Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
We are considering purchasing a 2019 Grand Design Solitude 377 MBS.

Does any one have any thoughts or experience good or bad with this particular model , the Solitude line or Grand Design in general.

We are particularly interested on people's thoughts regarding the quality of construction, useability, longevity and any cold climate experience.

Thanks

Did you end up going with the 377MBS? What are your thoughts so far? We are considering it and the RiverStone 37REL.
rnatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #16

My wife and I are going to take a $12k hit in February when we replace this 375RES SOLITUDE we bought this March. Horrible materials used and outright lying about "solid wood". Piss poor appliances. Their after manufacturing QC process is bogus. IOW, Grand Design is crap. I'm buying a Vanleigh in March.
tigerGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #17

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
Which RV manufacturer that exists today would you identify as special or above average build quality?
KZ-RV period. Northwood RV or Outdoors RV cant come close Best build quality of any RV manufacturer in their prospective price point, and they have the credentials to prove it.
17 years straight DSI award best built coaches in their class. (2018 most current year available)
jetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #18

The Montana and the Cougar line from Keystone may check all the right boxes for you.
guten tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #19

Good Grief, OP asked about GD Solitude. GD has all the same issues as everybody else, there is no magic formula for building the better RV and GD nor anybody else has it. They use the same materials as most others, the same appliances as most others, and the same frames from Lippert. GD customer service used to be an outlier but others are doing the same thing as them now to compete. The GD RV you buy is what you get, could be great could be not so great changes from one day to the next. GD uses laminated walls, could be a problem if you get a seal leak, brands like Cedar Creek or Riverstone do not. Buy what suits you, what fits your style, what fits your budget, what fits your Tow Vehicle and have a great time.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #20

Well we bit the bullet & took delivery of a new Grand Design 377MBS.

So far everything seems good a few minor trim touch ups but happy we made the decision.

Thanks for all the info.
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
Well we bit the bullet & took delivery of a new Grand Design 377MBS.

So far everything seems good a few minor trim touch ups but happy we made the decision.

Thanks for all the info.
Congrats.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Congratulations �� on your new rig. I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I noticed that you had another post about which truck. What did you finally decide.
Just my $.02 worth, I wouldn't tow any of the larger fifth wheels with anything less than a 3500/350 dually. Again, just my opinion. Our Vanleigh has about 3500 lbs or so of pin weight, maybe more.
Enjoy the journey.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerGUY View Post
My wife and I are going to take a $12k hit in February when we replace this 375RES SOLITUDE we bought this March. Horrible materials used and outright lying about "solid wood". Piss poor appliances. Their after manufacturing QC process is bogus. IOW, Grand Design is crap. I'm buying a Vanleigh in March.
A new 375RES? I haven't seen one "live" yet...but I thought the floorplan was cool. And I liked the idea of the pull out storage in the tail.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We've had our 2019 Solitude since last November. IMO, it is nice in many ways but nothing special. Build quality is average based on my experience with RV's since 1985. Most RV manufacturers are more focused on glitz than real build quality.

We've had no major issues. Several small things that I either fixed myself or had the dealer fix. Both kitchen sinks leaked at the drain from day one...fixed myself. Cold water inlet to water heater leaked from day one...fixed myself. LED lights on front of coach stopped working....dealer fixed. Lot of trim falling off inside the coach....I reattached myself.

Design gripes....switches to both patio awnings are mounted in a place where you cannot easily see the awnings as you deploy them. They do not have auto stop so they will rewind themselves is you do not stop at the right time. But you have to see them to do that. I have to open my entry door and peer out when I operate one and stretch to see out a window for the other. Grand Design should have also put switches outside or used the remote system that can be added to these awnings.

Many of the switches for interior lighting are mounted under the cabinets so you cannot see them. None are labelled. So turning on lights is a guess, trial and error game.

They have a switch inside labelled 'Driver Side Flood Light.' The light is mounted on the curb side so there is no lighting on the driver's side.

Grand Design claims the Solitude is Satellite ready. They put a hole in the roof behind a removable plate and another hole in the ceiling of the basement storage area. This is intended to allow the installation of a Sat dish on the roof or perhaps solar panels. However, they failed to install any conduit in the wall or otherwise provide an easy way to run the wires from the roof down to the basement.

If you want to use the rig in cold weather suggest you get dual pane windows.

Finally, before you buy one, ask the salesman to open the panel in the basement storage that lets you look behind the wall at the absolute mess of wiring, plumbing, water pump, coax cables, etc. It is an example of poor workmanship and lack of pride.

Not saying not to buy it but suggest you shop carefully.
You can install an RF controller.....and be outside....put one on slide also...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
A new 375RES? I haven't seen one "live" yet...but I thought the floorplan was cool. And I liked the idea of the pull out storage in the tail.
Saw a few of those this last year in Quartzsite......huge storage!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #26

JRS950

We have not decided on a truck yet & are waiting for the specs on all before we buy. I do prefer the dually long bed but it could be problematic when I work downtown or have to put other trailers in tight areas. On a couple of occasions with the long bed I had to unhook use another truck to make the turn & then hook back to my truck to get up the driveway. I do not want to buy 2 trucks so I have some choices to make
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #27

Found this thread interesting, in that we just put a down payment on a 2020 GD Solitude 385GK at the CA RV show. Taking delivery on Dec 4. Looking forward to the standard DIY fixes for things, and many years of RVing in it. Anyone with experience with this unit?
Old 10-18-2019, 05:29 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 384GKR which is similar to the 385. Both have great storage
The 385 is unique having a closet in galley area for stacked washer and dryer vs in bedroom like most of the others.

If the dealer had a 385 in stock when we were looking, we would have bought it over the 384.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Found this thread interesting, in that we just put a down payment on a 2020 GD Solitude 385GK at the CA RV show. Taking delivery on Dec 4. Looking forward to the standard DIY fixes for things, and many years of RVing in it. Anyone with experience with this unit?

Tags
grand design