Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #1

Troubleshooting Fridge Heating Element

I recently bought a 15 year old Laredo 29RL and my Norcold 611 isn't working. It is missing the eyebrow board, and when I inspected the fridge, I noticed it was unplugged from AC power and the gas was turned off. I bought this from a lot, and not the previous owner, so I have no additional history.

I have tested the resistance of the heating element and it seems within range for this unit: 47 ohmns.

My next test was to splice an old extension cord into the the heating element leads. As soon as I plugged in the cord, I would trip the house fuse immediately.

So, then I tested resistance between one lead and the ground. I'm still a noob with my multimeter, but I *believe* this test should read OL. I was getting a reading that wold start around 3 ohms, and would continue to climb. As a test, I left it connected for 3 minutes and it climbed to over 7 ohms.

This is NOT normal, right? Why would it continue to climb?

Do these results mean I have a ground to short in my heating element?

I've read a lot of great electrical threads on this forum, so I know there are gurus that could dumb this down so even I could understand it : ). If I have a valid resistance on the heating element, what could explain the short...or am I completely misreading things?

Final question, I assume my next step should be to replace the element, right?
thatrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #2

Yes you have a short to ground......
Resistance 'thru' element OK
But resistance between lead and ground---7 ohms is over 17A
*element or leads breaking down and making contact with the 'holder' shorting it

And if you check the 5A AC fuse on circuit board it should be blown
*protects the AC circuit...so if fridge was plugged into an outlet the short to ground on element would blow that 5A fuse

That fridge model uses 2 different elements based on fridge S/N
*S/N on Absorber tank

Uses 2 different upper displays
*fridge S/N inside food compartment

Fridge also uses 2 different circuit boards
And 2 different gas valves

See Parts List for proper numbers based on S/Ns
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...1_20190325.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Resistance 'thru' element OK
But resistance between lead and ground---7 ohms is over 17A
*element or leads breaking down and making contact with the 'holder' shorting it
]
Thanks for your help Old Biscuit! I found the right part number and I was happily surprised that I could get a replacement from Amazon by tomorrow night!

I'll splice the heating element leads to an old extension cord I have with some electrical tape to test the new element and the integrity of the cooling system.

The replacement eyebrow board won't arrive until next week. Do you know if there's a way to "jump" the LP side of the system to check the solenoid, igniter and other LP components?

I'm assuming the LP system won't engage without the eyebrow board being plugged in...unless there's a way to jump it.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrvlife View Post
Thanks for your help Old Biscuit! I found the right part number and I was happily surprised that I could get a replacement from Amazon by tomorrow night!

I'll splice the heating element leads to an old extension cord I have with some electrical tape to test the new element and the integrity of the cooling system.

The replacement eyebrow board won't arrive until next week. Do you know if there's a way to "jump" the LP side of the system to check the solenoid, igniter and other LP components?

I'm assuming the LP system won't engage without the eyebrow board being plugged in...unless there's a way to jump it.
Not 'safely'-------
Old 07-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Hi Old-Biscuit,

Just wanted to thank you again and report back that I was very pleased to find a cold fridge when I checked this morning!!! : ). The freezer actually got down to 5 F. I shouldn't have let it run all night--I hope I didn't hurt anything--but at least that heat sensor didn't trip, so I imagine I'm OK.

Anyway, I really appreciate the solid advice, and wanted to share the good news....so now I'm trying to tackle the next item on my list.

In addition to the great advice....I also wanted to thank you for your service to our country. I just noticed your signature line. My father-in-law enjoyed a 20+ yr career in the USN, so I can't help but show my gratitude after reading that.

Wishing you continued safe travels : )
Tom
Old 07-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #6

Glad to hear the new element fixed it

Cold fridge is GOOD!
5*F in freezer is great....did you measure temp in food compartment
*thermometer in glass of water is best

Thanks for the update...much appreciated!

Tags
element, fridge, heat, heating, troubleshooting