Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Your points are well taken! I got the weight numbers from the GM and Chevy website (2022 models). I will check out the stickers the next time I am on a lot looking, which should be early next week.

A one ton sounds like a good idea. I have driven lots of trucks, buses, and large Diesel pushers, but I have never owned a pickup truck.

How does a one ton ride, compared to a 3/4? I would like a nice ride for some long distance driving, and around town. If I am paying that much for a new truck, I would like some comfort to go along with it. I am not expecting a Cadillac or Lexus ride, but something nice and quiet inside would be good!

I had a Chevy 2500 SRW SB, and went to a RAM 3500 SRW SB. The ride difference wasn't much. Maybe a little stiffer, but that would be more subjective, and easily fixed with better shocks.

My good friend has a '21 Chevy 2500 diesel LT 4x4. His sticker weight is 3,200 lbs, which is impressive, but put the normal junk one puts in it, and you are below 3,000 lbs. My '19 RAM 3500 SB diesel has a 3,750 payload sticker, but CAT scale reality is a little over 3,300 lbs. I tug a GD Momentum 5th with a CAT scale pin weight of 2,900 lbs. I am also 800 lbs under my RAWR. Personally, I would not pull it with a 3/4 ton, and if I were to load it up more, I would buy a dually.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
What do you tow your Grand Design with? I am looking to buy a Solitude model 310 GK. I checked out the numbers on payload (#4508), of a new GMC 2500 diesel truck, and I figure I would have plenty of payload left over after subtracting the Solitude hitch weight of 2350, and loading up the crew cab with passengers and luggage.

Here is my personal experience, we have a 32' 5er that scales about 13,000# with a 2,700# pin. When we were looking at updating to a new TV, as our old 2001 Ram 2500 was well over GVWR, while still just within axle ratings.

I was looking at newer Ram 3500 SRW with payloads in the 4,200# range (door Sticker), I figured we have an in bed tool box and some heavy stuff in there, so went with a DRW Ram 3,500 Laramie.
Well payload sticker is 5,411#, first trip to scales with the TV ready to hook to 5er we scaled 10,000#, Yes DRW two adults, smaller dog, hitch, and that tool box, ate up 1,411# of that 5,411# payload! We now have 4,000# available for pin.

If I had gone SRW I would have been right at GVWR! 2,700# + 1,411# = 4,111#.
We daily drive this DRW as it is our only vehicle.

The 5er you are looking at has a front bedroom slide and full width closet at the front. That adds mostly to the pin.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #17
JDT

When we bought our Pinnacle last year it was a decision between it and the Solitude 310GK. They are similar in weights with the Pinnacle being just a bit heavier. The factory listed pin weight for our Pinnacle was 2450ish. Fully loaded for a month long trip the actual pin weight was 3120. That does include a Splendide washer/dryer sitting in the front closet and a Reese Goose Box exchanged for the MorRyde pin which added about 80 pounds. Point is your pin weight can grow significantly when you start adding stuff. The total weight of our Pinnacle was 14,700.

Equipped correctly a long bed srw Ford will give you a 12,400 GVWR. Our mostly loaded Platinum has a yellow sticker capacity of 4054 pounds.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design, solitude, tow