 15K BTU a/c and camped in temperatures between 90-100. It doesn't cool anywhere near where it should. At this point, I'm looking into getting a 2nd a/c installed in the bedroom. God know how much this will cost me but I can't help it. Let me ask you guys something... When you shut the main a/c vent (coming from the unit), do you have a HIGH pressure of air coming from the roof vents? I swear I don't think mine is working properly.

iluvcamping 07-08-2011 11:19 AM

SCOOBYSUE.....We camped a couple weeks ago in 90+ temps. The bedroom was warm but not unbearable....especially at night when the temps were a little lower. I always have a small fan going in the bedroom anyway.
The ac in the living area has that quick cool feature and when it's on we've noticed that not as much air blows out of the vents in the bathroom and bedroom but when we close the quick cool feature...it gets a little better. We love the quick cool feature that the 321RES has.
If you keep the bathroom door open to the bedroom that makes it a whole lot better. Our bath ac vent seems to pump out a lot of air.
Our Cougar wasn't wired for the second ac in the bedroom and our dealer said it wasn't an option so I don't know if that's true or not. I would wonder if it's even possible to add a roof ac in the bedroom without that wiring.
I'm going to do what TAKEN suggested and contact Keystone about our mattress. I took the pictures like he said. I put a metal pole across the bed side to side and then got down to shoot pictures of the space that is easily noticeable in the middle. Hopefully, they'll do something for us. After sleeping in the bed only 9 nights it's a little ridiculous to have a mattress sag.

majorloser 07-08-2011 05:44 PM

There's plenty of room in that bedroom to use a portable AC unit. Just need to rig up the exhaust to one of the windows. Might even be able to set it in the closet and exhaust through the trap door. Home Depot had some on sale a little while ago. A heck of a lot cheaper than getting a 13K unit installed on the roof. I was looking at the LG units in the store the other day. Not that big either. Could even use it as a stop gap measure for times you know you'll be traveling when it's really hot and other times just leave it at home.

LG Electronics 13,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote - LP1311BXR at The Home Depot

taken 07-10-2011 12:37 PM

I get high pressure through the vents when the main vent or "quick cool" is closed. The bedroom is the weakest as it's the furthest away. Iluvcamping is right, the BR vent has excellent flow and when the bedroom is warm, we leave the sliding bathroom door open and direct the bathroom vent towards the bedroom. We only have the 13.5k. Just got back from a 5 day trip and the day we set up is was over 90. Got it right down to the low 80's in an hour or so, but our site was very shaded. We always do state parks so we generally have some shade which I'm sure makes a difference. As for the mattress, we didn't have to do much pushing. They offered right away to replace or give us the $250 credit. After this last trip with our new mattress we are so much happier. It's better than the one in our home. The only downfall is it's a little heavier so the struts don't hold it up when accessing the storage underneath. A worthwhile tradeoff though!

taken 07-11-2011 05:35 AM

PS: We do have another fit and finish issue to report. All the wallpaper border is bubbling and peeling. It is very cheap self stick stuff. (I know as I paint and hang wallpaper for a living.) I have been sticking it back down so far but I imagine in the near future I will have to take it all down. I probably won't bother putting any back up. Too bad as it looks very nice. You guys should run your hand over yours. I bet it's all bubbles. I think it's another common issue with this trailer as my dealer just got another one in. I was looking at the pics on their website out of curiosity and saw that the section of border behind one of the couches was falling right off! Check out image #5: Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES West Hatfield Massachusetts | 2012 Travel Trailer, Diamond RV Centre, Inc.

taken 07-11-2011 09:56 AM

PPS: Another update on the 321RES just came in the mail this morning. There is a safety recall on all 2011-12 High Country 321RES trailers. The axles that were installed are the wrong size. 4400# axles were installed instead of 5200# units. When the trailer is loaded to it's max GVWR of 10k you will be over the limit on the axles. Very dangerous. Once again I'm glad I bought local as I have to get it in to get those replaced. I imagine you guys will get the same letter soon....

ScoobySue 07-12-2011 06:40 AM

Yep.. I got the recall letter in the mail last night. I'm going to call Keystone today and have them found me a dealer within 2 hours of me that will do the repair. I guess that's the problem with NOT buying local! UGH!!!! Lesson learned!!!

iluvcamping 07-12-2011 07:56 AM

Thanks for the info TAKEN & SCOOBYSUE!
We haven't received any recall letter yet. Our 321RES has a manufacture date on the plate of the trailer of last month....June 2011. We picked it up in New Castle, IN on 6/15. I wonder if maybe they had caught their mistake by the time they made ours. That could be very dangerous!
We have a dealer that's only about 45 minutes from us so if we have to have the axle replaced we'll insist that we get it done there.
I emailed Keystone about our mattress toward the end of last week but haven't received anything back from them yet.
I'll have to check the wallpaper border. Cosmetic things we can handle but things that could make it dangerous going down the road are unacceptable! At least they're owning up to that mistake.

iluvcamping 07-12-2011 08:10 AM

I just found this when I "Googled" Keystone recall...

KEYSTONE IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011-2012 COUGAR HIGH COUNTRY TRAVEL TRAILERS PRODUCED FROM NOVEMBER 3, 2010, THROUGH MAY 26, 2011, FOR HAVING 4400 POUND AXLES INSTALLED INSTEAD OF 5200 POUND AXLES. IF A VEHICLE IS LOADED TO THE MAXIMUM STATED GVWR OF 10,000 POUNDS, THE 4400 POUND AXLE WILL BE OVERLOADED.

Hopefully, ours was made in June.

ScoobySue 07-12-2011 09:05 AM

Ohh, I hope for your sake, you don't have to get the axles repaired. It's turning into a HUGE headache. We have a local dealer (30 minutes) away that will fix it BUT they are backed up 3 weeks on repairs. Next closest place is 2 hours and they are only backed up a week and a half. Problem is that I HAVE to have this done and asap. I feel uncomfortable towing the camper anywhere with this issue. AND I have a camping trip in 2 weeks. This is bad... What a pain!!!

As for the mattress, I want to get the $250 credit as well. What do I need to do to get this? What size is the mattress? I'm going to look at my local mattress place and see if I can find a deal on a good one to replace it with. I agree I shouldn't have to sleep uncomfortable. To me it's worth paying a few hundred dollars more for one that I am happy with!!!

taken 07-12-2011 02:52 PM

The mattress is a standard queen mattress. 60X80. Some RV's have a smaller "queen" but ours is full size just like a home queen. We got one that was about $450 that was a last years model. Very nice and only cost $200 to upgrade. To get it, you have to have your dealer take a picture of the mattress showing it's failure. The dealer will give you a check for $250 and get reimbursed from Keystone under warranty. They will also need to keep your old mattress AND have a photo copy of your receipt for your new replacement mattress for proof to get their warranty money. As for the axles we are waiting til we have time to get it in. I'm in no hurry. I'm sure I'm no where the max of 10k. Also remember that at least 1200 of your weight is on the tongue and carried by the tow vehicle so even with 8800# of axles you are still safe at the 10k limit. Yes, it's nice to have a buffer, but I'm not going to race in to get it done. Also, according to my letter it said all 2011 and 2012 321RES trailers are included in the recall, but maybe you're safe ILC...

JimEli 07-12-2011 08:57 PM

I just crawled under my 321RES and pulled a sticker off the axle. It says Dexter D44. I scheduled a recall visit for next week. More to follow...

iluvcamping 07-12-2011 09:22 PM

What's the axle number to look for....hubby wants to check it out for himself. We didn't get a letter today....we hope they got it right on ours. We did get a return email from Keystone that said for us to take it in to one of the 3 dealers in our area for the mattress, a toilet that won't hold water and a leaky outside flush connection. Now if we can get one of the 3 that's willing to do the work it will be great. I was wondering...Taken...if we had to take the pics or the dealer so thanks for that info! I do have some pics, though, that I took. Hope it turns out for us like it did for you.
As things come up...I hope you guys keep posting!!

JimEli 07-13-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcamping (Post 902136)
What's the axle number to look for....hubby wants to check it out for himself. We didn't get a letter today....we hope they got it right on ours.

Look for Dexter D44 or D52.

taken 07-14-2011 03:35 PM

Stickers are right on the axles. D44 here. New ones on order at my dealer. I can only imagine what this is costing Keystone. Then what do they do with all those "slightly used" 4400# axles. I bet that they can't be used for anything as there is a possibility of an overload situation in the past which has overstressed them and made them now unsafe.

JimEli 07-17-2011 04:19 PM

321RES First Trip

We just completed a very short outing with our brand new 321RES and overall weíre very happy with our purchase. Here are a few brief notes:

We pulled it with our í07 Toyota Tundra, (prodigy, air-bags, 10K load bearing hitch) and while you definitely know itís back there, it handled the weight well. Our Tundraís 381HP/401 torque has no problem getting the 321RES up to speed or keeping it there. However, swaying will be the bigger problem with this combination, and we seemed happiest keeping it between 60-65 mph. I will be investigating sway control options in the future.

Our load-bearing hitch requires removal of the propane cover to snap the chains in place. I need to have a modified lever=arm constructed to eliminate this hassle.

Set up was quick and easy with the remote control. However, I wish the outside light was included on the remote. Donít buy this trailer or make sure you use pull-through if you hate backing up.

Weíve exercised the slideouts on our trailer several times before this outing. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any issues with the cables. I notice on the main slide, the lower cable tends to go slack as the slide is between full in and out. I also read in the manual a requirement to have the cable tension adjusted after initial use. Has anyone had this done?

There seems to be plenty of windows to open, and we had no humidity issues even enduring an all-day rain storm in the Pacific NW.

I intend to make a support for the step, as it seems a little weak.

All of the trim wallpaper has bubbled and will need to be fixed.

One of our shades has no tension and falls closed. How do you adjust this?

Our mattress seems ok for now. Note that Iím 180 and the wife is 110.

My wife did remark about the difficulty of making the bed due to the tight enclosure of the slideout. However, we love the amount of bedroom storage.

Make sure to check the routing of the wires behind your popup TV. We have a 32Ē Vizio, and the wires can catch on raisin/lowering.

One issue we donít like is that when buttoned-up, there is no way to get to the kitchen unless you want to climb over the kitchen counter. Also, our table rubs the kitchen counter during towing. I suggest some sort of anti-chafe padding be placed between them.

Wednesday we take our trailer to the dealer for the axles.

iluvcamping 07-18-2011 09:17 AM

JIM...Thanks for the info!
Wallpaper: we've noticed some bubbles, too, but so far not too bad. We may have to replace sometime in the future if necessary.
Hitch & sway: We have the Huskey Centerline hitch set up and haven't had trouble with sway but speed is always a factor when sway issues come up so we try to watch that.
Cables: We haven't really checked ours...but we will since you mentioned it. Thanks for a 'heads up'!
Bed: We haven't taken ours to a dealer yet. I've found if I pull the mattress toward me just a little to do the top corners and then slide it back it works pretty well without too much effort.
Table: We've got the same problem with the table rubbing in one little spot on the sink cabinet. I've been placing a towel between them to help with that. The table must not be placed right when they screwed it down to the floor. Not being able to get through to the living section is a drawback to this floor plan when the slides are in.
Shade tension: The best way we've found to take care of that in some of the trailers we've owned is that you need to pull on the string that is wrapped around the little buttons on the wall and make the string tighter fitting around the button. That puts more tension on the shade. Works everytime for us.
We contacted Keystone about our mattress, toilet not holding water and the outside flush connection leaking and they told us to take it to our nearest dealer. ( We bought ours in Indiana and we live in Missouri.) I think we'll wait for another trip just to make sure there aren't other issues.
I also asked Keystone to check to see if our Dexter axle was on recall and they said no that it wasn't. So we're ok for that issue.
All things considered, we love our trailer.

majorloser 07-18-2011 03:01 PM

I just got my truck back from the body shop after almost three months. I don't want to sound mean or come across as a bad guy, but I'm glad you all had a chance to buy before me. You've given me a heck of a lot of new info to use before I start shopping again for a trailer. This past March the wife and I decided to hold off till we paid off her car at the end of the year. Then April rolls around and my truck gets t-boned.

At this point we're still confused which direction to go, buy a TT or a 5'vr. :confused:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody had a chance to see if either a Hensley or ProPride hitch will fit the 321RES? They both use jacks for the load bearing arms that would be right where the LP tank cover falls. The Hensley rep said they could make it work, but I'm just skeptical. I guess the cover could be left off, but it would seem the front would just end up acting like a scoop in the wind, picking up debris.

taken 07-18-2011 03:14 PM

I don't think either of those hitches would work without loosing the cover which ruins the whole look of the front end and will as you state, catch wind, water and debris. As another posted stated, chain type snap up brackets will work, but the cover will have to be removed when hooking and un-hooking. That's one of the reasons I chose the Equalizer. All you need is the tongue jack to get the bars on. Works 100% too. No need to spend all that money on a Hensley or PP IMHO. For us the decision on TT vs. 5er was a non decision as I refuse to give up the bed of my truck while towing. Generators, atvs, bicycles, etc. all come along from time to time. As for the trailer, I have no regrets. Bugs will be fixed under warranty. Still the best looking with the best floor plan I have ever come across......

JimEli 07-21-2011 10:20 AM

Update: We dropped our 321RES off at Camping World for the recall and warranty work.

Oddly, even though the recall stated our axles needed to be replaced, and a week ago I informed Camping World that I identified the incorrect axles were on our trailer, the axles still need to be ordered and shipped.

Subsequent to my previous post, we found the following additional problems:

1. Massive leak in the fresh water tank/system. The carpet in the left rear of the trailer is soaked through and water is visibly leaking around the drain tube.

2. One of the grey water tank valves leaks (I estimate at a rate of a pint per day). We discovered this on our way to the dealer and were unable to determine which tank it was.

We will be without the use of our trailer until these items get addressed. Surprisingly, as we dropped our 321RES off, a new one was being accepted by the owners. Understand, we love our trailer, however I am very disappointed with the quality control at Keystone/Cougar.

iluvcamping 07-23-2011 08:15 AM

Wow, JimEli....those are some major problems.
One thing we can't figure out is if your fresh water tank and drain tube was leaking underneath..how did your carpet above get so wet?
We noticed gray water coming out of the pipe when the cap was removed but hubby noticed he didn't have the close valve pushed all the way in...he had to use his muscles : ) to do it.
I checked on the bubbles on our wallpaper border and sure enough there are a few. Will have to keep a close eye on that especially with all of the ridiculous hot weather we've been having here in the mid-west. We still have to address our sagging mattress issue with a local Cougar dealer...just waiting to see if anything else pops up. We plan on taking the trailer to Branson the end of the month so we'll see then if there are other issues.
A bit surprised that Camping World wasn't more 'on the ball' for you regarding your axle.
Don't give up...keep smiling...I think we still have a nice trailer. Just need to get all of these 'bugs' worked out!!

JimEli 07-24-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcamping (Post 910880)
Wow, JimEli....those are some major problems.
One thing we can't figure out is if your fresh water tank and drain tube was leaking underneath..how did your carpet above get so wet?

I don't know the dynamics of why the carpet was soaked. But it was sopping wet. Possibly, the filler hose (which is above floor level) leaked during movement/towing which soaked the carpet. We discovered it upon arrival at the campsite, shortly after connection to city water (we used a reducer too). We had never used city or tank water systems prior to this discovery. However, the dealer had filled the fresh water tank before our delivery. Could the pump (which is in the left rear) be responsible for it? The tank might not be leaking, and the drain hose could simply be the path out of the trailer. Oddly, I drained the tank, and there was still water dripping from the drain area, even without city hook-up too. We hope to find out soon.

taken 07-24-2011 03:50 PM

Jim, the pump is up in the kitchen area, not in the rear. It's buried around the hot water tank. So, that's probably not it. Let us know what you hear. My axles are still on order and all other problems baring the wallpaper border have been addressed. I'm in the same camp as everyone else. Once the bugs are fixed, the look and floorplan of this trailer are still the best.....

canman84 07-25-2011 01:31 AM

Tundra Follow up

[QUOTE=JimEli;905909]We just completed a very short outing with our brand new 321RES and overall weíre very happy with our purchase. Here are a few brief notes:

We pulled it with our í07 Toyota Tundra, (prodigy, air-bags, 10K load bearing hitch) and while you definitely know itís back there, it handled the weight well. Our Tundraís 381HP/401 torque has no problem getting the 321RES up to speed or keeping it there. However, swaying will be the bigger problem with this combination, and we seemed happiest keeping it between 60-65 mph. I will be investigating sway control options in the future.

Our load-bearing hitch requires removal of the propane cover to snap the chains in place. I need to have a modified lever=arm constructed to eliminate this hassle.

Set up was quick and easy with the remote control. However, I wish the outside light was included on the remote. Donít buy this trailer or make sure you use pull-through if you hate backing up.

JimELI,
How many MPG did you average with the Tundra? Did you have your water tanks full or anything in your front storage compartment while towing the 321?
Thanks.

JimEli 07-25-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taken (Post 911998)
Jim, the pump is up in the kitchen area, not in the rear. It's buried around the hot water tank. So, that's probably not it. Let us know what you hear. My axles are still on order and all other problems baring the wallpaper border have been addressed. I'm in the same camp as everyone else. Once the bugs are fixed, the look and floorplan of this trailer are still the best.....

I'm without trailer to confirm this, but what is behind the removable panel under the TV, bottom left (right when facing the TV)?

JimEli 07-25-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canman84 (Post 912340)
JimELI,
How many MPG did you average with the Tundra? Did you have your water tanks full or anything in your front storage compartment while towing the 321?
Thanks.

fresh water full, gray/black water empty, front compartment with about 75 lbs. of gear, kitchen 3/4 full of gear & food, light on clothes, and 3 dachshunds. 10.5 mpg @ 60-65 mph.

taken 07-25-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimEli (Post 912703)
I'm without trailer to confirm this, but what is behind the removable panel under the TV, bottom left (right when facing the TV)?

That is where the electric comes into the trailer. Maybe a junction box. My water pump broke free of it's mounts and was vibrating like crazy. Trust me, it's up by the hw tank.

JimEli 07-28-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimEli (Post 909388)
Update: We dropped our 321RES off at Camping World for the recall and warranty work.

Oddly, even though the recall stated our axles needed to be replaced, and a week ago I informed Camping World that I identified the incorrect axles were on our trailer, the axles still need to be ordered and shipped.

Subsequent to my previous post, we found the following additional problems:

1. Massive leak in the fresh water tank/system. The carpet in the left rear of the trailer is soaked through and water is visibly leaking around the drain tube.

2. One of the grey water tank valves leaks (I estimate at a rate of a pint per day). We discovered this on our way to the dealer and were unable to determine which tank it was.

We will be without the use of our trailer until these items get addressed. Surprisingly, as we dropped our 321RES off, a new one was being accepted by the owners. Understand, we love our trailer, however I am very disappointed with the quality control at Keystone/Cougar.

Dealer found 2 fresh water leaks. One at the tank and another on a line from the pump. They are still working the gray water leak. Dealer unsure about the resolution for the bubbly wall paper. New axles are scheduled to arrive on Aug 3rd...

taken 07-31-2011 05:41 AM

New axles go in mine a week from Monday. Am going to have them adjust the bedroom door like they did with the bathroom door last time. It's a bit tight. Otherwise, I think ours is set. Heading to Lake Champlain this week to enjoy it some more....

taken 08-02-2011 03:26 PM

Just noticed while packing today that our table is rubbing our counter as well. Guess I'm in that group too. Will see what the dealer can do when I bring it in for the axles next Monday......

aimcom 08-06-2011 09:37 PM

can my 2012 infiniti qx56 suv tow this 321res?

hi everyone,
first, to let you all know that i know absolutely nothing about trailers...:confused:
i was doing some initial internet searching and planning, and really love the looks & layout of this trailer!!!
even though you are having some "niggles" with your recent purchases, it sounds like you all are very pleased overall, which is very encouraging.
On infiniti's website they say the qx56 can tow 8500 lbs...(Tow/Payload8500/1650-1700 lbs)...do i compare that with the "shipping weight" of 7625 lbs listed in the cougar brochure?
If so, then what advice could you offer, in setting this up, with the right hitches/stabilizers etc. to make this combo work best?
thanks in advance for any help.

canman84 08-07-2011 12:06 AM

Ok, so I finally selected the trailer with the Silver Sage interior and I'm currently working financing with Pete's RV. I have to drive appx. 11 hours to go pick it up but I'm just going to chalk that up as another adventure. Would any of you recommend the 321RES for full-time RVing? I plan to become a full-time RVer for at least the next 4 years and the 321RES looks very liveable. Also, do any of you have solar panels installed? I've been reviewing various products and that is one of the first things that I'm going to do when I purchase the RV. Thanks.

taken 08-07-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimcom (Post 924056)
hi everyone,
first, to let you all know that i know absolutely nothing about trailers...:confused:
i was doing some initial internet searching and planning, and really love the looks & layout of this trailer!!!
even though you are having some "niggles" with your recent purchases, it sounds like you all are very pleased overall, which is very encouraging.
On infiniti's website they say the qx56 can tow 8500 lbs...(Tow/Payload8500/1650-1700 lbs)...do i compare that with the "shipping weight" of 7625 lbs listed in the cougar brochure?
If so, then what advice could you offer, in setting this up, with the right hitches/stabilizers etc. to make this combo work best?
thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry, but no way, no how. Dry is completely dry like not propane, no battery, etc. Just adding those two things will put you over your towing limit. Ready to camp you will have close to 10000 lbs easy. A very heavily equipt half ton pickup or a 3/4 ton will be the tow vehicle for this trailer. And don't let your dealer tell you different! They will say anything to get a trailer sold. What you need to find is a trailer with a max gvwr of 8500 lbs and you will be set. That means the most the trailer can weight loaded to it's max is 8500.

taken 08-07-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canman84 (Post 924109)
Ok, so I finally selected the trailer with the Silver Sage interior and I'm currently working financing with Pete's RV. I have to drive appx. 11 hours to go pick it up but I'm just going to chalk that up as another adventure. Would any of you recommend the 321RES for full-time RVing? I plan to become a full-time RVer for at least the next 4 years and the 321RES looks very liveable. Also, do any of you have solar panels installed? I've been reviewing various products and that is one of the first things that I'm going to do when I purchase the RV. Thanks.

Not sure if you read everyone's posts, but buying from an out of state dealer can be very problematic. Your local dealer has no obligation to do warranty repairs on a unit they didn't sell and trust me, you will have issues! I would really try to get your local dealer to match or come close to Pete's. Mine got close enough and I'm so glad it worked out that way with all the repairs and recalls these trailers need after delivery. Also be very careful with Pete's. They are high volume and sleazy with added fees and they will charge you over msrp on any accessories you ad to the deal. I dealt with a few of their salesmen before making my purchase and they outright lied to me about the trailer, vehicles towing abilities, and my favorite was their inventory. Do not believe them when the say they have one in stock at their "stock yards" out of state. Keystone confirmed to me that was complete bs and that they just order units when people give them deposits. Left a real bad taste in my mouth. So, as for full timing, personally I wouldn't. Not just in this trailer but any run of the mill TT. Everything them is cheap made for occasional use, ie: camping. Doors, drawers, cabinets, furniture, and plumbing won't hold up long in everyday use.

iluvcamping 08-07-2011 07:12 PM

Wow...I think you would have a big problem....and totally agree with what TAKEN has said. We tow ours with a 2010 F-150 super crew 4x4 with heavy duty tow package. Supposedly geared to tow 11,300 lbs. Keep in mind also that it is a 36 ft. trailer. Check out some of Keystone's more lighter weight rv's or even Jayco super lights. You're right though...most of us on this thread like our RES321. But..CANMAN84...we wouldn't want to live full time in it. A couple of months at a time maybe but not 4 years. Keep us posted on what you decide.

canman84 08-09-2011 04:51 AM

Thanks for the heads up taken and iluvcamping! I contacted a dealership near Atlanta, GA and they flat out told me that they can't sell that unit for less than $31k so Pete's has them beat by approximately $6k. I've been on youtube looking at some of the RV's that people are living out of and they are nothing compared to the 321RES. I'm an active duty officer in the Army and I've lived in some absolute crap holes after 3 deployments. I've lived in 142 degree weather, been limited to bathing every 1.5 months and been required to eat the same food for over 3 months. I'm actually looking forward to living out of the RV and so is my wife due to us relocating frequently. It appears that the only other thing we will require is somewhere to wash clothes from time to time. A fellow Soldier purchased an RV that he lives out of and it's hideous, not to mention that it was made in 1988. I guess I just appreciate the little things because I've seen it much, much worse. Nonetheless, I will keep you posted on how full-timing goes and try to assemble some pictures. I'm still doing lots of research right now because I'm currently deployed and won't return until next spring. As for Pete's RV, they don't seem to be the most enthusiastic crew but they are going to hold my 321RES for free as well as give me 10% off of anything that I purchase from them for a year (or so they say, lol). I'll try my best to maintain the RV during this tenure but when it comes down to it, all I really need is food, clothing and shelter; regardless of how it is provided. Also, I'm 28 and as far as I know, none of my friends have ever attempted a change of this magnitude. I enjoy the look on their faces when they try to rationalize what I'm doing and how I'm able to do it. MTF (MTF=More to Follow) :-)

taken 08-09-2011 05:44 AM

That's amazing that your dealer won't come close. They all pay the same for the unit so they are basically saying they want to make 7-9 grand on one trailer sale. Sleazebags. If you don't mind the maintenance, then I'm sure you could make it work living out of your trailer. As far as Pete's goes, just be sure they really have the trailer in stock. They exaggerate their inventory at the time of a phone sale then worry about sourcing the trailer. Also, I would recommend going back in this thread and looking at the issues others have had and make sure they are addressed before you take delivery. Most of these units seem to have the same problems from the factory. Anyways, good luck with your purchase and thank you very much for your service!

taken 08-09-2011 05:55 AM

Well, my trailer is now in for the axle swap and I wanted to add a few more bugs to the list for people to watch out for. My black tank flush is also a disaster like a previous poster mentioned. Leaks like crazy at the exterior fitting and also leaks inside the trailer filling under the bathroom sink with water. My table is hitting the counter like others have had happen. One of my kitchen cabinets won't close correctly. My bedroom door won't close when it gets humid. The struts on my bed won't hold it up when accessing the storage area any more since I swapped for a new mattress which is a touch heavier than the original that failed. The sliding window next to the dinette won't open without the screen coming with it. They get stuck together. The black tank holding valve doesn't seal completely. At the edge of the carpet where it meets the vinyl flooring, Keystone used round staples instead of flat ones or nails and they really hurt bare feet when stepped on. The guide for the sliding bathroom door is very cheap plastic and has already bent and deformed allowing the door to swing out into the bedroom. Lastly, the insulators that cover the holes where the slide cables enter the trailer are all peeling off and are now dangling on the slide cables. I'm really starting to worry about the quality of this trailer. Again, it is the best looking with the best floorplan I've seen. The workmanship and materials quality is just awful though. Now I'm just worried that I won't find all the issues before the warranty is out. They just keep arriving in waves.........

taken 08-09-2011 07:15 AM

PS: The latch on the entrance door is a mess as well. Door won't close unless slammed. Another for the list......

JimEli 08-09-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taken (Post 925988)
At the edge of the carpet where it meets the vinyl flooring, Keystone used round staples instead of flat ones or nails and they really hurt bare feet when stepped on.

Oh, I forgot to mention this. I drew blood on one of these staples.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taken (Post 925988)
I'm really starting to worry about the quality of this trailer. Again, it is the best looking with the best floorplan I've seen. The workmanship and materials quality is just awful though. Now I'm just worried that I won't find all the issues before the warranty is out. They just keep arriving in waves.........

Agreed. There is a SERIOUS lack of basic quality control at Keystone.

ScoobySue 08-10-2011 07:51 AM

Canman -- I bought my 2012 High Country 321RES from Pete's RV and honestly the experience was overall very good!! I was in the same boat as you. Local dealers couldn't even come close to the deal Pete's was giving me. So, we took the plunge and bought from Pete's. My salesman was Louie Cooper. He was pretty good -- could have been a little more attentive to emails but that's okay. I, like the others here, am having some of the same issues with the camper but that has nothing to do with Pete's. That's completely Keystone's poor work quality. I ended up paying to have the unit delievered to my home by their transporter since I live about 20 hours each way from them. The delivery was perfect. The guy showed up exactly when they said he would and parked it right where I wanted it. He filled the 2 propane tanks and showed me all around the camper. I have 2 dealers within 2 hours of me. One is willing to do warranty work and the other is not. Since I did not buy from them, I'm not at the top of the list for service BUT honestly, that does not bother me. I saved over $8,000 buying from Pete's and I would do it again in a heartbeat. They are legit and put everything in writing. Soo, long story short, go for it. You will not be disappointed. :-)

taken 08-10-2011 08:32 AM

Wow, our dealer got within a thou. Close enough.

ScoobySue 08-10-2011 02:48 PM

I was actually working with about 4 or 5 dealers within 2 hours of me and the closest any of them could get was about $5,000 and trust me, I negoitated over and over and over again. They said the price Pete's was giving me was UNDER the price they paid. I have a hard time believing that but whatever.... They also tried to tell me they wouldn't provide warranty work or any of that just to get me to buy from them. BUT when it came down to it and I bought the camper from Pete's they sent me an email offering to do the warranty work.

taken 08-10-2011 02:59 PM

That's such BS. I've heard that from dealers too. It's never true. Glad I worked out for you. As you recall, I was talking with Pete's at the same time as you and they didn't even offer me the same price as they did you. Maybe it depends on who you deal with there, but to me it felt very sketchy. They tried to charge me over MSRP on hitching equipment and some fantastic fans. Never mind the discount they promised. (I ended up buying my items online for 30-40 percent less than Pete's. You'd think that when someone is buying a trailer from you, that you would be straight with them. Plus, I found out they were lying to me about their inventory lot out near the Keystone factory. There is no such lot and that was a straight up lie to get me to leave a deposit. Then they would order my trailer and make me wait. Their inventory on their webs site is also BS. Again, I'm glad you had a good experience there. I wouldn't buy a dog house from them......

canman84 08-11-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobySue (Post 926976)
Canman -- I bought my 2012 High Country 321RES from Pete's RV and honestly the experience was overall very good!! I was in the same boat as you. Local dealers couldn't even come close to the deal Pete's was giving me. So, we took the plunge and bought from Pete's. My salesman was Louie Cooper. He was pretty good -- could have been a little more attentive to emails but that's okay. I, like the others here, am having some of the same issues with the camper but that has nothing to do with Pete's. That's completely Keystone's poor work quality. I ended up paying to have the unit delievered to my home by their transporter since I live about 20 hours each way from them. The delivery was perfect. The guy showed up exactly when they said he would and parked it right where I wanted it. He filled the 2 propane tanks and showed me all around the camper. I have 2 dealers within 2 hours of me. One is willing to do warranty work and the other is not. Since I did not buy from them, I'm not at the top of the list for service BUT honestly, that does not bother me. I saved over $8,000 buying from Pete's and I would do it again in a heartbeat. They are legit and put everything in writing. Soo, long story short, go for it. You will not be disappointed. :-)

:dance: THANKS SCOOBY SUE !!! I have really been doing a lot of research and it seems like a good buy. I'm not hesitant to talk money so after financing I will pay less than $200 a month. I'm glad that the delivery man showed you around the RV, that was a concern of mine. If they are willing to do the same for me, I'll have them deliver it rather than drive up there to get it. :thumb: I'm not sure where I will be stationed when I return to the U.S. but I am greatly looking forward to living out of the 321RES (despite the issues). I'm still doing my analysis on generators, solar panels and security systems. I've contacted various dealers and some have priced the 321RES as high as $42,000 :eek: (that's after negotiations) stating that it is very hard for them to maintain that floor plan due to customer demand. I'm slightly disappointed that I can't replace the free standing dinette with a booth style seating area but such is life, it will be ok. This may seem like an off the wall question but how long does it take for the shower water to get warm? I don't like to waste things so I'm trying to find out ways that I can be more energy efficient. :angel:

canman84 08-11-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taken (Post 927339)
That's such BS. I've heard that from dealers too. It's never true. Glad I worked out for you. As you recall, I was talking with Pete's at the same time as you and they didn't even offer me the same price as they did you. Maybe it depends on who you deal with there, but to me it felt very sketchy. They tried to charge me over MSRP on hitching equipment and some fantastic fans. Never mind the discount they promised. (I ended up buying my items online for 30-40 percent less than Pete's. You'd think that when someone is buying a trailer from you, that you would be straight with them. Plus, I found out they were lying to me about their inventory lot out near the Keystone factory. There is no such lot and that was a straight up lie to get me to leave a deposit. Then they would order my trailer and make me wait. Their inventory on their webs site is also BS. Again, I'm glad you had a good experience there. I wouldn't buy a dog house from them......

LMBO, sorry for laughing but I feel your pain Taken. I've been dealing with Rick at the dealership and to tell you the truth, if I was him, I would have been mad with me by now. :banghead: I've asked him sooooooooo many questions in regards to the trailer that I'm surprised that he still answers my calls. :nonono: I've given them a $500 deposit thus far and I'm getting the 50 amp model with 2 couches, rather than the recliners. I've been looking around at campingworld.com. Are they one of the cheaper companies to purchase RV products from? I'm going to purchase a 10k equilizer hitch and cameras IOT (in order to) assist me with reversing. I've been in contact with a woman that is a full timer and her TT is nowhere near as nice as the 321RES; however, she loves it and enjoys being "off the grid." :rofl: She actually told me that we could take a trip together one day........... I'm not sure how my wife would take that though, lol. :blush:

OAN: Has anyone purchased the GPS made specifically for RV's? I believe
it's the Rand McNally RVND5510 and it retails for approximately $360.00. :blink: If you have bought it, do you think it's worth it? I generally don't pay over $150 for a GPS but if it's worth the buy, I'll pick it up for the RV. Thanks !

taken 08-11-2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canman84 (Post 927799)
LMBO, sorry for laughing but I feel your pain Taken. I've been dealing with Rick at the dealership and to tell you the truth, if I was him, I would have been mad with me by now. :banghead: I've asked him sooooooooo many questions in regards to the trailer that I'm surprised that he still answers my calls. :nonono: I've given them a $500 deposit thus far and I'm getting the 50 amp model with 2 couches, rather than the recliners. I've been looking around at campingworld.com. Are they one of the cheaper companies to purchase RV products from? I'm going to purchase a 10k equilizer hitch and cameras IOT (in order to) assist me with reversing. I've been in contact with a woman that is a full timer and her TT is nowhere near as nice as the 321RES; however, she loves it and enjoys being "off the grid." :rofl: She actually told me that we could take a trip together one day........... I'm not sure how my wife would take that though, lol. :blush:

OAN: Has anyone purchased the GPS made specifically for RV's? I believe
it's the Rand McNally RVND5510 and it retails for approximately $360.00. :blink: If you have bought it, do you think it's worth it? I generally don't pay over $150 for a GPS but if it's worth the buy, I'll pick it up for the RV. Thanks !

The shower heats up very fast as it's right in front of the hot water tank. No worries there. Do not get a 10K Equalizer. That's what Pete's told me I needed and again it was bad advice from them My tongue weighs in at 1300 lbs. Get the 12k system. All your outside storage is up front, you have that huge closet up front, and there is a lot of storage under the bed up front. That tongue gets heavy in a hurry. The best place to buy an Equalizer is RV Wholesalers. You can get a 12k for $459 shipped from them. Here's a link. Equal-i-zer Hitch 1200/12000lbs Trailer Weight - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts I use a regular Garmin GPS for rving. I have a vehicle specific one for my boat, but see no special requirements for a RV. Good choice on the two couches. That's the route I went. All the units are 50 amp so be sure they aren't charging you for that. I too wish I could have gotten a booth rather than the dinette and chairs. Keystone told me it wouldn't fit. Truth is, the dinette doesn't fit either as most of us on here have it rubbing the counter top taking off the finish when the slide is closed. My dealer is addressing this now while it's in for the axle swap. As for full timing, I'm sure it can be done. Just remember what I said. Lots will break as everything in the trailer is CHEAP and won't hold up long under full time use. It's not even cheap household grade. It's below that. The carpet is paper thin, the doors and like cardboard with wood grain painted on, and the plumbing fixtures are VERY cheap. Also look into getting your mattress replaced before delivery. Ours lasted 4 nights before caving in in the middle. I can't imagine full time use! My best advice to you is to go back and read this entire thread and make a list of all the issues people have had with this model. Then check EVERY one during your PDI. Many issues seem to be less than random with multiple units affected. Let us know how you make out! :D

iluvcamping 08-13-2011 06:28 PM

Just a note about the booth....we saw a 321RES at the dealer we purchased ours from (Walnut Ridge) in New Castle, IN. We sat in it and believe me....you wouldn't want it. It was very tight and we're not large folks. We wanted the booth because of grandkids we take with us every so often. I guess you could sleep a little 5-6 year old but that's about it. Our dealer said they quit making our floor plan with a booth so it wasn't even an option to us ordering our new one...the dealer just happened to have ordered it before Keystone stopped making it an option. We still haven't taken ours to have the mattress checked or to have the toilet fixed (doesn't hold water after flush) and the outside black water fixture needs to be addressed.
TAKEN...I think it was you that mentioned yours was leaking on the inside of that fixture...we'll have to check that out. Where did you notice the inside leak...or how did you notice it???We're going out with it for the 2nd time the end of this month just to check for any other issues that might need to be addressed so we can get it all fixed at the same time.

taken 08-13-2011 06:36 PM

It was leaking like crazy on the outside but my wife could see water going across the bottom of the tank. Then all of a sudden, the water stopped moving in the tank and she yelled out to me to STOP as the underneath of the bathroom sink had water flooding out of the floor into the bathroom. Fun.

Jimmie2 08-16-2011 07:29 PM

l will be leaving in the morning from Melbourne, FL driving to Cincinnati, OH to pick up my new 321RES! Also, our camping buddies will be going with me to pick their new 321RES as well. We can't wait!!! I would like to thank everyone on this thread for the heads up on the known issues of this trailer. My friend has made a list of the known problems and we have forwarded it to the dealer - Colerain RV (aka wholesalervclub.com) - in Ohio that these will be some of things that we will be looking specifically at for problems. I'm hoping that these issues have been addressed before we arrive on Thursday. I'll let you know!

Jimmie

ScoobySue 08-17-2011 09:59 AM

Good Luck Jimmie!!! Let us know how it goes... You will not be disappointed. Yes, there are kinks to work out BUT that's anything in life. Enjoy!!!

ScoobySue 08-17-2011 10:03 AM

Canman -- Do your research with the Delivery Fee. Pete's wanted to charge me around $1,500 to deliver to my house. I thought that was VERY high so I put an ad on uship.com and got lots and lots of lower offers. I showed my salesman the lower offers and surprise, surprise, the transport fee came down to about half of what he quoted me. My boyfriend says I'm the ultimate hussler BUT it's my money and I'm NOT just going to give it away. Everything is negotiable!!!! :-)

taken 08-17-2011 10:21 AM

That's the way it is with everything with Pete's. They throw out large numbers on everything but the unit hoping you are so wowed by their sale price that you don't question anything else. They're hoping you think that if their price on the unit is low, then the accessories, delivery, etc. must be too and never check. Sue, you aren't the hustler. They are...........

canman84 08-19-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobySue (Post 933024)
Canman -- Do your research with the Delivery Fee. Pete's wanted to charge me around $1,500 to deliver to my house. I thought that was VERY high so I put an ad on uship.com and got lots and lots of lower offers. I showed my salesman the lower offers and surprise, surprise, the transport fee came down to about half of what he quoted me. My boyfriend says I'm the ultimate hussler BUT it's my money and I'm NOT just going to give it away. Everything is negotiable!!!! :-)

Thanks, I'll check out that site and see what I can dig up. :thumb: They are quoting me over $1k as well so hopefully they will be receptive.

Jimmie2 08-19-2011 07:16 PM

Well....We've have picked up our 321RES' and are very happy with our decisions!!! We arrived at Colerain RV an hour early and they were very accommodating as we were PDI'ing 2 321's. We went through mine first and checked everything out and then checked out my friends 321. A couple of minor things to take care of but nothing major......so far :cool:. We checked some of the things that were mentioned here and they were like..."how did you know to check that"...(ie, black tank flush) - read that on-line! We are currently camped out at a KOA in Codele, GA checking things out....so far so good. Can't wait to take the Cougar on an official "shake-down" trip in a couple of weeks to Sanibel Island near Ft. Myers, FL over the Labor Day weekend. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Jimmie2 08-20-2011 06:46 PM

Made it back to Melbourne, FL this afternoon around 2:00pm and got the 321RES to its new home successfully! The DW loved it!!! She had to work and could not go with me to Cincinnati to pick up the trailer :sad: Tomorrow I start loading her up with all of our "stuff" to get ready for our Sanibel Island trip in 2 weeks.

Jimmie2 08-20-2011 07:00 PM

Oh and I already put a scratch in it!!! I had to pull a tight u-turn in some gas station and didn't notice it until the next day while hooking up to leave the KOA we were at. What a bummer...but now it has its first scratch. I think I can fix it though - didn't crack the fiberglass so that was good.

iluvcamping 08-20-2011 08:34 PM

Jimmie2.....CONGRATULATIONS on your new trailer. Let us know how your trip goes.
We also had a scratch on each corner from making sharp jack knife turns. But we have a bed cover that is about 4 inches high which doesn't help.
Keep an eye on your mattress...ours sags. And also when your table is in against the sink cabinet you might want to put a towel on the edge to keep it from bumping as you go down the road. We have a spot about the size of a nickel. I touched it up but now we just keep a towel in place.
We've also noticed a leak when it rains on the right side outside compartment door. Guess it just needs some better weather strip put on it....one more thing to get fixed when we take it in for the other items that need attention.
Now we're having trouble with the Huskey Centerline hitch that was suppose to keep us from trailer sway...not!! One more thing to get checked. But....we love our trailer.
Good luck and have fun!

Jimmie2 08-21-2011 03:54 AM

Yea I made the PDI guy give me a towel for the table so it wouldn't get scratched - worked out well for our 1,000 mile trip home. I have some heavy duty foam at work somewhere that I think I will make something for that spot. Will do on the mattress. Was pretty comfortable the first night without any mattress pad, so I figured it should be really comfortable with all of the wife's padding she puts on the bed. Thanks for all the tips!

taken 08-21-2011 10:12 AM

Instead of playing with towels or foam, just have your dealer move your table an inch closer to the window like it should be. Why put a bandaid on a brand new RV? ilc, I don't have any experience with the Husky hitches, but it's probably one of two things. Hopefully, it' just out of adjustment. However it may be an inferior design. I remember recommending you go with an Equalizer or a Reese Straight Line. It's a lot of trailer to keep straight. Hope everyone gets their units up to snuff. Ours has been in for two weeks now for the axle swap and the laundry list of items that are broken or out of adjustment. Not camping til labor day so we should be safe....