Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Propane Tank Problems

Just got this MH going again after.setting for 15 yes. Took it to get tank filled at 2 different places.and neither could get any in it. Can't read gauge on tank, dash gauge says full. Unhooked regulater and open valve and no.propane..is this on the fill valve are the vapor release ? How hard are the valves to change? Thanks Ronnie
okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
the vapor release should release propane with a flat screw driver if you turn it.
If you pull the regulator off and open the valve it will NOT let propane out... Safety Feature...

If the unit has been sitting for 15 years, pretty sure the Propane tank needs to be recertified.... Surprised anyone has tried to fill it...

Valves can be replaced easily, just need to figure out what type of tank it is...
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

There was a thread a couple of months ago on changing out the valve. It has a lot of information including on finding the proper place to do the work. As I recall some places wanted to burn off the propane in the tank where others could recover it.

Not sure what search term you would use, but it was fairly recent.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
If the unit has been sitting for 15 years, pretty sure the Propane tank needs to be recertified.... Surprised anyone has tried to fill it...
I thought there was an exception for motor home tanks, but in any case I've never seen a place check dates on my 20 pound tanks.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I thought there was an exception for motor home tanks, but in any case I've never seen a place check dates on my 20 pound tanks.

Could be correct dont know... just a random thought as I just had my portable tanks filled and they were all over the date check.
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #6

Ok, I will check on the vapor valve when I get back to MH. I'm just trying to help a friend out. Had everything working and this happened. This thing has stayed outside unless it was on a. Trip and it is a 1984 model
Old 10-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #7

MH Tanks (ASME Jurisdiction) do NOT require recertification
They only need to be replaced if in accident/fire otherwise the Relief should be replaced after 10 yrs
*DOT Portable Cylinders do require recertification 10 yrs after date of mfg. Stamped on collar/ Visual inspection good for 5 yrs then recertify again

MH/ASME Tanks have separate FILL Valve, Separate Vapor/Service Valve, separate Fixed Liquid Level Valve *when cracked open during filling Bleeder Valve that will vent vapor until liquid level reaches 80% then it will spew liquid propane

Fill Valve valve has a spring loaded check valve that gets pushed open when FILL Nozzle adapter is screwed on.....also must have the gasket in place inside the fill valve
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #8

Problems

I need to figure which filller valve I need to get to replace this one, it has 4 screws in it and it is a Manchester tank.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #9

If it leaks, they sell a fill valve adaptor that screws on the leaking one. You leave it on.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-11-02-15-17-59.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	306728
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #10

TNk

This is a Manchester tank and the filler valve screws into a safety valve that has 4 screws in it. I think it is the safety valve part of it is bad. We can move the plunger on the outside part but is still shut off.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #11

Al e

Don’t leak can’t get propane in the bottle
Old 11-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Most likely you OPD (Overfill protection device) is stuck in a position which prevents filling. I fixed mine a few weeks ago. See the link to the post below that takes you through the process step by step.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/opd-...nk-510951.html

Make SURE you vent out any propane that's in the tank!!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie mopar View Post
This is a Manchester tank and the filler valve screws into a safety valve that has 4 screws in it. I think it is the safety valve part of it is bad. We can move the plunger on the outside part but is still shut off.
Drive MH to a BULK Propane Dealer.
They should be able to ID what is wrong and part needed.
IF still available.

Those 4 bolt flange set ups are hard to find ... maybe obsolete
So BULK Propane Dealer would be best bet and finding/fixing your tank fill issue
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Your problem is probably your OPD valve, not your filler valve.

I found my replacement on ebay. Look for seller 'propane-kits'.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, holiday rambler, problem, problems, propane, tank, valve