Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

New Horizons Majestic vs. Augusta Luxe

I have read back a ways on similar topics but wanted to put out a request about these two rigs specifically.

I am a fulltimer. I currently have a LTV Unity MB that was my starter RV. I love being on the road but miss a real kitchen. I am seriously looking into the Luxe and the Majestic. With selling my LTV both are budget-able for me. I have seen both on the road. I want to know what others have to say.

I am leaning towards NH. But the Luxe is tempting due to lower price. I plan on visiting both factories and I know that Augusta has moved to Elkhart and is now with The RV Factory.

I plan on staying on the road for a while and then when my kids are really, really on their own financially, within the next 1-1/2 years, buying an acre in PNW and one in SW and setting them up with electric, water and sewer and moving back and forth like a snowbird between my kids. One in PNW and one in SW. Additionally being able to take trips from each whenever I want with the rig.

I will buy a truck that will easily haul my rig. So that is not an issue at this point.

I guess in the end, what I am asking is... is this very much higher price really really worth it between these two rigs? Has anyone out there who spent the money on the NH regretted it? Any buyers remorse? Did any of you consider the Luxe recently and chose the NH? or the other way around?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and input!
svaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

We were in your shoes a few months ago. We decided to go with New Horizons and ours is currently in production. We chose the NH over the Luxe for a number of reasons. The NH offers many more (suggested) floor plans, and since they are custom, you can design whatever you want. Also, the CCC (cargo carrying capacity) is much, much more on a NH, and even our 39 footer will have triple axles. They will work with you to add any options you desire. Also, Augusta RV is pretty new and things may change now that they are with RV Factory. Good luck with your decision.
slallen1262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

@slallen1262
Thanks so much. I made my flight, car and hotel reservations today to go there in mid-December to get the ball rolling.

The level of sturdiness I sensed when touring one through an Ambassador couple and the gorgeous finishes and the new contemporary decor I saw in new photos caught me.

I love my current rig a lot, but I want something that feels more homey with a real kitchen.

Best place to get a hauler? I know of Classy Chassis but they're in Indiana.

Again, thanks for the post.
svaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

New Horizons sold us the Ram 5500 that they used to transport their show model to the Hershey show. It has a hauler body from Utility Bodyworks. I'm sure New Horizons will help you arrange the purchase since they do a lot of business with them. Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns.
slallen1262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:31 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the other side of the fence, we chose the Luxe. They have added several more floorplans on both the Luxe & lighter weight Ambition. The one with a den appealed to us. We added probably a dozen mods from separate electric outlets on their own circuit, to a fireproof sage we enclosed & hidden into the trailer body, to a double dose of their solar offering. The kitchen sold us. Being able to prepare thanksgiving dinner is exciting to me. We ordered every option available except the Lambright furniture and the energy mgmt system. It would be a nightmare to troubleshoot. Anyway, the merger with The Factory had brought mammy, many more service locations to the table, a better product creation flow with a new warehouse & a faster produced product. Ours will be in production this month. I just wanted to share the Luxe perspective.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:43 AM   #6

So here we are 4 years after the last post. I am also a potential buyer of nh but probably the luxe. Its 2021 and rvf have went through allot since the change in ownership. I'm honestly finding it hard to find the differences between a luxe and a nh. You can basically custom anything you want to do with the luxe. So I'm asking of all of you to please explain to me what is it that makes nh so much better than the luxe. We ful time and will be upgrading from our current rig. This next purchase will be our forever and last home but I'm not into just paying an extra 50-100 k for the same quality. Please throw out your knowledge and opinions as I truly do want to hear from you. Now I may respond with an answer like well luxe will also add that but I'm not trying to be controversial just trying to get the best facts I can so we can make our best decision. Thanks for your help.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
So here we are 4 years after the last post. I am also a potential buyer of nh but probably the luxe. Its 2021 and rvf have went through allot since the change in ownership. I'm honestly finding it hard to find the differences between a luxe and a nh. You can basically custom anything you want to do with the luxe. So I'm asking of all of you to please explain to me what is it that makes nh so much better than the luxe. We ful time and will be upgrading from our current rig. This next purchase will be our forever and last home but I'm not into just paying an extra 50-100 k for the same quality. Please throw out your knowledge and opinions as I truly do want to hear from you. Now I may respond with an answer like well luxe will also add that but I'm not trying to be controversial just trying to get the best facts I can so we can make our best decision. Thanks for your help.
New Horizons build their own frames and walls in house. Luxe uses a Lippert frame and outsources its wall structure.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
New Horizons build their own frames and walls in house. Luxe uses a Lippert frame and outsources its wall structure.
Can you explain a little bit more by what you mean when you say that rvf outsources there wall structures. I was under the impression that they built those right in there factory. Maybe im just not following.
There is no doubt about the frame being a total in-house build. It would be nice if someone could put a side by side frame comparison together do we could see the comparison.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
Billett Bee -

You might find better answers at these forum sites:

https://rv-dreams.activeboard.com/t6...gusta-rv-luxe/

Portfolios - Augusta RV/RV Factory Owners

https://www.rvillage.com/group/2193/...tion-rv-owners

There you will also find some interesting comments that the walls of a Luxe when compared to DRV are thinner and the frame is lighter. (RV Dreams)

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Billett Bee -

You might find better answers at these forum sites:

https://rv-dreams.activeboard.com/t6...gusta-rv-luxe/

Portfolios - Augusta RV/RV Factory Owners

https://www.rvillage.com/group/2193/...tion-rv-owners

There you will also find some interesting comments that the walls of a Luxe when compared to DRV are thinner and the frame is lighter. (RV Dreams)

Just my two cents,
Ron
Ron, are you trying to politely run me off or are you actually trying to help me. Hahaha I will check those out, ty. I do come to you nh folks though to hear your opinions and views to make my Best decision and no better Info than first hand.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Ron, are you trying to politely run me off or are you actually trying to help me. Hahaha I will check those out, ty. I do come to you nh folks though to hear your opinions and views to make my Best decision and no better Info than first hand.
Thanks for the links, im already on rv village and Augusta forums, I've not seen the rv dreams yet but the post looks pretty old from back in the Augusta to rv factory buy out days. wich i do agree was a mess and not a true representation of the rvf luxe brand today. It may look that it appears that I've made up my mind, I have not, I'm 75% on the luxe band wagon, but if I can be convinced that it won't hold up and nh is worth 50-100k more because of everything you nhog folks can prove to me, than I will choose to put that retirement money into our home instead of using it to live a certain lifestyle. Yes it will have to be alot of very substantial improvements for me to switch over, but that's why I'm talking with you all, To help me decide. So I can make decisions like is a in-house hitch really any better and worth more than the gen y wich is rated for 30k. I like the gen y and 30k is more than plenty but how is the in-house nh hitch really better and what is it rated for and do i need that much and is it really worth spending more money on for me. I'm weighing out what I've read with what this helpful group is sharing
Old 02-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #12

Billett if you don't see the value with all the information that has been given then buy the Luxe. Nothing wrong with the Luxe brand. But for me I found more value in the NH line. NH is totally customizable including how they will build the frame based on what the customer specs. Being totally customizable it will cost more than a semi-customizable product like Luxe.

Simple examples, Luxe Elite has 3 toy hauler floor plans, NH has 6 for the Majestic on their Website. If you don't find one that works with NH then they will design to order at a reasonable cost.

I've spec'd larger windows in the bathroom and bedroom head of bed side windows. No issue.

Hydraulic slide actuators instead of electric motors on the Luxe.

But the beauty of all of this is that if you find what you like in Luxe and the price/value is something you are happy with then go for it.

Safe travels.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #13

New Horizons Owners Club
Billett Bee -

No, not trying to run you off. Just trying to understand what you want. However, I think I have.

Your answer is in your signature line. You have ordered a 48' Luxe toyhauler. You have ordered, or are ordering, it so changing to a NH is out of the question. You are looking for information to assure you have made the right decision. Boy! I've been there and done the same thing! I cannot assure you that you have made the right decision, only you can. But, as you have "ordered" the Luxe 48FB, there are other considerations.

You have a Dodge 3500 nicely equipped. However, a NH toyhauler spec'ed out the same as the Luxe 48FB would be REAL heavy (that doesn't include any customization you might want with NH). Just look at Big Red! (Chris, where are you?) You would definitely need a HDT. However, I leave that discussion to you and Jack Mayer. As is, you have ordered a 26,000 pound delivered fifth wheel toyhauler. Once you add, what - one or two motorcycles? A 4-seater Polaris RZR? A Smart Car? Plus your full-time living "things" - clothing, groceries, kitchen stuff, etc. - you will be well in excess of 30,000 pounds. Though it appears you have a nicely equipped Dodge 3500, your Luxe will have exceeded it's capacity. The smaller brakes on the 3500 are a real problem. Leave plenty of stopping room! Your questions are not if ordering a Luxe was a right thing to do compared to a NH. The real question is what to upgrade your wheels to! A well equipped Dodge 5500? A HDT?

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #14

I have not ordered yet, probably in May, if you guys can't sway me over. I do see the value in every opinion offered, im just having peaceful debate and get data, pics, and facts to base our decision in one direction or the other. Thank you for helping

Tags
luxe