Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreaker1 View Post
Really like scenic routes and hiking but hot weather isn't the best niw for that.
Colorado elevations will not be hot once you get to the mountains.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Wow thanks for the great response. We're heading in on 50 from dodge city into lamar, colorado. Is that part of 50 bad. Well be entering colorado from the east, near bishop castle. Was thinking of heading Noth toward Denver, Boulder, rocky national. Steamboat and down west side to Cortez. Any thoughts. Tia
The Hwy 50 construction is a couple hundred miles west of the Kansas border. Bishops Castle is not near Lamar. It is on Colorado Hwy 165 west of Colorado City & Rye, south of Pueblo. You'll need to visit in the car as there's not much parking. Where are you planning to stay? Many campgrounds may be fully booked. Heading up I-25 isn't that bad. I just did it a couple weeks ago. It's very congested around the Denver area and there is some road construction north of Denver. Not much camping near Boulder. Rocky Mountain National Park has timed entry that must be reserved. You'd need to go north to Fort Collins and head west on Colorado Hwy 14 to get to Steamboat Springs. You'll connect with US Hwy 40 and cross over Rabbit Ears Pass just east of Steamboat. From Steamboat head west on Hwy 40 to Craig, then south on Colorado Hwy 13 to Rifle. If you have a chance, visit Rifle Falls State Park and see the amazing waterfall. At Rifle you'll connect with I-70 and go west to Grand Junction, then head south on Hwy 50 to Montrose. At Montrose you'll head south on Us Hwy 550 to Ridgway. A few miles south of Ridway is Ouray and it's worth a visit. From Ridgway you'll take Colorado Hwy to Colorado Hwy 145, then left toward Telluride. Staying on 145 you'll cross over Lizard Head Pass and eventually wind you way down to Cortez. You're kind of on your own for finding places to camp because things may be booked. Except for the interstates, most of the rest of the driving will be on 2 lane roads. The high points will be the two passes and you shouldn't have any trouble with either.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:54 PM   #17

Somewhere amongst your trips I would take a trip in the Toad to a mountain top. Trail Ridge in RMNP, Mt Evans or Pike's Peak.

Also along the front range there are Garden of the Gods near Colo Springs and Red Rocks near Denver. A little more accessable to an RV.

Just so much to see. Everything is better on a weekday. Colorado roads get kind of crazy on the weekends. Especially those in and out of front range cities.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:14 PM   #18

As far as I know, the only issue on US-50 is that one 4-mile stretch between Gunnison and Montrose. Otherwise you should not have any delays.

Once you climb into the mountains, the high temps will be lower (likely 80s I think) with cool, maybe even chilly, nights.

Around Salida you could book a whitewater river ride if you like that sort of thing. There's a dirt road that parallels the river north of Salida, on the east side of the river, that runs through a couple of short tunnels; it might make an interesting little drive with the toad. I have boondocked just north of the 2nd tunnel, but it might not be easy with your rig. Nearby St. Elmo has been mentioned (SW of Salida, W of Nathrop) and the Mt. Princeton hot springs and Hancock Ghost town are out that way, too.

19 miles north of Salida, I would suggest getting a campsite near Twin Lakes so you can start with the toad early in the morning for an all-day trip on Hwy 82 to the Maroon Bells (reservation is required, it's popular). Along the way you'll climb to a summit with a great, high overlook that you'll want to stop at.

North of Twin Lakes is Leadville. I'm not sure what is there to see; I just drove through. If you want to visit Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, you can head north and enter from the west (less busy) side. After that, maybe visit Steamboat Springs? I've never explored that area, but my dad took the rest of the family there before I was born and supposedly it is (or was?) beautiful.

The next thing I'd suggest is to drive to Grand Junction. Robb State Park is nice, and I'm sure there are other campgrounds as well. Allow a half day (or more if you want to walk some trails) to drive the toad through Colorado National Monument. Beautiful sandstone scenery high above the town. Another day trip worth taking is west on I-70 into Utah. Take scenic Hwy 128 to Moab. I would recommend Arches NP but I'm sure it will be really hot there. You can head back to Grand Junction after poking around Moab a bit, or else continue your scenic tour by making a loop south on US-191 to Hwy 48, which goes east (becomes Hwy 90 in CO), then north on Hwy 141 to Grand Junction.

Ready for more? Head south through Montrose (on US-550) to Ridgway. Ridgway SP is nice, if you can get a spot. From here, tour with the toad to Ouray and Silverton, then back.

When you are ready to move again, take 62 to 145 into Telluride and see the town as well as the great waterfall just east of town; you can't miss it. (Alternatively this could be another day trip with the toad.) A couple miles south of Telluride, stop briefly at Trout Lake and take in the view. Make your way to Cortez, where you can visit Mesa Verde. If you really like Mesa Verde and want more, Hovenweep is fairly close and could make a day trip.

From there, W on US-160 and then NW on Hwy 41 (162 in UT) takes you to the tiny town of Bluff, where you'll want to make a brief stop to see the Twin Rocks. Then W on US-163 leads to Valley of the Gods (if you want to unhook and drive the gravel road through the valley, sort of a mini version of Monument Valley), Mexican Hat with its hatlike balanced rock, and potentially the Goosenecks (the latter requires driving up a steep switchback, though). A bit further south you'll see Monument Valley. SW of that, Navajo National Monument has trails to some dwellings/ruins (your rig is too big for the CG, unfortunately).

If this itinerary leaves you with too much empty time in CO, just pull out a map and start driving somewhere in the toad. Or find some NF CGs or NF land, and relax in camp awhile. There's great mountain scenery everywhere you look.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:46 AM   #19

Thanks fir the great tips. Is bishop castle worth seeing. I can get a night or two at peublo state park and drive there in the car. I also found a boondocker site at yoder for 3 nights with electric. We thought we could drive the hour to see some sites near Colorado Springs. I hear what you say about sites being filled, especially the national parks. I usually plan way ahead but like I said, this trip is different. Just selling our house and getting out stuff out west, initially this was a means to get out west. I'm really looking forward to seeing the beauty of Colorado.
Daybreaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Is bishop castle worth seeing.
Haven't been there but here are some reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html
Old 07-26-2022, 04:46 AM   #21

Thank you. I got so many wonderful suggestions. I started putting stops into rv trip wizard. Looks like alot. Wondering how much time we will need and if there are a few base spots I can pick. How it looks now, I have a month of single or 2 day stops. From experience, it gets very tiring settiing up n down as well as hooking up and unhooking the toad every couple days. It would be great to maybe stay 3 or 4 days in base areas. Thz
Old 07-26-2022, 07:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Thanks fir the great tips. Is bishop castle worth seeing. I can get a night or two at peublo state park and drive there in the car. I also found a boondocker site at yoder for 3 nights with electric. We thought we could drive the hour to see some sites near Colorado Springs. I hear what you say about sites being filled, especially the national parks. I usually plan way ahead but like I said, this trip is different. Just selling our house and getting out stuff out west, initially this was a means to get out west. I'm really looking forward to seeing the beauty of Colorado.
Bishop Castle is interesting mostly because it was all built by one man who keeps adding to it. I’ve been there several times and it’s always different. It’s always under construction and not a polished tourist destination.
You best option would be to stay a week at a time at a couple places along the front range and tour in your car.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:56 AM   #23

Yep, totally agree but not sure what the best bases would be
Old 07-26-2022, 10:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Yep, totally agree but not sure what the best bases would be
Without knowing all the things you have planned it's hard to say. It's easier to see the 'whole picture' if you highlight the places on a paper map & then plan a route. You can then see what places you could do as a group from one camp site. That's how I would do it anyway. Keep in mind that when you do day trips you're using time and fuel getting to a bunch of places that aren't nearby.

Since you're moving close by, you can always make other trips to see things you didn't see on this one. You don't have to do it all at once.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:33 AM   #25

Thanks, so true
Old 07-31-2022, 03:08 PM   #26

We lived in Colorado Springs for 20 years, and camped/motorcycled around the state. The western slope is the best for getting away from things. The front range is good for more urbanized settings. Colorado Springs has Garden of the Gods and Manitou Springs. The GoG campground is right outside of both. Kind of urban, but handy as all get out and great for bicycling everywhere. Up north on the front range, I like Estes Park the best. Two or three great campgrounds right outside the park, or inside if you have a smaller unit. But I tend to be more of a western slope guy just for the solitude. Great places around Crested Butte, Paonia, Hotchkiss, etc. Grand Mesa is good, but it depends on the time of year. It can be hot. You can also head over towards Steamboat for a mountain experience.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:38 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We traveled US 50 across Colorado in June - Stayed at James Martin State Park west of Lamar - wasn't too crowded the night we were there. Then on to Royal View CG west of Canon City, which is a good place for restocking. Then on to Elk Creek Campground on Blue Mesa Reservoir west of Gunnison - only one loop has electric, and it was booked, so we dry camped. Wasn't too bad temp wise. Had dinner at Garlic Mikes on the north side on Gunnison - good food, great outdoor patio. We avoided Monarch Pass with its 9 miles of curvy steep downgrade by going south on US 285 to CO 114 back up to US 50 - our toad weighs 1/3 of our MH weight, and with no exhaust brake we didn't want to do Monarch. From Blue Mesa we went on to Utah via Montrose and Grand Junction - the construction had stopped having hours-long shutdowns, and we breezed right through with only a very short delay. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is worth a visit - really dramatic rock walls. We did drive the Million Dollar Highway (US 550) from Montrose to Durango in our Dutch Star a number of years ago - beautiful drive, but be aware that there are many switchbacks with 10-15 mph speed limits, and a couple of high passes. Not sure we'd do it in our Bay Star Sport with no exhaust brake.
2019 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2702 - our cute little thing NKK#19080
bakntep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:57 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Colorado Visit

many good suggestions already posted. I would add Creed and Lake City to the list but caution you to avoid Slumgullion Pass between them.

Driving in the mountains...just shift down to keep your rpm up and your fan cooling. Use exhaust break or gear down when descending.
AnonCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, colorado