Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Replacing Alliance Fuel Water Seperator, with Cummins Fleetguard Fuel Water Separator

Friends, I replaced the original type of Fuel Water separator that was standard on the Freightliner /Cummings chassis-Engine used on most Tiffin
Motor Homes with the ISC - 8.3L engines.

The Yellow ALLIANCE fuel/water separator has a short electrical sensor cable that is a part of the fuel/water seperator, and unplugs from the freightliner/Cummings engine cable that senses water in fuel and alarms on dashboard.

So, you would think that purchasing new Cummings brand of fuel filters, and fuel/water separators, would be compatible with this sensor cable -" NOT SO "

So, my question is, has any of you who read this experienced this issue.
Do you have a simple part number for a short converter pigtail that is comparable with the electrical male 2 pin connector on the FLEETGUARD FS-1065 Fuel/water separator.???
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2021, 11:39 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok here is my two cents worth. These manufacturers change the fuel filter designation/requirements regularly even though the filters are basically the "same" thing. As a for instance, we had a 2007 Allegro Bus with the cummins 8.9l ISL engine in it. We now have a 2010 Allegro Bus with the 8.9 ISL9 engine in it. The engine is the same size but it uses different fuel filters. That said, I can use filters from different manufacturers so long as they cross reference to the original numbers that connector on the bottom should connect right up.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #3

"That said, I can use filters from different manufacturers so long as they cross reference to the original numbers that connector on the bottom should connect right up."

AND (kind of an important AND) they are the correct micron rating.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #4

I encountered the "pigtail" when I purchased a backup bottom piece and sensor for my previous coach. You should be able to get it from any FL parts dept. I will look at mine and see if I can find a part number.

The only numbers on the sensor end of the pigtail are 1439 and 4B20M. The connector on the harness end says Delphi PA66 which I think is the connector number.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
"That said, I can use filters from different manufacturers so long as they cross reference to the original numbers that connector on the bottom should connect right up."

AND (kind of an important AND) they are the correct micron rating.
I have been told that there are manufacturer recommended replacement filters. What that means is that if your engine is a Cummins, the factory filters would be fleetguard. There are other filters that are Cummins approved that can be used. Using that cross reference, the connector should fit without having to use the adapter.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipkts2010 View Post
I have been told that there are manufacturer recommended replacement filters. What that means is that if your engine is a Cummins, the factory filters would be fleetguard. There are other filters that are Cummins approved that can be used. Using that cross reference, the connector should fit without having to use the adapter.

Agree.

But many filters by all the filter manufacturers that WILL fit a specific filter head (no adapter) may be very different micron filters.

So, both fit and micron rating are important.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
connector should fit without having to use the adapter
My memory may be a bit fuzzy, but I think that the issue is that they changed the size of the connector on the water sensor. Thus the need for the pigtail on older coaches. This won't be an issue if you are not changing the sensor in the plastic cap or using a filter with an integral sensor.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
You are correct, but.

The Cummings Fleetguard FS-1065 fuel water separator comes with an inherent built in sensor, and it has a different physical size/shape.

I think Cummings sells a connector for $108. I think I will just use Alliance Filters from now on. This sounds like Cummings shooting themselves in the foot, why not have a comparable connector so the filter will work.??
America 2021

Thank you Ernieh
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #9

FWIW, Fleetguard also makes a direct replacement for the Alliance filter. I had several of them left over when I got my 2019 which uses a different filter. I traded them to
Bay Diesel for credit toward work they did.

Tags
alliance, fuel, water