Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

NW still builds a stronger trailer than any in it's price range, except Outdoor RV. Both build similar units with one offering items the other doesn't.
When I've looked a Silver Fox and ORV there are some big differences.

ORV - nails the basement shut, uses Shwinteck and Reflexite "R15 rated" insulation....

Stay Away from Foil-Faced Bubble Wrap | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

I quote from their "FOUR SEASON" video.
"NOTE TO ALL: House pipes freeze a below zero (must be Celsius) temperatures and these units are not designed for extremes but they are designed to get out into our backyard......."

Someone needs to translate that so a first time buyer knows what it means.....

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #16

ORV and NW both only use Schwintek on the small slides. On the larger slides they use a rack system. Not all models are the same. My fox Mountain has the stronger rack system on a small slide. Go to NW Nash and the small slides are Scwintek. It all varies.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #17

Quote:
ORV and NW both only use Schwintek on the small slides. On the larger slides they use a rack system. Not all models are the same. My fox Mountain has the stronger rack system on a small slide. Go to NW Nash and the small slides are Scwintek. It all varies.
Nash are bumper pull

Comparing 5th wheel to 5th wheel - Silver Fox to ORV

Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've owned both a Northwood and an Outdoors trailer, both great products even though they were short term for us. Good quality on each and very impressed with the Outdoors factory tour. Both built in La Grand, Oregon! When we decided to full time we looked at KZ, Grand Design, Jayco & Vilano. The GD dealer had a Landmark on his lot and we thought they were the best of all those mentioned. We liked the 2-year/full time warranty. 4000 miles over crappy roads across the country and still staying together. Ours is the Newport, 1 1/2-bath model, 3 AC's. All we're lacking is a Generator. Weighs 17,460 of 18k gvwr. 3820 pin weight, pulling it with a '15 f350 dually like a dream!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #19

Lol, our pretty turd is a 2012 Cardinal 3675RT ... did have some bugs at first, but got them taken care of and its doing fine. I do wish I had gone with "full body paint" and the Level Up system, so I will look at that on the next one. I suspect the next issue with this rv will be one of the appliances, AC, fridge, etc., which are the same basic brands found in most of the rv's.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
We've owned both a Northwood and an Outdoors trailer, both great products even though they were short term for us. Good quality on each and very impressed with the Outdoors factory tour. Both built in La Grand, Oregon! When we decided to full time we looked at KZ, Grand Design, Jayco & Vilano. The GD dealer had a Landmark on his lot and we thought they were the best of all those mentioned. We liked the 2-year/full time warranty. 4000 miles over crappy roads across the country and still staying together. Ours is the Newport, 1 1/2-bath model, 3 AC's. All we're lacking is a Generator. Weighs 17,460 of 18k gvwr. 3820 pin weight, pulling it with a '15 f350 dually like a dream!
How big are the I beam rails in the Landmark?

What is the deflection on the pin box.... i.e. how much does the pin box have to be lifted before the landing gear comes off the ground?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Lol, our pretty turd is a 2012 Cardinal 3675RT ... did have some bugs at first, but got them taken care of and its doing fine. I do wish I had gone with "full body paint" and the Level Up system, so I will look at that on the next one. I suspect the next issue with this rv will be one of the appliances, AC, fridge, etc., which are the same basic brands found in most of the rv's.
Same model I have but 2013. If you don't have awnings over your slide outs make sure you check for rot and mold on the inside walls around the slide out seals. I spent over $4000 in repairs on my turd due to faulty seals. Since I was the second owner FR only paid for parts, $900.

Good thing you didn't get full body paint. FR painted mine and I'm guessing all of them after caulking the seams. Now the paint is cracking on the caulking creating a problem. Real smart workmanship! It's pretty though, except for the cracking paint!
918jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
How big are the I beam rails in the Landmark?

What is the deflection on the pin box.... i.e. how much does the pin box have to be lifted before the landing gear comes off the ground?

I think the i beams are 12" but I'll check again. Doesn't seem to deflect much at all that I've noticed, but hadn't thought about it that much either. It does have 8000 lb axles and 17.5" wheels.
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:43 AM   #23

Quote:

NW still builds a stronger trailer than any in it's price range, except Outdoor RV. Both build similar units with one offering items the other doesn't.
What I find from reading several brand forums is that NW and ORV don't seem to have as many of the big problems as the rest. They both produce units that on occasion are sloppily put together. But the overall foundation is better.
Likely because they build their own chassis! Lippert dominates the RV industry and are the major problem.,this is why we now went to ORV. We liked the idea of the Fox Mountain we had ordered, but fell short on a few wants I felt I needed.
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #24

The Fox Mountain model is a low end unit. Well built with the materials they use. The GP line is more upscale with better standard features. Hard to compare the two. I have a FM 235 RLS that we're starting our 5th season camping in. While it doesn't have all the cool colors and features of most 5th wheels it's solid as a rock. We just don't have any issues from year to year. Put it away in the fall, take the cover off in spring and it's the same every year. Everything works like it did when we winterized it.
Both ORV and NW are better brands than most of the stuff out of Elkhart. Look at the build feature and that's where they separate themselves.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #25

Quote:
The Fox Mountain model is a low end unit. Well built with the materials they use. The GP line is more upscale with better standard features. Hard to compare the two. I have a FM 235 RLS that we're starting our 5th season camping in. While it doesn't have all the cool colors and features of most 5th wheels it's solid as a rock. We just don't have any issues from year to year. Put it away in the fall, take the cover off in spring and it's the same every year. Everything works like it did when we winterized it.
Both ORV and NW are better brands than most of the stuff out of Elkhart. Look at the build feature and that's where they separate themselves.
Yes, they say there is no issue with competition between FM ORV NW but it is interesting how each outfits trailers differently to obtain a different segment of the market.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #26

Grand Design must not be that bad. Winnebago paid $500,000,000 last year for the company. They must think they are doing something right to pay that much.
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
They are doing something right. They have a reputation for "not sucking" in terms of service. Remember, the execs of Grand Design were originally from Keystone, which (IMHO) has one of the worse after-the-sale service records in the industry.... They flipped that on it's head.

I generally agree with the OP that these things are made with the same components, mostly the same labor, using the same techniques.. With some exceptions (DRV, etc). If you're going to buy a new one - especially a reasonably-complicated trailer like a 5th wheel and don't want to get crapped on in terms of warranty / service, I don't think you can go wrong with Grand Design.

I've got a Keystone and I'm generally happy with it. Minus the 240 days it's spent in at a "dealer" waiting on warranty repairs that were either done incorrectly, inadequately, or not at all. Partly the dealers fault, but when Keystone pays a FRACTION of what a retail repair actually costs and requires that owners wait in line at an "authorized" dealer, they're just pushing their quality problem to the dealer post-sale side.

Grand Design, time and time again will step up to the plate and fix stuff. Even if they have to dispatch an independent. And they get stuff fixed in reasonable amounts of time....

If I was in the market, GD would be top of the list.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 AM   #28

Funny how every dealer hypes up the brands they sell as being the best built product in the industry! I'm a newb to 5vers and we've been doing a ton of research, honestly, it has scared the crap out of us what we've learned, hence I pulled the plug on a new $65k+ rig. The wife suggested we keep the perfectly good truck we have, get our feet wet first and see if we have any of the issues most have with their rolling residence.. this way, if there is a problem, I would get pi$$ed, unload the trailer and be stuck with the expense of the truck I wouldn't need. So, our initial buy was the FM, canceled that and went with ORV. The reasons for both was their chassis, solely! The FM doesn't have the option or ability for a second AC, critical for me! FM in the 255 has only one slide available, and I like roominess! I personally like the interior colors and materials of the FM over the ORV we are getting and it offers 2 1/2 sides and bout Max's out my trailer weight for my 3/4 ton. Time will tell...
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
momentum