Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

Scalding Hot Shower in a Momentum?

I’m considering a Momentum 397TH, and wanted to know if any owners of that model have issues with the shower getting too hot if a toilet is flushed, or water is turned on in another area. Something I’d really like to avoid!
Audia6tq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #2

It will depend on the incoming pressure to some extent. We never have that issue unless the water pressure is low.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
It will depend on the incoming pressure to some extent. We never have that issue unless the water pressure is low.
Thanks. I meant to ask if it happens on city water and/or only on pump.
Audia6tq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #4

Every RV I've ever owned puts out scalding hot water. Like many other comforts and safety features of home, an RV is a different beast. I've never noticed much difference between city water and water pump. I pretty much expect it to be boiling and plan accordingly. Mainly, I warn children and others with me to be careful.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
Aren't the water heaters adjustable?

Lyle
Old 01-17-2020, 11:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just as my wife enters the shower she threatens my life if I touch any water faucets at all while she is showering.

Perhaps you should explain to the other occupants of your RV that their life is in danger while you are showering.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
RV water heaters always are hotter than your home unit because they are small and need to mix with more cold water to make them last long enough for a shower.

One way to make sure you never experience the temperature fluctuation you asked about is to use the water pump along with the city water connection. It works just fine and will boost a lower pressure city connection, just keep water in your tank and when it is time for a shower turn the pump on. I also use both the electric water heater element and the propane heater for faster recovery and a longer lasting shower. I take pretty long showers for a camper and have never run out of hot water or been scalded or frozen if someone used water in another part of the trailer.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #8

There are faucets for residential use that automatically adjust to keep the temp where desired, not sure about suitability in your situation. There are also "tempering valves" that do the same thing "behind the scene", this will involve the cold and hot supply lines ahead of the faucet.

Another solution that involves a bit of a lifestyle change. This is what we do to conserve water whilst boondocking in out class b. Leave the water heater off until it's time for a shower. Run the water heater until it reaches the desired temp for a shower. We use a remote digital meat thermometer with the probe inserted at an angle into the foam insulation of the hot water tank. There is a bit of a time lag so when it shows 95* the tank is actually at about 100*, +or-. When showering, one only turns on the hot water, thus no blending of hot and cold, keeping the temp constant.

This is where the changes come in. You will have to heat other water domestic purposes such as washing dishes separately, i.e. cook top in a pan. Most people aren't willing to do this but in our case it extends the time between dumping by 1-3 days and does make the Navy style of showering more pleasant as you can/will get a cold or hot rush of water when turning on the water to rinse.

Just some options.

The behind the scenes tempering valve may be the solution that would be reasonable for you.

Good luck.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
IC2

If that Momentum has an Atwood XT hot water heater, yes, they can be a problem as the balancing valve will often fail, leaving you with way too hot water. The concept is fine but the execution isn't. These HW heaters are advertised as supplying HW from a 10 gallon tank like it's a 15 gallon tank. You can, with some effort either remove that valsve or, again with some time, adjust it so it will not supply overheated water.

Addionally, RV hot water heaters tend to supply at 130* F or more while your home will usually be set at about 120*F. Our 5er can make doing the dishes interesting but I replaced the cheap OEM faucet with one that has a temp limit adjustment
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Test the water before you get in. I put in a lower temp thermostat. And got rid off the mixer valve on the back of the water heater that kept plugging up.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
Aren't the water heaters adjustable?

Lyle
Nope.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:18 AM   #12
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Nope.
Yes if it's an XT version but you have to dig through some sealant
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:40 AM   #13

Same here, all 3 of my trailer put out hot hot water. Flushing the toilet while my wife is showing is not an issue because that never happens. But how about if you use the kitchen faucet?

One time, 1st camping of the season my wife says the water was warm then she got a shot of cool water. I do not believe her, so I shower and sure enough I too get warm water with a shot if cool water.

Turns out I did not have the winterization valves turned the right way.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #14

One could investigate installing a tempering valve for either just the bath area or the whole hot water circuit.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/tempering...nbaf5qo6dvn24j
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
momentum, shower