Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #1

Anyone out there with experience with Maxi Scooters

I have a 150cc scooter that works well for most things around towns and parks. It is a little small to carry both the wife and I, and is no way highway capable. I am considering upgrading to a larger scooter in the 500cc to 650cc range . I have looked at a few and wonder if anyone has any experience with them.

I am also considering a motorcycle in the same displacement and weight range. I am leaning towards the scooter option because I have come to like the ease of use of them. I realty don't like changing gears all the time in traffic.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #2

We purchased a 2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500cc scooter 4 years ago and have used it when RVing with our Truck Camper several times, cruises at 70+ mph with both of us on it, has hard, removable saddlebags, a hard trunk, and of course the front fairing and windshield. We haven't used it much since we purchased the MH so it's going up for sale this spring. We're in north Florida. If you're close and want to consider purchasing it send me a PM.

Edit: I see you're in MO, probably too far to go for this one.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

If looking at a larger scooter I would consider a Suzuki Burgman, either the 400 or the 650. Do watch the weight of these options if hauling on the receiver hitch.

A lot of them around, the dealer network is fairly strong and quite a bit of after market options.

My brother is getting a Kawasaki 400 Ninja to dangle off of the back. Plenty of zip, ABS brakes and about 370lbs wet weight. Of course, you need to add saddle bags and/or a trunk for toting stuff to and from where the scooters have it built in.

I prefer the shifting but I like to explore the handling capacity of the 650 Kawasaki Versys on twisty roads. Yee haw.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

I have a Suzuki DRZ400 I can carry on a hitch rack - excellent all around type bike, about 300 pounds. Carries two people easily at highway speeds and is capable in the dirt.

Another possibility I've looked into is getting a Zero electric motorcycle - they make several different models, range is getting better all the time. The one I am looking at most seriously has removable battery packs so it can be as light as about 200 pounds when being carried. No shifting, very little maintenance needed. What's holding me back is the price.

Just a few ideas -
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #5

500 cc scooter

I have a piaggio MP3 500 cc scooter that I will sell soon.
has windshield and trunk. its great for the freeway, cruise at 80mph.
two front wheels for parking and great for road contact. leans like a motorcycle.
less than 4,000 miles
scooter 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #6

First, thanks for the replies. I decided not to go with a maxi scooter due to the weight of the ones I looked at. I went with a Kawasaki KLR 650. It is almost 100 lbs lighter than the scooters I was interested in and as I am carrying it on a hitch rack, that was very important to me. It is also nice to know I can take it anywhere from an Interstate to a cow path with no problems.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller806 View Post
First, thanks for the replies. I decided not to go with a maxi scooter due to the weight of the ones I looked at. I went with a Kawasaki KLR 650. It is almost 100 lbs lighter than the scooters I was interested in and as I am carrying it on a hitch rack, that was very important to me. It is also nice to know I can take it anywhere from an Interstate to a cow path with no problems.
Dunno how much you know about KLRs but make sure that the doohickey is done. Google up Eagle Mike for the kit. If you hop on a KLR forum you may find someone close by that has the tools required that you could borrow. It is a bit of a process to install. Do some research on this. They don't all fail but quite a few do. If it does, time to find a new engine.

Also, especially for loading up the bike or carrying a passenger(or both), replace the rear subframe attachment bolts with stronger bolts.

Do note, the KLR is not equipped with an idiot light for oil pressure from the factory.

Consider installing a Therm O Bob. Consider getting the carburetor reworked at Shoodaben Engineering. The jet needle for sure should be replaced, I think with the one from the mid 90's KLX650(not KLR). He knows for sure.
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #8

Had a 400 & 650 Burgmans . Put almost 80,000 miles total on them. Bought both used. 400 was a 07 650 was a 09. 650 will have very good power and ride. 400 will still give you power but better mpg. If you are looking for lots of 2-up riding I would go for the 650.
Check them out at www.Burgmanusa.com
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #9

One of the best buys out there was the Aprilia SportCity 250cc Maxi Scooter with its 465 lb load capacity and 326 lb curb weight. You could get then new off the showroom floor for a little over $2,000 and a low mileage used one would work out well.

Closest thing today would be the Piaggio BV350 which has similar capacity but weighs in at about 390 lbs.

I have helped load the KLR 650's and they are a bit heavier and its a bit surprising how much more difficult it is to load a bike that weighs over 400 load compared to one that weighs under 400. The KLR650 has a curb weight of 428 lbs.

Note that most single receiver mounted motorcycle carriers have a 400 lb weight limit.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
One of the best buys out there was the Aprilia SportCity 250cc Maxi Scooter with its 465 lb load capacity and 326 lb curb weight. You could get then new off the showroom floor for a little over $2,000 and a low mileage used one would work out well.

Closest thing today would be the Piaggio BV350 which has similar capacity but weighs in at about 390 lbs.

I have helped load the KLR 650's and they are a bit heavier and its a bit surprising how much more difficult it is to load a bike that weighs over 400 load compared to one that weighs under 400. The KLR650 has a curb weight of 428 lbs.

Note that most single receiver mounted motorcycle carriers have a 400 lb weight limit.
Thanks for the insights. You are right about loading the KLR. It requires a bit of help from the wife to load and unload it, mostly helping with the balance before the straps are in place while loading and after they are removed for unloading. My carrier has a load rating of 600 lbs, so that is not a problem, but the KLR is about as heavy as I am willing to carry on it.

Due to the present circumstances I have only been able to carry it a few times this year. Hopefully next year will be better and We can get out and enjoy it.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #11

Howdy!

I had a Honda 250cc scooter and it just wasn’t up to carrying two people comfortably on the highway. Sold it and got a used Yamaha Majesty 400cc. Great scooter and capable of two up. Yamaha also has a 650cc. For two people I wouldn’t get anything less than a 400cc. Still have our scooter but we now have a Smart Car we carry in our TH so the Majesty doesn’t get much use.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scooter