Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetskier50 View Post
I rarely travel with anyone, pulling a golf cart trailer to races. You just need to plan things out. I use pull thru truck stops for fuel. And try not to get in any situations where you need to back up with the trailer. Just take your time. It will be ok
Does your golf cart win many of the races?
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #16

This has been an interesting thread. My concern is backing up. I really need a spotter when I back up - I am not good enough with mirrors and the backup camera. Does that mean I cannot RV solo?
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
This has been an interesting thread. My concern is backing up. I really need a spotter when I back up - I am not good enough with mirrors and the backup camera. Does that mean I cannot RV solo?
Nope, it just means you need more practice backing up, or maybe a professional training course. There are videos on Youtube that show some ways to practice in a big parking lot, you might want to look up some of those to see if you can find something there to help you back better.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post

Disadvantages to traveling solo- no one to talk to
You can always talk to furry companions or yourself!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #19

I will contribute this:

While driving and parking my Class A solo, I hit a bbq pit at a National Park. I did the right thing and reported it. They gave me a ticket for "unsafe operations without due care" because I did not have a spotter. I just paid it because I wanted to take care of the damage and figured that was their way of ensuring it was paid.

It won't stop me from going solo and being more careful next time.
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
When I bought my 40' diesel pusher, I tried practicing backing-in-a-curve in a parking lot, but didn't really get the hang of it. Very frustrating; I'd never had the least problem with the 34' model that preceded the 40'.

I contacted one of the outfits that gives RV training and for a few hundred bucks spent an entire day learning not just how to back but to back through S curves around cones and parallel park the rig.

I've never had a spotter or a helper (I find they are more nuisance than help).

Additional cameras can help; on the previous rig I had one camera under the passenger side mirror (great for passing as well as your blind spot) and another set to view the fuel filler, as well as the back-up camera.

Good quality cameras are key; an even slightly fuzzy picture is worthless.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My wife has driven our coach solo pulling a Jeep numerous time going to dog shows all over the eastern USA. One year she put ~12K miles on (I almost poo'd my pants when I did the oil change). If she can do it I'd say pretty much anyone can.
Wish she talk my wife into learning to drive mh Lol Keep it safe!
ncpatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1128 View Post
I've always traveled with someone in the passenger seat, but was wondering about the feasibility of traveling solo....I would appreciate opinions.
I see no problems. Side mirror still work, rear view camera still works - everything you need to safely drive is still there. Consider that over-the-road truckers are almost always solo, and their rigs are a lot longer than ours.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, solo