Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Alliance Paradigm 310RL Rear Bumper Weight Capacity

The hitch receiver on the rear bumper of our Alliance Paradigm 310RL has a weight limit of 300 pounds. However, it has a towing weight limit of 3000 lbs.

Question I have is, can you mount a rear bumper, foldable, cargo carrier directly to the bumper itself and still have the 300 lbs weight capacity the receiver provides? Or, do you have to use the cargo carrier receiver to mount the carrier to the RV bumper? We have no intention of ever towing a trailer, etc from the bumper of the RV. The cargo carrier I want to use weighs roughly 65 lbs by itself. I would think mounting it to the bumper would make it sturdier and not bounce as much as a hitch mounted one could potentially do.

We need to carry a portable generator with us. In about a month we are going on a week-long boondocking trip and due to disk issues in my back from the military I cannot lift the generator in/out the bed of my F350. The generator weighs roughly 98 lbs.

BTW, I asked on the Alliance Owners website and could not get an answer from anyone. Need to get the hitch ordered and installed before the trip and do not want to wait until the last minute to do so.

Thanks.
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2022, 05:12 PM   #2

I removed the truck bed tool box that weighed maybe 150-200 lbs with stuff in it to reduce rear axle weight of the truck.
Then I mounted that box to the rear of the Alliance trailer. Most of the weight is carried by the hitch but I also installed brackets from the left and right side of the box to the square tube under the trailer rear end (I guess that is what you call the bumper) to avoid wiggling.
I can take some pics if you want.

FWIW, I welded the hitch extension and the side brackets myself. Did not really see something out of the box that fits.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:43 AM   #3

Get help loading the genny into the bed and run it from there if a tonneau can hide it when not in use.
Hanging it off the RV may become bait depending on where you are boondocking if you leave for the day.
Old 04-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #4
Community Moderator

We had a guy who had his generator chained to the rear rack like you are planning in a campground in Goodyear, Az. The thieves came in one morning around 6 am, cut the cable, lifted the generator right off the back rack. The guy was inside his rig drinking coffee and heard them, ended up trying to chase them in his pickup. But they got away. Two days later the Goodyear police found them at a pawn shop trying to pawn items they stole.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #5

Like it was said above, I keep mine under a tonneau cover in the bed of my truck. I'm a single female RVer and cannot lift my Champion 2500W generator by myself. It rides at the very back of my truck bed and fits well beneath the cover or the fifth wheel when I'm towing. If I boondock, I unhitch and position the truck so that it's on the driver side (off door side) of the fifth wheel, and just plug in my shore cord to the generator in the truck bed. It's worked great for me. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2022, 02:55 PM   #6

Coastal Campers
Thanks for all the options. I'll figure it out soon. Likely will just keep it in the truck bed. I'm going to run it strictly off Propane so it should be OK that way. Really wanted it in back but too expensive to have someone just walk off with it. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #7

I'll bet that a 300 lb load on your rear bumper means 500 lb off the hitch load! been there done that until one day the rear end hit a high spot and almost tore off the bumper - it was definitely lower in the rear. I vote against hanging anything near the allowable load on the bumper, and load in forward somewhere. I can lift my portable gen (50 lb) from the forward storage area, but just when you need it you may have problems running it. I am not sure where a 2500 watts gen would fit in the bed of my F350 and run it in that same place safely and securely.
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:36 AM   #8

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletesingler View Post
I'll bet that a 300 lb load on your rear bumper means 500 lb off the hitch load! been there done that until one day the rear end hit a high spot and almost tore off the bumper - it was definitely lower in the rear. I vote against hanging anything near the allowable load on the bumper, and load in forward somewhere. I can lift my portable gen (50 lb) from the forward storage area, but just when you need it you may have problems running it. I am not sure where a 2500 watts gen would fit in the bed of my F350 and run it in that same place safely and securely.
The 300 lbs is the weight limit of the rear hitch itself as it is attached to the "bumper". The 3K is towing capacity. There is no info I can find regarding weight capacity of the "bumper" itself. It's all good though. I may end up not putting the generator back there anyway. Thanks anyway.

Here's a link to the generator itself. https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...IaAoELEALw_wcB It fits ok in the bed of my SWB F-350 between the fifth wheel and the cab. Not sure what I am going to do to be honest.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:45 AM   #9

I have also thought about putting a generator in my 310RL but am concerned about the amount of up and down motion it’s going to have. Having a bike rack seems ok, but 150lbs or more of generator and carrier seems like a recipe for issues.

Tags
alliance, paradigm, rear, weight