Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #1

Water heater heating element replacement

Need to replace the electric heating element in my 2013 Canyon Star 3920.

Has anyone successfully done this without removing the water heater first? It seems like if I cut away a section of the Styrofoam insulation I may be able to slip it out from the back without cutting the silicone seal between the front of the water heater and the painted body necessary to pull the whole unit out first.
Ken Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know what your installation looks like but I cannot imagine having to remove the entire water heater to replace the heating element. Maybe post some pictures of your installation.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #3

Different brands of W/H s have the element in different ends of the tank , Is your W/H , Attwood or Suburban ?
Old 06-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #4

It's an Atwood. The heating element fits from the back of the unit, assuming you call what you access from the exterior panel the front. I can reach to where it is from the storage compartment beside it but at a minimum I would have to cut out a portion of the Styrofoam to remove the access cover and get to the element.

Was hoping to hear from another owner with the same install to know whether there is enough clearance back there to slip the element out and the new one in. The element appears to be about 3-4" longer than the distance from the back of the heater to the wall. It's a question of how much of an angle it can be turned to and still slide out or into the opening.

Yes, trying to cut through the silicone sealant between the edges of the whole unit and the painted exterior body seems really risky.

Sorry the photo went sideways when I uploaded it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Atwood water heater.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	290284  
Old 06-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #5

I've only done one Atwood element install but that looks like more than enough room to slide the part out. Pretty sure no cutting of the insulation will be required.

Do you have a socket ( 1 1/2" six point 1/2" drive ) the element tool that RV parts places sell is useless .
I bought the socket at AutoZone after breaking the " Tool " $8 if memory serves.

NOTE: even with the tank completely drained , you'll get water into the area when the element comes out .. be ready .
Old 06-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #6

Another note , the water line connectors , have a cone shaped seal , that after years of heat from the water , won't always reseal if you have to remove the lines . The seals are about $0.40 each and a good thing to have in your RV tool box.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #7

A THIRD thought , boy am I not getting it together this morning .

The electric elements ( 120 volt 1440 watts ) are available in different lengths from different manufacturers , some tanks like my Suburban , length isn't an issue . The Camco element I have in my tool box measures 6" overall , I don't have a long one to measure but I'd think 9" , so if your replacement measures over 6" and your worried about installation , maybe look for the short version .
They're available at hardware stores as well as RV parts suppliers. You just need to be sure you get 120 volt model.

AutoZone socket part number , in case you need it ; Duralast 1 1/2 " 1/2" drive. 75-818
Old 06-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #8

That's a great idea. Yes, the OEM replacement is more like 9". Going to take a shot at it tomorrow if it's not raining.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #9

Did the swap out yesterday. Getting the plastic cover off and back on that encloses the wiring connections and such was more work than the actual element replacement which went just fine. Really a tight spot back there. Water heats with electric now as it should instead of just with propane. Thanks for the help!

Tags
ace, element, heat, heater, heating, replace, replacement, water, water heater