Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #15

Linc, yeah, I thought that weight loaded was incorrect. I seriously doubt I'll ever get the chance to weigh loaded, correctly. It does make me feel better that my PW wasn't really 4580#!! though.

Sean, Anytime your up in this neck of the woods, e-mail me and we'll roll a few back. My house is right off Herndon/Alluvial area in Clovis(if you know where that is!) If you are going to be up here the w/e of 7/8, I'll be gone. Going to Pismo for 4 days. Gotta get outa this heat!! Its'supposed to cool to 104 today, brrrrr!!! C-Ya!! Mike

2004 WW 3705 SLC FW w/ALL the goodies!! Hauling out back:
MCR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #16

Mike:

Oh boy...how ironic...Pismo is where my mom moved back FROM!!

Yeah...I know exactly where you're at...I'll give ya a holler some other time...you have a great time @ Pismo!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #17

Question.....So i just added air bags, and at 70 pds, they level the trailer right out. Is this taking part of the pin weight, and shifting it towards the back of the trailer ?

Have a great 4th everyone !!
KNUCKLEHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'm not an engineer but I tend to say no. All you are doing is helping your springs keep the truck level. there might be a small shifting of weight because of a nose low vs a nose level situation but I really don't think it will amount to much as far as the pin weight. JMO.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #19

Tom, Thanks for the input..i have been scratching my head on this issue. I was kinda thinking, the weight was going forward a little on to the front tires of the truck.....and back on the the rear of the toy hauler (triple axle). Have a good 4th of july all

Old 06-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by KNUCKLEHEAD:
Question.....So i just added air bags, and at 70 pds, they level the trailer right out. Is this taking part of the pin weight, and shifting it towards the back of the trailer ?

No change in pinweight. It is still on the pin and on the axle and tires. The lift is straight upp and you won't see any measurable change in weights.

By lifting the pin you can have a very slight shift in the center of gravity and pivot point for the weight at the axles. You could remove a slight load from the front axle and load the rear axle more thus actually increasing the pinweight on the truck.

You can easily demonstrate this with a paper cut out of the trailer profile.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally posted by KNUCKLEHEAD:

No, you aren't taking enough pin weight off to make much difference.
Air bags just don't let the truck squat. The pin weight is still there.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:42 AM   #22

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #23

Also keep in mind that bags will settle down any bounce up might get on a bumpy road, which will prevent you from bottoming out.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #24

KH:

Just think of air bags as "Load-Levelers" (which was their original technical title) with an added benefit of some shock absorbsion as Rod said. And NEVER run them all the way down- you'll ruin them in a heartbeat. They DO NOT add any capacity to the weight capabilities of the truck- no matter how much air you put in them.

So Rod....where the heck are your weights there, buddy?

Sean
Old 07-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #25

If ur talking about the weight of my rig Sean, I have some sad news. I don't know that I will ever get it weighed. I worry about so many other things when it comes to this, that weight will just add to the list. Sorry.

Hey Sean, BTW, did I tell you I replaced my tranny a couple weeks ago. Yup, she finally went south on me. Luckily is was on the end of a trip and not pulling out of the driveway. See, I have too many thing to worry about.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 07-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #26

OK Rod:

Just remember, "Ignorance Isn't Bliss" when it comes to being overweight!
Weigh it the next chance you get- you'll be glad you did.

Dang....how many miles did you have on your tranny? Was it an E04D? That sure isn't a cheap proposition- what did you replace it with?

Sean
Old 07-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #27

I know, I know. I'll get around to weighting in someday."You don't weigh in, you don't wrestle."

My tranny went at just under 70k miles. It seems to me like it should have lasted longer but in talking to other people who tow I guess it's a total crap shoot. You could go 50k or 250k miles before it goes. I will say the tranny guy says if you tow any trailer you should change your tranny fluid every 15k miles. That seemed a little extreme, but it's still cheaper that a new tranny.
I was debating on going with an off-the-shelf up-grade like Hill Killer or Monster, then I thought about a rebuild form C.E.D. (some tranny shop in Colorado that the editor for DirtSport Mag. uses on all his truck.) They all wanted like $4000 just for the tranny, then another $500 for R&R. Not only a little pricy, but what if I had a problem, too many things to try and work out as far as warranty issuses.
I had a local guy in OC basicly take it out, replace every thing that was burned or worn out, replace all electrics, then up grade everything to heavy duty standards. When he was done it was the equivalent of the F-550 tranny, or one that you find in a deisel pusher. He has been doing that same thing for the E4OD ever since it has come out and has had great success. He also had a better warranty and is local, so if anything does ever go wrong, he's right here. I already had to go back twice to fix minor thing. They pinched the seal between the tranny and the transfer case, then the cross member was too close to the tranny, so it had a slight vibration every so offten, than the 4X4 light came on with out it being in 4X4. I know that seems like a lot of issuses with something like this, I was just glad he was right here in OC so I didn't have to travel far to correct them. OTD price was just under $3k. Still a lot, but not the most and not the cheapest.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #28

So I went across the CHP scales this last weekend. Yes truckers were looking at me like I was an idiot, and yes I do have a friend that works there and he hooked me up. Here is my set up:

2004 F250 with 50 gal fuel tank (full) and air bags, otherwise, stock. Myself, wife, 3 yr old and newborn.

'05 W.W. LE3305. 35 gals of fuel, 130 gal fresh water. No toys(ATV's = approx. 1,000lbs) but otherwise fully loaded.

Steering = 4860 lb
Drive = 6740 lb
Tandem = 9840 lb

Total = 21440 lb

Yes I am over weight. Having ATVs in the back will help with tonge weight and I will have to make most of my trips with less water and fill on or near location. I need a new truck but can't afford one for a few yrs. It is hard to buy a truck and be able to afford a trailer a couple yrs later and still have the right T.V. F350 would still be under rated. Looks like I will need to get a F450 in a few yrs.

sjseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv