Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:49 PM   #15

RightUR-You are right about who I am working with, there is no one in my area. The VFW doesn't have anyone and the VSO I did have was from the state of Nevada Veterans Office. When the covid hit they closed the Veterans Office and it remains closed. So I am on my own. I am trying to work with the VA directly but that is really frustrating, spend hours on hold or get a run around if my questions are to hard for them. It would be nice if my VSO could come back to work, he was a great help. The asbestos exposure was not in my original claim so I am still trying to get that recognized.
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
RightUR-You are right about who I am working with, there is no one in my area. The VFW doesn't have anyone and the VSO I did have was from the state of Nevada Veterans Office. When the covid hit they closed the Veterans Office and it remains closed. So I am on my own. I am trying to work with the VA directly but that is really frustrating, spend hours on hold or get a run around if my questions are to hard for them. It would be nice if my VSO could come back to work, he was a great help. The asbestos exposure was not in my original claim so I am still trying to get that recognized.
Bill
Hmm, Nevada. Yeah. Look. You're a traveler, San Antonio is Military city, we have 4 Active Military Bases here. And A VA REGIONAL Medical Health center. If you don't like cold winters and you're travelling this way, stay in one of the CG's and take care of you biz down here. Your goal is to go to the VSO at the Frank Tajeda medical center, preferably with your medical records. When the assigne VSO is done inputting everything (unless he can pull up what you're old VSO input) he'll tell you that you'll be receiving a letter to go see some doctors. VA doctors are not supposed to visit with you for a Claim related ailment. It's a conflict of interest, so they send you to a 3rd party. They'll verify everything you told the VSO and put it in medical terminology, then send it to Houston. I'm sure you already know all this.
I'd give you more info, but I'd have to get personal, like where you served and so on. So I'll leave it here unless you want to Msg me. Good luck
Old 09-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
Hmm, Nevada. Yeah. Look. You're a traveler, San Antonio is Military city, we have 4 Active Military Bases here. And A VA REGIONAL Medical Health center. If you don't like cold winters and you're travelling this way, stay in one of the CG's and take care of you biz down here. Your goal is to go to the VSO at the Frank Tajeda medical center, preferably with your medical records. When the assigne VSO is done inputting everything (unless he can pull up what you're old VSO input) he'll tell you that you'll be receiving a letter to go see some doctors. VA doctors are not supposed to visit with you for a Claim related ailment. It's a conflict of interest, so they send you to a 3rd party. They'll verify everything you told the VSO and put it in medical terminology, then send it to Houston. I'm sure you already know all this.
I'd give you more info, but I'd have to get personal, like where you served and so on. So I'll leave it here unless you want to Msg me. Good luck
A couple years ago My disability upgrade claim was processed in about 3 months time. This included getting evaluated by two different VA doctors to verify my disabilities. Is not being evaluated by a VA doctor something new? COVID has slowed every Government agency response to the public. I recently drove by DFAS Columbus and the city block size parking lot had two cars parked there. Looked like about 90% of the employees are working from home. Appointment at the Columbus VA are readily available and parking is now easy peasy. I can usually get a disabled spot which was impossible before.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #18

It's funny, I've had three different physicals for three of the 8 deferred judgements all scheduled through a group called QTC out of Texas. There is a full VA hospital in Reno about 65 miles from here and a VA clinic right here in Fallon. All my physicals are always with some non VA doctor in rented out offices, one was in a motorhome. I guess that just going to the VA hospital or clinic would be to easy, but at least they are working on it. I never know what's going on in advance, I'll get a phone call telling me they have set me up for a appointment at such and such place and it's like day after tomorrow
Bill
Old 09-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
A couple years ago My disability upgrade claim was processed in about 3 months time. This included getting evaluated by two different VA doctors to verify my disabilities. Is not being evaluated by a VA doctor something new? COVID has slowed every Government agency response to the public. I recently drove by DFAS Columbus and the city block size parking lot had two cars parked there. Looked like about 90% of the employees are working from home. Appointment at the Columbus VA are readily available and parking is now easy peasy. I can usually get a disabled spot which was impossible before.
verifying your disabilities is one thing certifying them is another. I mean, when i went to the VA I told them my back was killing me. They took an X-ray and verified my injury. They started treating me, well LOL, giving me pain killers. There's really nothing they can do. But when I put in my claim they sent me to a 3rd party, who took his own x-rays and sent it up the chain.
So you said you have license plates...so what's your rating?
Now, like others have said, you have to stick with it, if they give you 30% go back 2-3 yrs later and say hey, it got worse, now my other side hurts, because I keep compensating. Basically your "new" ailment is SECONDARY to the original injury. You want them to put that word in your file: "Secondary to..."
Old 09-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It's funny, I've had three different physicals for three of the 8 deferred judgements all scheduled through a group called QTC out of Texas. There is a full VA hospital in Reno about 65 miles from here and a VA clinic right here in Fallon. All my physicals are always with some non VA doctor in rented out offices, one was in a motorhome. I guess that just going to the VA hospital or clinic would be to easy, but at least they are working on it. I never know what's going on in advance, I'll get a phone call telling me they have set me up for a appointment at such and such place and it's like day after tomorrow
Bill
Hmm deferred. So they determined you weren't giving them enough evidence. Did you ever Appeal or Do an Appeal?
Old 09-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Disability Claims Exams

Disability Claim Examinations are explained In the most recent VA news letter. The VA has contracted with Civilian Doctors to perform exams to confirm the existence and verification/certification of a disability claim submitted by veterans. So even though you are close to a VA medical hospital or clinic you will be sent to the Contracted Doctor near the home address that is in your VA profile. This could be a problem with Full Timers who move a lot.

Recommend all veterans sign up for the VA News letter. It's free, sent to your email address, and has current VA information.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #22

So far the closest they have got to my location has been 70 miles. The first physical was scheduled over 130 miles and the second 110. I was able to get those changed to Reno, only 70 miles. It was explained to me by a VA rep. that due to the number of deferreds I have I may need 4 or 5 physicals before a final decision is made. They still haven't touched my ischemic heart disease, neuropathy or asbestos exposure. I am hoping to finally end up over 50%. I would much rather just have my health back but it way to late for that.
Bill
Old 09-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Keep at it. The result is well worth the effort. I went from 30% to 90%. Yes, I would love to be rid of all the pain in my knees, hips, back, and shoulders. Plus I am not even rated for COPD, Melanoma, and tinnitus which I claimed and was denied. I didn't appeal the decision. I got what I needed to survive.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #24

I retired with 30% and continued to fight for several items that were denied. I finally ran out of appeals and gave up. That was about 7 years ago. About 1 year ago I contacted one of the attorney law firms that fight for your disabilities. They took my information, setup me up with one of their doctors and submitted the paperwork to the VA. 6 months ago I was bumped from 30% to 70%, which is a huge difference. It cost me about $3500 and my only regret is not doing it years ago.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
VA doctors are not supposed to visit with you for a Claim related ailment. It's a conflict of interest, so they send you to a 3rd party.
I was seen by a VA Doctor 4 years ago. Has it changed? When I filed for an increase to my disability for several items I was seen by one Doctor in the VA medical center. Also several from outside the VA system. The Doctor from the VA actually got me a 30% increase.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So far the closest they have got to my location has been 70 miles. The first physical was scheduled over 130 miles and the second 110. I was able to get those changed to Reno, only 70 miles. It was explained to me by a VA rep. that due to the number of deferreds I have I may need 4 or 5 physicals before a final decision is made. They still haven't touched my ischemic heart disease, neuropathy or asbestos exposure. I am hoping to finally end up over 50%. I would much rather just have my health back but it way to late for that.
Bill
I hear ya man. If my back wasn't all messed up, I'd still be playing tennis and soccer. I mean I'm only 53, but gosh do I feel old. Also it wouldn't hurt on those long trips when I've been behind the wheel for over 2-3 hrs. My doc is sending me to therapy for the 1000's time. I keep telling him "been there, done that" but he's one of those young residents that do their residency at the VA (so they can keep their costs down) and use us as guinea pigs. lol. I told him:"Doc, if it makes you happy, I'll go, it'll get me outta that house," lol. Anyway, I still think you should change over to San antonio.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I retired with 30% and continued to fight for several items that were denied. I finally ran out of appeals and gave up. That was about 7 years ago. About 1 year ago I contacted one of the attorney law firms that fight for your disabilities. They took my information, setup me up with one of their doctors and submitted the paperwork to the VA. 6 months ago I was bumped from 30% to 70%, which is a huge difference. It cost me about $3500 and my only regret is not doing it years ago.
congrats at "Winning" your case. Let me ask you (but I think I already know the answer) did you get back pay?
Old 09-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
I was seen by a VA Doctor 4 years ago. Has it changed? When I filed for an increase to my disability for several items I was seen by one Doctor in the VA medical center. Also several from outside the VA system. The Doctor from the VA actually got me a 30% increase.
So, like I previously mentioned. The VA dr's will see you and verify everything that afflicts you and sign off on it if they find it to be true. It also makes it easier when they send their diagnoses together with that of the outside dr's diagnosis.
Ever notice how they send you a questionnaire before you see an outside dr? Because you have to give consent for the VA to release your medical records. So outside Dr's will request your files to get a better picture of your afflictions, and they don't want to base their findings all on a 45 min visit. Once they write up the outcome of their visit with you, that file gets sent to Houston, where they have a team of None-Doctors, not even nurses, go through your file and pick out keywords and practically determine your rating (that's it in a nutshell). I'm purposely leaving out a few things here, but hopefully you can understand why.

Tags
disability