Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What does the Solo Node do?

I thought that I needed to install the Solo Node but the Wally seems to work on the Traveler without it. What is it used for?

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #2

The Solo (and Duo) Nodes are used with the original Hopper ("Hopper 1") and the Hopper with Sling ("Hopper 2"), like so: Single Hopper 1 or 2 with 2 Joeys.

The Hopper 3 uses a Solo Hub sometimes like so: Hopper 3 with 2 Joeys.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
The Solo (and Duo) Nodes are used with the original Hopper ("Hopper 1") and the Hopper with Sling ("Hopper 2"), like so: Single Hopper 1 or 2 with 2 Joeys.

The Hopper 3 uses a Solo Hub sometimes like so: Hopper 3 with 2 Joeys.
I got that earlier from looking at the diagrams but WHAT DOES IT DO? Obviously it must be doing some kind of mixing of signals so two LNB's are on the same coax but this does not make sense to me because the outputs on the Traveler are already mixed. I think there is some kind of tuning going on in some receivers by shifting the voltage to change LNB's so a different satellite is received but I don't understand why the Solo Node would even be needed for that. Just curious.

Bob
Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
I got that earlier from looking at the diagrams but WHAT DOES IT DO? Obviously it must be doing some kind of mixing of signals so two LNB's are on the same coax but this does not make sense to me because the outputs on the Traveler are already mixed. I think there is some kind of tuning going on in some receivers by shifting the voltage to change LNB's so a different satellite is received but I don't understand why the Solo Node would even be needed for that. Just curious.

Bob
This stuff is confusing and almost seems like a Rube Goldberg approach to getting a Hopper and one or more Joey's to work. If you look at all the diagrams with combinations of Solo Nodes, Hybrid Solo Nodes, DPH LNBs, and DPP LNB's you will not find the two configurations that are working at my house. Looking at this stuff I have come to the conclusion that the Solo Node allows two way communications on the coax between the Hopper and the Joey without causing interference to the DP LNB's on the dish. Diagrams also seem to indicate that the Hybrid Solo Node does the same thing and is used with a Hybrid LNB. What confuses me is that what the installer did on the house with an Eastern Arc DP LNB, a Hopper Duo, and a Joey does not match what the diagrams say to do. He has only one coax coming from the dish and it goes to the ODU connection on a Hybrid Solo Node. The Hopper Duo and Joey are connected to the Host and Client ports on the Hybrid Solo Node. This works fine and the LNB is not a Hybrid.

On the motorhome we are only using one coax from the Traveler to the Wally and no Solo Nodes and both tuners in the Wally are working. Since the Wally does not support a Joey its obvious that we don't need a Solo Node and both tuners get their signal from the single coax connection.

Bob
Old 11-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Here is a link to the expert's information, IMHO ... RV Senior Momements Web Site Dish TV Pages

> what's a Dish Node used for ...

The Solo and DPH Nodes manage the transfer of programming between a host such as Hopper and a client such as Joey on same Coax that is being used to transfer raw sat signals to the host receivers.

Dish uses a coax signal format called MoCA (Multi-media over Coax Alliance Specification) to move the programming from the host to the client. Nodes enable and support this, while still supporting the signals between hosts and sat dish LNBs.

Dish Pro Hybrid (DPH) generation of LNB and nodes introduced in 2016 extended the single coax signal format used between a host sat receiver and a node all the way to a DPH LNB.

The DPH generation had the benefit that in single host / single client Dish residential installs only a single RG6 coax runs were needed everywhere including to the sat dish, only a DPH Node was required, the Hopper powered everything, and the DPH node could be mounted outdoors and be the earth/utility grounding point for the install.

Hope this helps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
What confuses me is that what the installer did on the house with an Eastern Arc DP LNB, a Hopper Duo, and a Joey does not match what the diagrams say to do. He has only one coax coming from the dish and it goes to the ODU connection on a Hybrid Solo Node. The Hopper Duo and Joey are connected to the Host and Client ports on the Hybrid Solo Node. This works fine and the LNB is not a Hybrid.
Like this?

Yes, DISH networking is complicated, especially to someone new to DISH.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Like this?

Yes, DISH networking is complicated, especially to someone new to DISH.
Thats it. Did not see that diagram at any of the places I looked. Something has changed since the Hopper was introduce because early on the DP Hybrid LNB was required if only one coax was run from the dish. If the LNB was a Plus then two coax runs were required and a Solo Node. Now it appears that a single run of coax with work with either the DPH or DPP LNB and the Solo Node is obsolete and only the Hybrid Solo Node is needed.

Bob
Old 11-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Now it appears that a single run of coax with work with either the DPH or DPP LNB and the Solo Node is obsolete and only the Hybrid Solo Node is needed.
It depends.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #9

will this set up work for 2 wally's?
carman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Nodes and Switches allow multiple signals to share the same Coax. Dish "stacks" sat signals and internet data (MoCA) on the same coax. The Nodes and Switches sort that out and send things the right way. As you have found, in some cases it will work with a Dish Switch or Dish Node if all you have is 1 host receiver. You always have to have a switch or node if you have more than 1 host receiver, unless you are using a Dish Playmaker with 2 output ports - then you have a separate cable run from each Dish Playtmaker port to a different receiver.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by carman999 View Post
will this set up work for 2 wally's?
With a Trav'ler and two Wallies, you don't need any kind of node as long as you have two coax from the antenna. I'm running two Wallies directly from the two coax cables from my Trav'ler and they work perfectly.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #12

A "solo node" question to help me diagnose a new problem. I've successfully been using a Travl'r and Hopper 2 (with sling) and a Joey for 6 years. A few days ago I started to get problems receiving a Sat signal where sometimes restarting the hopper I might get a signal, other times not. Even if I had a signal hours earlier and no weather in the area. I'm wondering if my Solo Node has gone bad somehow. With a clear view of the sky, the Travl'r homes in on the 3 stats and shows the asterisk by 110, 119.... The hopper says "Partial signal loss...check for obstructions". The Joey can NOT find the Hopper ... Says Moca link not established. The Hopper will play DVR recordings fine. Joey can not see any recordings. So I was thinking the common point of failure might be the Solo Node?????

Can I run ONE of the Travl'r coax cables directly to the Hopper 2 effectively by passing the Solo Node?? Would that hurt anything? I know it won't allow the Joey to function, but could the Hopper 2 have some limited Sat reception to help me see if the Solo Node has indeed gone south? I thinking the Travl'r is still okay as it appears to find, peak, skew, peak skew, and lock on the Sats eyeballing where the Dish Pointer app says the Sats should be in the sky.

As I mentioned, I don't want to by pass the Solo Node for diagnostic purposes until I know it won't hurt something. Would I need to hook up a specific coax feed from the 3 Sat feeds coming into the A/V cabinet from the Travl'r? Presently, Sat A and B go to the Solo node. Could I just take Sat A feed directly to the Hopper 2 for testing purposes?

Thanks
TXduo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo