Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #29

Hi
Chances are it was us built that will be a big consideration as it will be US goods returning. On a tax perspective it makes a difference if it’s made in the US. I would consult a customs broker before you make your deal. They will know the ins and outs of the border. You want to make sure you can properly register it once in United State. I hope this helps
BJC FORZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2022, 04:39 PM   #30

Replying to your query

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
I am looking at buying a used motorhome that is in Canada and bringing it back across the border to register in US.Georgia.
Anyone have experience with this and how to handle?
It is a cash sale and owner has no loan on the unit.
I know absolutely nothing about Canada and/or their regulations. Don’t want to get blindsided at the border with unexpected fees or taxes.
Thanks for your help.
I have a 2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus (currently in Alberta) that was originally registered in the US. All it would take is for me (I now live in Montana), to bring it across the border and import it - no big deal since it was already registered here. Then I can sell it in the US without implications to me, or you.
LookinforLTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:27 PM   #31

Look up a Registered Importer near the border crossing that you will be bringing it down through. Call them and tell them you are buying a “US goods returning” motorhome. They will guide you through the process. You should expect to pay around $1000 for them to do everything for you.
offnightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #32

Buying vehicles in Canada

Hi Sas30,

[Moderator Edit]

It is illegal for a Canadian person to bring a Canadian vehicle into the US and sell without importing first. Ask any CBP agent.

There are two ways to import:
1. Personal vehicles can be imported into the US using a manufacture compliance letter or if the previous US, a copy of the title can server as the compliance letter.
2. If built for US market and a compliance letter or title is not available or it's a vehicle built for the Canadian market (CVMSS on Manufacture label), it must be processed through a Registered Importer.

Importing is a process and rules to follow. It's not as easy as most think otherwise we wouldn't be getting calls from individuals stuck at the Coutts/Sweetgrass, MT or Portal, ND border crossing asking for help.

As a side note, vehicles with diesel engines: When importing CBP inspects for factory emissions to be fully stock. Def deletes and catalytic converters missing do not make it across the border.

[Moderator Edit]

Happy & Safe Travels
Curt
CJames53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Just went through this this last year. we bought a 45' country coach out of Naniamo BC. If you have not gotten a clear answer, let me know I can give you all of the in's and out's as there are a few. That being said it was worth it for us. Tony
ccltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:45 AM   #34

[QUOTE=Call your DMV to get the real answer..[/QUOTE]

I did!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
You can guess how that went!
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccltd View Post
Just went through this this last year. we bought a 45' country coach out of Naniamo BC. If you have not gotten a clear answer, let me know I can give you all of the in's and out's as there are a few. That being said it was worth it for us. Tony
Thanks, I will do that once I have made my final decision on the coach.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJames53 View Post
Hi Sas30,

[Moderator Edit]

It is illegal for a Canadian person to bring a Canadian vehicle into the US and sell without importing first. Ask any CBP agent.

There are two ways to import:
1. Personal vehicles can be imported into the US using a manufacture compliance letter or if the previous US, a copy of the title can server as the compliance letter.
2. If built for US market and a compliance letter or title is not available or it's a vehicle built for the Canadian market (CVMSS on Manufacture label), it must be processed through a Registered Importer.

Importing is a process and rules to follow. It's not as easy as most think otherwise we wouldn't be getting calls from individuals stuck at the Coutts/Sweetgrass, MT or Portal, ND border crossing asking for help.

As a side note, vehicles with diesel engines: When importing CBP inspects for factory emissions to be fully stock. Def deletes and catalytic converters missing do not make it across the border.

[Moderator Edit]

Happy & Safe Travels
Curt
Thanks, I will keep this info and reach out to you when a final decision is made.
Sincerely, Andy S.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:12 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
The least costly tax-wise has been mentioned. Get someone in Canada to cross the border and get picked up. You pick it up near the border. Then get a transit sticker in the state its now in and drive it home with insurance covering it. Register it at home with the Montana ownership.

If possible get the original receipt.

Job done
Old 07-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
It was manufactured and originally sold in US. Titled in Montana to first owner.
Current owner says it is now licensed in Canada. ALso he has the previous owners title that was registered in Montana.
If it was titled in MT just bring a copy of that title and your Bill Of Sale. You can fill out the import entry paperwork, the DOT and EPA at the border. There will be no Duty if it was registered in the US already. Your friendly Customs and Border Protection Officer at Sweetgrass, MT.
klumppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumppw View Post
If it was titled in MT just bring a copy of that title and your Bill Of Sale. You can fill out the import entry paperwork, the DOT and EPA at the border. There will be no Duty if it was registered in the US already. Your friendly Customs and Border Protection Officer at Sweetgrass, MT.
The Montana title has been signed over to the current owner in Canada. The current owner still has the Montana title. But since his name is listed as the buyer, doubt I can use it in Georgia.
I plan to contact a broker as soon as I make a decision on a coach.
Since I started negotiating on this one , several others have popped up for sale at better prices. Even 1 to 2 years newer coaches at close to the same price.
The market for used motorhomes has definitely made a turn in the past couple of weeks.
Thanks
Old 07-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased my Horizon from a Canadian living in AZ. The rig was mfg in US and shipped to Canada for sale. He had to import the vehicle and used an AZ broker to do the deal. His cost was approx $1000. My rig has the metric dash and a Canadian RV sticker by the entry door.
Rich

Tags
ada, buying, canada, motor, motorhome