Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2022, 07:59 PM   #1

Gooseneck adapters for dually?

I bought my current 5th rig with a goose adapter on it. A friend pulled it home with a 3/4t truck with no issues detected. Months later when I went to use the camper, I hooked up with my long bed dually and realized I could not get a full 90* turn without potential contact between truck and camper. Camper needed to move back several inches.

I measured my truck from the end of the bed to center of hitch and I think mine is about 49", and a friend measured his 3/4t 6.5ft bed at 44". I am not sure if that is really enough for clearance or not.

Do they make different adapters with different offsets? The type I have bolts to the king pin. Probably not the best solution but I don't usually go further than about 50mi and not that often.

Is the pin box possibly adjustable? Any other possible solutions? I guess I really figured any 5th wheel plate mounted in the truck would be centered the same as the gooseneck hitch, which is slightly forward of the rear axle. If a 5th plate was mounted further back, that would not load the truck correctly so I guess I am confused how a dually typically connects?
fastline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I think it be helpful to all if you told us what gooseneck adapter you are using.

I have a Reese Gooseneck and have lots of clearance using the ball with no offset - fore or aft.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:46 PM   #3

The pin location on your truck sounds like it may be located several inches (3"-5") forward of the trucks rear axle...and the pin in your friend truck may have been set up zero over the trucks rear axle. CA (cab to axle) dimension is critical when locating the trailer pin .

Trailer contact can be at the back of the cab or the back of the pin box hitting the side of the trucks bed.
Where is your contact point ??
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #4

To take this further, my current adapter has no markings but looks similar to the C5G offset offerings but this is an old one with no cushion.

The offset appears to be about 7", and the height is 15" from top flange face to very bottom of the goose hitch.

the interference is indeed with the pinbox itself wanting to make contact with the truck bed, in which the extension is just making the problem worse.

What I am not familiar with is what normal, acceptable clearances should be? I am used to hauling trailers that have a mile of clearance.

I measured from the center of goose hitch to the corner of the bumber and that is 66", and the distance from where my actual RV king pin to camper body is 72". That means "technically" the trailer would clear the corner of the truck by 6" without the offset.

I measured the distance from my bed floor to the top of rail at 22" and I measured the box height at the swing radius WITH the goose adapter at about 20". That is consistent with my experience when pulling. I know I can't turn very sharp without contact.

I roughly measured the distance where RV to top of bedrails would be at about 6".

From the looks of all of this, it would see if rear bumper clearance is acceptable without offset, I would probably be running an adapter without offset.

As well, I noted that the pin box has two height adjustable holes. It is at the lowest hole which lifts the camper up, and I know for certain it is a bit hiked up so moving the box to the upper set of holes should help level the camper if I can maintain acceptable bedrail clearance.

As far as my goose hitch, it is in a very optimal and factory mount position. I noticed where some 5th plates actually put the king pin behind the axle and that is not a good idea! Aside from playing with campers, I spec professional rigged loads so I feel good about my goose location.
fastline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada