iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Keystone (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f272/)
-   -   Cougar 321 RES (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f272/cougar-321-res-89806.html)

taken 11-17-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgrant09 (Post 1011069)
Our trailer is a 2012 (titled) model was delivered to the dealer in mid May 2011 and to us in early June here in Alaska. The cable strands were completely broken with only 4 or 5 strands left on the 1st cable. The second now has only 4 or 5 frayed strands. Both events were on the lower aft kitchen slide cable, with the kitchen slide extended, exterior side.
I have to agree about this discussion and the excellent transfer of information - I have found several faults because of the members here and we send our Thanks! It would be nice if we were closer than Alaska - having the opportunity to meet folks - and use our camper longer! :thumb:
Thanks again,
Dan

And on the flip side Dan, we would love to drag our 321 to AK for some camping. If only we were rich and retired... ;) For now, we remain on the other side of the world...

pkemmerlin 11-21-2011 11:48 AM

Camping World just called and our unit as hit the lot. I will being doing my walk through on Friday.

ScoobySue 11-21-2011 02:48 PM

I'm totally frustrated with my 321 at this point. The carpet near the bedroom and main slides are completely soaked. It happens EVERYTIME it rains. No matter how hard or little it rains, the carpet is soaked. I asked my local dealer about this and he suggested getting the slide topper awnings put on at about $500 each. I really think the camper should NOT leak. Does anyone else have this problem?

taken 11-21-2011 02:52 PM

No leaks here, but I would get it warrantied asap. Slide toppers are not the answer...

ScoobySue 11-21-2011 03:21 PM

Taken--What do you think the problem could be? There is no way the carpets should be soaked like this each and every time it rains. This is ridicilous!!!

taken 11-21-2011 04:10 PM

Well, I'm guessing it's not going to be coming from the top which is why I suggested the slide toppers wouldn't work. Of course, a trailer shouldn't need an umbrella anyways. LOL. Anyways, one thing I know about leaks from being a contractor is that the souce is never where it you would think it was. It usually comes in somewhere and follows the path of least resistance. On a house, if your ceiling is stained, the leak is usually feet if not yards away. As for your trailer, I really don't know. I'd make it the dealers problem as you are still within your 1 year warranty.

JimEli 11-21-2011 08:18 PM

Our 321 has seen some good rain storms and does has leak. However, using a 6' step ladder I inspect the slide rubber at almost every stop. I have noticed the rubber seals rarely deploy correctly. They're usually half-in/half-out, or in when they should be out, etc. I can easily correct this from the ladder, but I can't say this prevents leaks. The ladder is also handy for removing the typical accumulation of leaves/pine-needles prior to retracting the slides.

However, I find it hard to believe your leak(s) is a slide issue.

taken 11-21-2011 08:38 PM

Jim, why wouldn't you just use the ladder on the back of the trailer?

TURTLE-1 11-22-2011 03:43 AM

We picked up our 321 in August brought it home and left the slides open one evening. That night it rained pretty hard. Next morning my wife found that the dining room side was soaked. I noticed that the rubber seal was laying corrrectly and no leaves or pine neetles anywhere. I took the RV to the local dealer and they water tested and were unable to find any leak. They said, however, keep all leaves, branches, anything of the slide roof. The warranty will not work if they find even one leaf near the slide. Been camping a few times and hasn't rained. Next outing is Christmas time...will let you know what happens if it rains.

Jimmie2 11-22-2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TURTLE-1 (Post 1014800)
Next outing is Christmas time...will let you know what happens if it rains.

It better NOT!

iluvcamping 11-22-2011 06:51 AM

We don't have leaks that we've been able to tell and we've been in it during a few downpours. The rubber on the front side of the kitchen slide doesn't come out right from about the middle to the top so we just use a wood yard stick to help it out a little...no big deal. Just have to make sure it's done. When we had ours in for some warranty work we had the dealer check all of the caulking on the roof to make sure no place was missed at the factory. ...No problems there...supposedly.
We're still not happy with our Huskey Centerline hitch. Doesn't control the 'sway' issue like we thought it would. It's not bad...just not good enough.
Such good info here...thanks everyone!

JimEli 11-22-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taken (Post 1014663)
Jim, why wouldn't you just use the ladder on the back of the trailer?

I'm not a big fan of walking on the roof, and I can't reach everywhere from the roof. The ladder is useful for reaching high up on the sides.

taken 11-22-2011 07:59 AM

Our rubber seals are often half in and half out and we seem to hit a patch of driving rain on every trip this past year. Never a drop gets in and I never bother playing with the seals to get them all one way. I don't think that is the issue. Also, that's amazing about the dealer telling you one leaf or pine needle voids the warranty. That is seriously a dealer to stay away from. When I hear sleazy things like that on the internet, I am always amazed that places like that can stay in business. ILC, as to your hitch. As I've told you, our Equalizer E4 works beautifully. However, JimEli doesn't use any sway control at all, only WD and hasn't had a problem. I would bet if your hitch is giving you that much grief, and it has sway control built in, it is not set up correctly. On my last trailer, I had a Reese Straightline WD/Sway control hitch. If it wasn't setup EXACTLY right, not only would it not control sway... it would induce it! I'm talking about the smallest adjustment here too. So, I would really have your hitch checked out at another dealer. Pay them for a half hour of their time. It will verify if you are set up right and if you indeed are, it might be time for a hitch upgrade. Sway can get out of control and it's just not worth it to stick with something that isn't working. Even if that means taking a loss. Plus, it's your piece of mind. A big part of the camping experience for me is towing to our destination. I love pulling our trailer. Feeling uneasy doing so would really take something away from the experience for me....

JimEli 11-22-2011 07:59 AM

For those fighting swaying issues, read this:
https://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks....s_complete.pdf

And play with this:
https://www.towingstabilitystudies.co...udies-game.php

I hope it helps and good luck.