Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRUCK CONVERSIONS, MDT's & HDT's FORUMS > Bus Conversions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Newell - Single Combined Grey/Black Tank?

It's always interesting when one manufacturer does something different, clearly weighing risk vs rewards.

Newell apparently only offers combination waste/grey water tanks (sometimes with a grey water bypass switch). I would think that offers more flexibility (don't have to worry black vs grey capacities), but apparently it's a requirement of RVIA.

Do any of you have issues either way with a combined tank? Thoughts?
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

I would not want one.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #3

What is the difference...waste water is waste water.
Grey water can have food particles, grease-oils, skin cells, scum and even urine.

Vapor barriers stop odors from either tank coming back into rig (grey can REALLY Stink!!)

RVs of yesterdays only had one waste tank.

I added an extra valve on the common drain header and can link all three of my waste tanks together.
Great for extended boondocking
Just dump and rinse after dumping.

Besides.......
Residential drains (sinks/showers/toilets) all go into same drain system and nobody even thinks about it/questions it.

RVrs just 'hold' waste before dumping into same system

It's all waste water.

Apparently Newell at $1.9 million thinks so too
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some of the Prevost conversions use a single waste tank.
189 Gal
Old 04-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

Liberty and the defunct Legendary utilize the One Tank method. I must say to learn Newell does this is surprising.
I would never own a coach that utilized a one tank system. Eventually one would realize this system would be a hindrance instead of a benefit. It is not a modern method for storage.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #6

[QUOTE=phranc;3305726]Some of the Prevost conversions use a single waste tank.

The only PREVOST converter still in business that utilizes the one tank system is Liberty.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #7

Foretravel has used one holding tanks for at least 10 years. Not too many places left where your can dump gray water on the ground anymore, but Newell has the right idea with the bypass, had a 95 that had a single tank with a bypass.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #8

Our Custom Coach conversion uses a single waste tank, and after a few years I find it to be easier and to cause no problems. Unless you camp on private property, it's difficult to find sites that allow gray water to be dumped to the ground so I'm not really sure what the advantage to separate tanks is.

The waste stays liquid, so no possibility of build up in the black tank, and dumping the tank is always easy even though we only have a 2" outlet.

Every dump site we've been to has a water source, so rinsing the dump hose has never been a problem. We've never had to worry about black vs. gray capacity. Our waste tank and fresh water tank are the same size, so overfilling the waste tank is not possible as long as we're running from the tanks.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #9

Makes sense to me.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMouser View Post
Liberty and the defunct Legendary utilize the One Tank method. I must say to learn Newell does this is surprising.
I would never own a coach that utilized a one tank system. Eventually one would realize this system would be a hindrance instead of a benefit. It is not a modern method for storage.
I'm curious as to what you believe the future hindrance to be. Care to elaborate?
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a good idea to me.

My grey tank needs dumping 2x or 3x more often than my black tank (showers, clothes washer, dishwasher, etc.)

I was considering adding a manual vale to transfer some grey water into the blank tank so I don't need to dump as often.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we first bought our coach I wondered why there were two tanks since they both get dumped to the same place....I soon realized that there were other things I needed to concentrate on and never gave it another thought . For me, I would prefer one big tank with one tank monitor and one dump valve.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #13

NO.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The hindrance to me is IF iI forget or the sensor is wrong ,(and you will ). You will have have toilet waste in your shower pan! What's that Smell?
While not the end of the world, it's bad enough with sink water. I have combined my tanks, with a simple add on valve to get a couple more days boondocking but not day to day.No way.
Have C--- and P-- coming up 2-3" out of the shower pan and see what the DW says esp with that 2 am flush! .. just sayin

Tags
black tank, single, tank