Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2022, 04:02 PM   #1

Alliance Paradigm 295mk or GD Solitude 280RK ?

Folks,

Neither manufacturer has a forum on this board ..but I have asked questions on their own boards.

Looks like we are moving from our AF to one of these two.. Both meet or exceed all our requirements. Solitude has only been around since '22.. not sure about the Paradigm.

The dealer network seems to be larger with the Solitude but we really know nada about either but will avoid those rigs built during covid.

We like to buy at end of 3 years so the Solitude purchase will have to be new.

Thoughts ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #2

Based on my experience with my Alliance Paradigm 390MP, I would certainly recommend the Alliance. Great company, stands behind their products, and communicates. All improvements over what I have been getting from Forest River and from what I have read about Grand Design lately.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #3

Thanks Darrell,

It has the best litch / living room layout.

How long have you owned it and do you do long haul.?

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
Based on my experience with my Alliance Paradigm 390MP, I would certainly recommend the Alliance. Great company, stands behind their products, and communicates. All improvements over what I have been getting from Forest River and from what I have read about Grand Design lately.
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Thanks Darrell,

It has the best litch / living room layout.

How long have you owned it and do you do long haul.?

Ian.
Now that I reread my posting, I was not clear. I do not have the 390MP any more. We traded that in for a Riverstone. I wish we kept the 390MP. We took it as far as about 16 hours or so. No issues pulling it at all. We did have a mishap where the spare tire came off while driving, but Alliance replaced it with no issues. Never could really figure out why it came off. It was a good unit and I was able to fix all of the minor stuff myself. Alliance shipped parts and I installed. Easy stuff.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #5

Appreciate the response. They support their rig..i like that.

thanks

Quote:
Now that I reread my posting, I was not clear. I do not have the 390MP any more. We traded that in for a Riverstone. I wish we kept the 390MP. We took it as far as about 16 hours or so. No issues pulling it at all. We did have a mishap where the spare tire came off while driving, but Alliance replaced it with no issues. Never could really figure out why it came off. It was a good unit and I was able to fix all of the minor stuff myself. Alliance shipped parts and I installed. Easy stuff.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club
I’ve had 2 GD fifth wheels , our current 310 for almost 5 years. It’s been pretty trouble free. I looked pretty hard at a Paradigm a couple of years ago at an RV show , but have no experience with them. That being said ,from what I have read and seen your AF is better built than either one.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #7

It is what we are concerned about. If Northwood wasnt stuck in last century. . a big no to resendential fridges..we would buy a 27 5t.. and even then, i would have to renovate it.

Sigh.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
I’ve had 2 GD fifth wheels , our current 310 for almost 5 years. It’s been pretty trouble free. I looked pretty hard at a Paradigm a couple of years ago at an RV show , but have no experience with them. That being said ,from what I have read and seen your AF is better built than either one.
Charlie
Old 12-20-2022, 08:24 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
It is what we are concerned about. If Northwood wasnt stuck in last century. . a big no to resendential fridges..we would buy a 27 5t.. and even then, i would have to renovate it.

Sigh.

Thanks
kind of have to agree that Northwood does seem to be stuck in the last century; it is what drove us away from them when we opted for the 310GK-R about 5 years ago. We have no complaints with the GD.

It's a crap shoot with most manufacturers when it comes to what breaks, what works, the kind of support from them, etc. Probably the biggest thing is picking a good dealer.

Given the good feedback from both Paradigm and GD I think you should just bet the floor plan you like and use the decor as a tie breaker if needed.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:17 AM   #9

thanks..we are coming to that conclusion too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
kind of have to agree that Northwood does seem to be stuck in the last century; it is what drove us away from them when we opted for the 310GK-R about 5 years ago. We have no complaints with the GD.

It's a crap shoot with most manufacturers when it comes to what breaks, what works, the kind of support from them, etc. Probably the biggest thing is picking a good dealer.

Given the good feedback from both Paradigm and GD I think you should just bet the floor plan you like and use the decor as a tie breaker if needed.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #10
Community Moderator

First let me throw this out there for thoughts. A general warranty is 1 year on the rig, appliances have their own warranty after the initial 1 year from the manufacturer. Some manufacturers, most now I think, have a 3-year structure warranty for some issues.
Dealers are an important part of the decision, but after the first year, are they still in the warranty question?
When you buy a new rig, and you are on the road, traveling or full time, and away from the original dealer, the 1 year, may not do anything for you. Some dealers will not work on a rig, for warranty, if you did not buy there.

My experiences, find the rig you like, get it. If you need warranty work and you are from the original dealer, contact the manufacturer and see if they will
pre-authorize a mobile tech to come to you to do repairs.
Our manufacturer did this for us when we were only 75 miles from the dealership, we bought the rig, for a leaking water heater.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Some dealers will not work on a rig, for warranty, if you did not buy there.
I wish manufacturers would do more to curb this behavior. Warranty work pays the same, whether for purchases made at that dealer or another. It eventually gives a bit of a black eye to the manufacturers when customers cannot get their warranty service. Imagine if car dealers had this same thing. The manufacturers are not receptive to this gatekeeping.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:59 PM   #12

Since we do long haul..this mskrs sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
First let me throw this out there for thoughts. A general warranty is 1 year on the rig, appliances have their own warranty after the initial 1 year from the manufacturer. Some manufacturers, most now I think, have a 3-year structure warranty for some issues.
Dealers are an important part of the decision, but after the first year, are they still in the warranty question?
When you buy a new rig, and you are on the road, traveling or full time, and away from the original dealer, the 1 year, may not do anything for you. Some dealers will not work on a rig, for warranty, if you did not buy there.

My experiences, find the rig you like, get it. If you need warranty work and you are from the original dealer, contact the manufacturer and see if they will
pre-authorize a mobile tech to come to you to do repairs.
Our manufacturer did this for us when we were only 75 miles from the dealership, we bought the rig, for a leaking water heater.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:02 PM   #13

car and rv dealerships are two different animals. Ine of their biggest issues is being paid for warranty work..

now, they just seem to be overworked and understaffed..

Quote:
I wish manufacturers would do more to curb this behavior. Warranty work pays the same, whether for purchases made at that dealer or another. It eventually gives a bit of a black eye to the manufacturers when customers cannot get their warranty service. Imagine if car dealers had this same thing. The manufacturers are not receptive to this gatekeeping.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
car and rv dealerships are two different animals. Ine of their biggest issues is being paid for warranty work..

now, they just seem to be overworked and understaffed..
They are because the manufacturers allow them to be. Otherwise, how are they different? If the unit is under warranty, and the shop sells that manufacturer, there should be no issue with the shop getting paid by the manufacturer. The manufacturer should be able to lean on the shop a little to ensure they are taking care of existing owners, and use their agreement to strengthen that. They don't have to be different animals, they just keep getting away with it.

Tags
alliance, paradigm, solitude