Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2021, 06:05 AM   #1

Grand Design Imagine 17MKE

Anyone here have this particular model? Looking for opinions. Looking to use as a couples trailer pulling with either Ram 1500 or F150.
C Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #2

My Cousin bought a Keystone that is about like this imagine, except it looks like the imagine is much more well thought out as to storage, looks like those cabinets beside the bed/couch are functional, and looks like accessible storage under the bed. all good things! make sure that the murphy bed is comfortable. and is attached solidly! consideration; are you both night owls? both early risers? if you are not in sync, one of you will be up and doing while the other is trying to sleep in the same space. JMHO
Old 05-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #3

Not bad. I'd also look at Rockwood Geo Pro and Lance. I'd suggest OutdoorsRV or Arctic Fox but you're a long ways from any dealers. Pros and cons to the Murphy bed. Tank sizes aren't too bad but would be nice to have more fresh water. You'd be surprised how quickly you can go through that but not a problem if you are going to campgrounds with full hookups most of the time. To get more you would have to go a little longer and a little heavier.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Hayden View Post
Anyone here have this particular model? Looking for opinions. Looking to use as a couples trailer pulling with either Ram 1500 or F150.
Liking or disliking the floor plan is all up to you.

Towing capacity of a truck is a technical issue. The definitive way is to start with the pair of weight stickers inside the driver's door of the proposed tow vehicle.

You need the "Gross Combined" weight of truck and trailer or "Towing Capacity" and the "Cargo Capacity". You may be able to get these from the internet using the vehicle VIN number.

Using general published "Towing Capacity" for a brand and model is not reliable. Individual trucks with different options have different capacities.

Actual weights are what matter, but you can use "Gross Vehicle" weight of the travel trailer for planning purposes. Get it from the sticker on the front driver's side of the trailer if possible.

Dealers tend to hide it and try to get you to use "Dry Weight". That is a deceptive way to get you to buy a bigger trailer. They get a bigger commission. You get an over weight situation and have to buy a bigger tow vehicle.

There is lots of math to learn to do. There is no easier way. Check back when you have weight sticker numbers.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Hayden View Post
Payload will be your deciding factor. Your fully laden 17MKE (with full fresh water) will have a tongue weight of over 800# (13% of GVWR). Add 300# for people, and you’re over 1,100#. Now subtract another 150# for WDH and torsion bars and you’re at 1,250# with nothing else in the cab or in the bed. So, I advise you choose the truck with the highest payload and get a hefty WDH. Some half tons have less payload than my mid-size. Payload is something we have struggled with to stay within acceptable safety limits.

Winnebago bought GD 5 years ago. So now they share many of the same components. We’ve been happy with our build quality, and GD has an even better build. We got a Murphy bed model because we wanted somewhere else to sit other than the dinette, or on a bed. The design more attractive to us for when we have grandkids or guests in the rig.

We are unhappy with our Murphy bed. I’m 6’2”. Bed length spec’d at 74”. Ok right? WRONG! The curvature of the front cap takes up about 4” of mattress length if the mattress is in normal position. To sleep, I have to pull the foot of the mattress downstream so I can get my entire body onto the bed. Don’t know about the 17MK, but our mattress is two piece angled overlap, so the mattress can retract into the storage space when the bed is in up position. After just two months of use, one of the gas piston mounts broke, and the piano hinge loosened. They could have used better heavier duty hardware, and better screw backing, but didn’t. On the plus side, when the Murphy bed is up, the trailer becomes much roomier, and it’s more comfortable watching tv from the Murphy bed sofa; as long as you buy a couple of those collapsible ottomans to put your feet up. The foam of the mattress is dense enough to get a good sleep.

Hope this has some value for you.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club
17 MKE Likes and dislikes

I love the RV and I love the simple layout - works great for two people.

I hate Grand Designs Technical Support - it is non existent - dont even ask for a wiring diagram - they told me no RV maker has that - that is Bull just go ask Winnebago

My particular problem is my RV is PreWired for solar The box is on the roof for the wires - I opened the box in pass through marked "Solar Pre wire" and two sets of wires drop out. I know one goes to roof even though neither are labeled. I wonder where the other goes? There is nothing to tell me and GD has no idea.

I would say this - if you are buying with everything you need on it and do not want any mods - go for it. If you are looking to change stuff - look elsewhere.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
Not bad. I'd also look at Rockwood Geo Pro and Lance. I'd suggest OutdoorsRV or Arctic Fox but you're a long ways from any dealers. Pros and cons to the Murphy bed. Tank sizes aren't too bad but would be nice to have more fresh water. You'd be surprised how quickly you can go through that but not a problem if you are going to campgrounds with full hookups most of the time. To get more you would have to go a little longer and a little heavier.
Nearly every AF or ORV will be thousands of pounds heavier. I'd avoid all the new Lances like the plague, but our Lance dealer here will certainly make you a deal on one. They're just sitting. One dealer in Sac (La Mesa) stopped carrying Lance altogether. They have two left.

The 17MKE was on our short list for a while but we've decided it's just too small (but the counter space is amazing). We're now considering the 22MLE or the corresponding Cougar, the 22MLS. Either is still within 1/2 ton limits.

The new GDs and Keystones have some nice features, including factory solar and 12v refrigerators. The Cougar uses a non-organic insulated flooring and the GD still uses wood.

propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Payload will be your deciding factor. Your fully laden 17MKE (with full fresh water) will have a tongue weight of over 800# (13% of GVWR). Add 300# for people, and you’re over 1,100#. Now subtract another 150# for WDH and torsion bars and you’re at 1,250# with nothing else in the cab or in the bed. So, I advise you choose the truck with the highest payload and get a hefty WDH. Some half tons have less payload than my mid-size. Payload is something we have struggled with to stay within acceptable safety limits.

Winnebago bought GD 5 years ago. So now they share many of the same components. We’ve been happy with our build quality, and GD has an even better build. We got a Murphy bed model because we wanted somewhere else to sit other than the dinette, or on a bed. The design more attractive to us for when we have grandkids or guests in the rig.

We are unhappy with our Murphy bed. I’m 6’2”. Bed length spec’d at 74”. Ok right? WRONG! The curvature of the front cap takes up about 4” of mattress length if the mattress is in normal position. To sleep, I have to pull the foot of the mattress downstream so I can get my entire body onto the bed. Don’t know about the 17MK, but our mattress is two piece angled overlap, so the mattress can retract into the storage space when the bed is in up position. After just two months of use, one of the gas piston mounts broke, and the piano hinge loosened. They could have used better heavier duty hardware, and better screw backing, but didn’t. On the plus side, when the Murphy bed is up, the trailer becomes much roomier, and it’s more comfortable watching tv from the Murphy bed sofa; as long as you buy a couple of those collapsible ottomans to put your feet up. The foam of the mattress is dense enough to get a good sleep.

Hope this has some value for you.

Whomever told you Grand Design build quality is better was blowing smoke Big Time! All that QC, post PDI & dealer PDI promoted on the website is pure hogwash. I know, I just off loaded a GD fifthwheel because I had enough of the headache & heartache.
In the last 8 years I've had that GD and a Flagstaff V-Lite both of which I was unable to obtain wiring or plumbing schematic or even a block diagram.
Really kinda important as GD loves to hide fuses in places that you really wouldn't suspect.
Wicked Ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design