iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   What's the hardest (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/whats-the-hardest-90163.html)

rlawson 04-23-2011 06:40 PM

What's the hardest

As a new owner of a 1999 Fleetwood Southwind -M-36 (and new to Motorhomes), What's the hardest adjustment to make?

Wizard 04-23-2011 06:47 PM

Not having as much money in the check book because now you just gotta go somewhere.
:dance::dance:

John H... 04-23-2011 07:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. Getting used to the feel of the extra width. Keep it between the lines.

Rick Long 04-23-2011 07:35 PM

Checking EVERYTHING before you move the RV and a really biggie is TAIL SWING... You can take out gas pumps, light poles, cars and anything else in the way of that tail as it swings out there while making a turn.. even a simple twist of the wheel will wag that tail five feet or more to each side. Just think of yourself as an Alligator or if you prefer, Dinosaur with a big looooong tail. :eek:

rlawson 04-24-2011 08:03 AM

I never thought of that, thanks for the heads up!

rvjimmy 04-24-2011 08:19 AM

Don't forget to thump your tires

DRosedale 04-30-2011 07:19 PM

Don't forget the wind. When driving in a high crosswind the MH can feel like a big sail. Slow down and take your time and it will be OK.

rgvtexan 05-01-2011 12:29 AM

To get the BIG Grin off your face!
Welcome to the RV World.

Grimesy 05-01-2011 02:20 AM

Realize that people do not want to drive behind you so will pass and then cut you off as they pull back in. Longer to stop and most of all not to forget your sense of humor when you start off.

Don

njs42 05-01-2011 04:35 AM

Adopt a routine for set up and take down and stick to it, pick a spot on your dash which when lined up with the white line on the road will tell you the position of your rig relative to the center line and the curb line, when looking for a place to fill up with gas before you pull in make sure you see how you are going to pull out, if you have a rear camera and a speaker there is a reason it only communicates one way (do what you are told)-----finally if your wife is spotting for you---hand signals only-- no fingers. Have a great time---we do!!!

RVNeophytes2 05-01-2011 04:58 AM

Thumping?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvjimmy (Post 838798)
Don't forget to thump your tires

I remember seeing truckers do thing, in the old days. Are you just checking for inflation?

Not looking to hijack the thread but to contribute: wifey caught the edge of a street sign, will say that remembering to square your turns in confined spaces and account for the toad's track on the inside of turns is the hardest.:whistling:

Oh. njs42 gives a great summary above. Ditto, man.

rlawson 05-01-2011 08:42 AM

Found that out on our trip home. Slowed WAY down and it made a big difference. As the guy said, 'I'd rather get their late than not at all!"

HD4Mark 05-01-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 (Post 844214)

I remember seeing truckers do thing, in the old days. Are you just checking for inflation?

From what I understand the thump noise will tell you if a tire is really under inflated. Won't tell if it is 10lbs off but if dangerously low the thud will be dull. Of course a tire gauge would be a better tool for this. The little bats work on the noggins of anyone that bothers you too:laugh:

Going around corners is another one that is tough to get used to. Big rigs don't get around like a car and can take out signs and stuff. With the wheel cut on ours you need to lead out into the intersection until the seat of your pants is about even with the corner. There is a great set of videos online about that, mirrors and back up cameras that I can not seem to locate. Perhaps another forum member has it bookmarked and can share it with us.

Go Dawgs 05-01-2011 09:16 AM

This is a biggy. Remember your DW :whistling:will want to take everything in the house because you might use it once. :banghead:. Hopefully you can let her know that they won't be lonely while you are gone:cool:. Have fun, take your time, relax and have a cold one when you arrive :dance:.

It's all about the adventure.