Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2022, 07:47 PM   #1

Reese Goosebox Installed On Jayco???

I recently purchased a 2022 Jayco Pinnacle 37MQDS. I would really like to install a Reese Goosebox but was wondering if Jayco has approved these pin boxes for their frame. My previous fifth wheel was a Jayco Northpoint. When asking to install a Reesebox both the dealer and Jayco told me it would void my warranty.

Has anyone heard if Jayco now accepts these?
blair_evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2022, 07:51 PM   #2

That would be best answered by JAYCO

Phone:
574-825-5861
800-RV-JAYCO.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ask Jayco which is owned by Thor. And if they approve it, get it in writing from the corporate office, not the dealer.

Personally, I would not touch a GooseBox even if I was given one.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
JDT

It depends on your frame box. At some point Jayco changed to one I think they call the Rhino. It does not match up with the Goose Box so that is probably why it is not approved. Reese lists the frame boxes it will work with. As long as you have a match Lippert will approve it. I think the frame is warranted by Lippert, not Jayco, so you might want to check with them.

I have an opposite opinion to our moderator. I've had a 20K Goose Box on our Pinnacle for over 2 1/2 years and put a bunch of miles on it. Not a single problem and in fact rides better than our previous fifth wheel which I pulled with a Trailer Saver BD3.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Personally, I would not touch a GooseBox even if I was given one.

Ken
And why is that?
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
And why is that?
The GooseBox is nothing but a glorified goose neck adapter. The trailer frame will see the same added stresses.

Additionally, the goose neck arrangement is a pain to get aligned and set on the ball when compared to hitching with a 5th wheel hitch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:16 AM   #7
JDT

Ok, Ken, I know you are convinced the Goose Box is a failure waiting to happen but if that was the case there would surely be folks complaining. The only one I could find was from a guy who hit a construction hazard that also damaged his truck. The Box was introduced in 2012 so it has been on sale for 10 years now. Surely that is more than enough time to to identify any problems. There was a problem with the air bag leaking but I think the Gen 2 design fixed that.

Comparing it to a rigid 90 degree goose box extension is a little misleading. I'm not sure of the angle of the Box but it certainly isn't 90 degrees. As far as hook up goes like anything else, you learn. I do have a high mounted camera on my truck with a centering line which lets me line up every time. I can see where not having a camera might make it a little more difficult.

My opinion is offered with all due respects to yours. Let's just say we'll agree to disagree.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
The GooseBox is nothing but a glorified goose neck adapter. The trailer frame will see the same added stresses.

Additionally, the goose neck arrangement is a pain to get aligned and set on the ball when compared to hitching with a 5th wheel hitch.

Ken
Thanks, I have owned mine since 2018 and would not pull a 5th wheel with any other hitch.
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:

Ken
It is a little more tedious but with some practice it's not too bad, and GOAL a few times beats the heck out of lifting that hitch out of the bed which I would have to do several times a year, some of it away from my front loader. No thanks.

The Reese boxes are Lippert approved. The GEN-Y is not, and the sole reason is that Lippert (Your friendly neighborhood corporate bully) wanted sole distributorship.

GEN-Y has not had a single failure and/or refusal of Lippert to honor warrantee.

Here is my DIY install: https://thecastle.blog/pin-box-goose-box/
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I put on a Reese Goosebox and like it a lot. Better than the 5th wheel hitch as far as ride quality.

Ask your frame manufacturer which hitch is approved and which isn't. My understanding is that Lippert is OK with the Reese; not so much so for the Gen-Y.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I put on a Reese Goosebox and like it a lot. Better than the 5th wheel hitch as far as ride quality.

Ask your frame manufacturer which hitch is approved and which isn't.
There's more than one?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #12

In 2020 when I purchased my Northpoint, I asked to have a Reese Goosebox installed. They said it would void my warranty. They also said Jayco makes their own frame. I did not believe them, so I contacted Jayco Customer Service. Jayco told me the dealer was correct.

I see the new Gen 3 20K Reese Box now fits the Rhino. Jayco is heavily connected to Lippert using alot of parts to construct their fifth wheels. I am hoping it is now a certified pin box to use. I see from reviews and videos that it would be far superior then the Morryde.

Yesterday I sent an email to Jayco. I will let you know what they have to say.

Blair
Old 12-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #13
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair_evans View Post
In 2020 when I purchased my Northpoint, I asked to have a Reese Goosebox installed. They said it would void my warranty. They also said Jayco makes their own frame. I did not believe them, so I contacted Jayco Customer Service. Jayco told me the dealer was correct.

I see the new Gen 3 20K Reese Box now fits the Rhino. Jayco is heavily connected to Lippert using alot of parts to construct their fifth wheels. I am hoping it is now a certified pin box to use. I see from reviews and videos that it would be far superior then the Morryde.

Yesterday I sent an email to Jayco. I will let you know what they have to say.

Blair
I may be wrong, which happens regularly according to my wife, but I think Lippert manufactures the frames for Jayco, as they do for just about every other brand located in Elkhart, unless something has changed. Maybe they meant the frames were made to Jayco's specifications, which they are, or at least were when I bought. Anyway, when we bought ours in May 2020 I called Lippert to verify the frame box was acceptable for my Pinnacle. They asked for the frame box number and verified it was.

I would suggest contacting Lippert customer service also. The few times I have they have been very helpful.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I may be wrong, which happens regularly according to my wife, but I think Lippert manufactures the frames for Jayco, as they do for just about every other brand located in Elkhart, unless something has changed. Maybe they meant the frames were made to Jayco's specifications, which they are, or at least were when I bought. Anyway, when we bought ours in May 2020 I called Lippert to verify the frame box was acceptable for my Pinnacle. They asked for the frame box number and verified it was.

I would suggest contacting Lippert customer service also. The few times I have they have been very helpful.
Thanks for the info. I will reach out to Lippert as well. Do you know where I can find the frame box number?

Tags
install, jayco, led