Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #15

Is electric aquahot element enough to stop freezing when in storage?

On my 14 anthem I just leave the electric on with no problem in the basement..
I have a upgraded honey well digital thermostat and I leave it at 45 degrees and it’s always right on when I check it.. my area has seen low 20s this winter and still right at 45 degrees... I am plugged into a 50 amp although.. I wasn’t aware this source needed 50 amp as a above poster has stated.
In my coach I leave on a thermostated Costco heater plugged in also at 45 degrees.. this system seems to be working out just fine... my coach is parked outside on the side of my house...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Fyi

Matt brought up earlier that there are several temp monitoring device that you can use. I use a piper camera which also has alarm, temp and humidity sensor in it and has a battery back. I use it in conjunction with my AT&T air card (battery back up as well). If I lose power to the coach the camera will send me a alert telling me its on back up power. Works great for monitoring the coach in storage but the reason I put this together is make sure the dogs are ok when traveling and we have gone out for a while. It gives me some reassurance in case I lose park power
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #17

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. I am hooked up to 30amp power but my outlet is on its own breaker, none of the other outlets share my breaker. Here is what I have learned so far from multiple discussions with NIRVC in Georgia where I bought the coach and experimenting myself. We had two back to back nights in the 20s but it got up to the low 40s during the day. The building apparently absorbs enough heat during the day that it did not get below freezing during the night, at 6:30am with it still in the 20s outside a puddle in the building was still liquid. Which is kind of unfortunate for the purpose of testing the ability of the electric side of the aqua hot. NIRVC told me very confidently that even outside on their lot the aquahot electric side is more than enough to keep the coach from sustaining freeze damage here in the Atlanta area. I have a high end infrared temperature gun and at 6:30 in the morning, the metal boat trailer next to my coach was 33 degrees Fahrenheit and inside my basement the coldest surface was 58°, which is basically what I had the basement thermostat set to. And just FYI, the expansion tank for the aquhot was 85 degrees.
ssiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #18

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. I am hooked up to 30amp power but my outlet is on its own breaker, none of the other outlets share my breaker. Here is what I have learned so far from multiple discussions with NIRVC in Georgia where I bought the coach and experimenting myself. We had two back to back nights in the 20s but it got up to the low 40s during the day. The building apparently absorbs enough heat during the day that it did not get below freezing during the night, at 6:30am with it still in the 20s outside a puddle in the building was still liquid. Which is kind of unfortunate for the purpose of testing the ability of the electric side of the aqua hot. NIRVC told me very confidently that even outside on their lot the aquahot electric side is more than enough to keep the coach from sustaining freeze damage here in the Atlanta area. I have a high end infrared temperature gun and at 6:30 in the morning, the metal boat trailer next to my coach was 33 degrees Fahrenheit and inside my basement the coldest surface was 58°, which is basically what I had the basement thermostat set to. Just FYI, the expansion tank for the aquahot was 85 degrees.
ssiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Just to further muddy the water, it is my experience/opinion that 50 amp is not required...but shore power is. Its just a function of whether or not your power source will carry the electric element. On my current camper, it draws about 12 amps.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #20

Stew, you’re absolutely correct. 50A isn’t required, but power to whichever leg is powering the AH Electric Element is.

With a 50A (or generator) providing power, both L1 & L2 are powered, and while the amp draw is minimal and not terribly important , getting power to the correct leg is.

As you know, with 30A (or less), only one leg is powered (L1 or L2), and it would be a happy accident if the AH Electric element was on the powered leg.

Absent 50A (or generator), you can simply plug in and see if it works. If it doesn’t, that would require some higher level thinking and making some changes to move the AH Electric element to the leg that is powered.

I didn’t suggest diving into this as it isn’t within the scope of an average owner.

I hope this helps,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Stew, you’re absolutely correct. 50A isn’t required, but power to whichever leg is powering the AH Electric Element is.

With a 50A (or generator) providing power, both L1 & L2 are powered, and while the amp draw is minimal and not terribly important , getting power to the correct leg is.

As you know, with 30A (or less), only one leg is powered (L1 or L2), and it would be a happy accident if the AH Electric element was on the powered leg.

Absent 50A (or generator), you can simply plug in and see if it works. If it doesn’t, that would require some higher level thinking and making some changes to move the AH Electric element to the leg that is powered.

I didn’t suggest diving into this as it isn’t within the scope of an average owner.

I hope this helps,

-Matt
Matt,

Interesting. If I am plugged into 30A shore power both L1 and L2 are receiving power and both show a load.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #22

Don, I will need to play around with that. I know that is how our old coach worked, but it didn’t have an EMS like the Entegra does.

Ya learn something new every day!

Thanks Don!

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Don, I will need to play around with that. I know that is how our old coach worked, but it didn’t have an EMS like the Entegra does.

Ya learn something new every day!

Thanks Don!

-Matt
Matt,

There is something new for all of us to learn each day. Or was that something we knew but forgot!!! Now I don’t remember.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #24

It you use a 30 amp adapter then both legs are hot
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #25

I have my 2015 Aspire stored outside in Illinois winters currently (new building is being built next month). I have a LP Aqua Hot. I turn on the LP system and the basement heat and then turn off the burner leaving only the electric element on. This keeps the inside of the coach about 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside temps. So getting down to 20 degrees isn't a problem for a short period of time. I am hooked up to 100 amp power.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
I have my 2015 Aspire stored outside in Illinois winters currently (new building is being built next month). I have a LP Aqua Hot. I turn on the LP system and the basement heat and then turn off the burner leaving only the electric element on. This keeps the inside of the coach about 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside temps. So getting down to 20 degrees isn't a problem for a short period of time. I am hooked up to 100 amp power.

I find this to be true as well. With just the floor heat on electric, our outside/inside temp split usually runs about 14-15 degrees.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, electric, element