Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:29 AM   #29

Downsizing For Me

I have owned several motorhomes and travel trailers over the years. When I decided not to spent half time in my RV I purchased the smallest RV out of all that I had owned, a 22’ TT. I did this after thought. I would be traveling solo so I did not need living accommodation for others. Smaller is easier to handle on the road, at set up, and take down. I tend to stay at state parks and smaller is allowed at more location than large. Smaller should be less expensive. In my case purchase and after purchase modifications pushed the price up but operation is less than a larger rig. I am now in my third year of using this rig and find it the right size for me. This year I’ll spend about ten months of the year in the RV.
markminnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 01:14 AM   #30

I'm living in my 2004 27 ft komfort . I feel it's a little large but my 2010 chevy tahoe tows it very well with a few engine mods it puts out about 450 hp I also put drilled & slotted brake rotors a dual piston calipers a brake controller & a sway controller so It tows very nicely its a little heavy but it tows very nice. Gives me and my dog plenty of space and room for extra food storage. I just put in a 6.5 kw onan generator in the rear storage area and im going to be putting in a separate 17 gal fuel tank ill need to remove part of the bedroom bottom half of the closet to get it in . I enjoy it very much .
Flyoung1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:56 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't let the solo thing drive you. Many of us are the sole drivers of our rigs and that impacts length of drives and number of stops.

I would recommend finding the rig that meets your needs, most of your wants, and stays within the budget you are comfortable with.

I would also dial in on what type of camping you will do. Lots of SP's or NP's may drive you to a certain size. Lots of RV resorts will call out another answer.

Hopefully, you spend more time in camp set up enjoying than you do driving. figure out your mix of use and style. The answer will become more clear.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlWander View Post
What year make and model is your crew cab? Is it a dually?

Welcome aboard.
Nice to have you join our campfire 🔥

Lots of information here. So join in and ask your questions
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:52 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a DW but the driving, backing, parking, leveling, connecting the toad and all the rest of that stuff is up to me.

I mostly boondock. The size of the RV is more dictated by where my RV can go than it is by floor plan. If I can't get to the out of the way places I enjoy part of my fun goes away.

I think you need to seriously decide where you want to go and whether your choices will let you get there.

My brother has a 40' DP. He can't go to some of my favorite places where I can go with my 34' gas MH. Heck, he can barely get into my driveway!

That might be a factor in your decision!
Old 04-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #34

Class A, 32-38' with only one washroom and not set up to sleep and sit 15 people! Good emphasis on the kitchen / counter space, queen bed preferred, no opposing couches, theater seating, doesn't need 5 TV's, nice materials, washer/dryer, dishwasher. 10,000lbs towing capable.

What I've come up with, Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA is pretty dang close and the dutch star 3717 is in there too. For gassers, the Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA but I dont want to bounce all over the road and white knuckle it. I want driving to be peaceful, dont want to upset my dog
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:50 AM   #35
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I love the layout of our 40' bus. My wife passed recently so now I am solo but can't imagine any less room. Don't need it of course but it makes it very comfortable. I don't travel much but I'm sure parking will be more of a challenge without the extra set of eyes.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
I love the layout of our 40' bus. My wife passed recently so now I am solo but can't imagine any less room. Don't need it of course but it makes it very comfortable. I don't travel much but I'm sure parking will be more of a challenge without the extra set of eyes.

Maybe see if you can get a 360 degree camera system installed
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #37

In my non full time solo travels (up to about 2 weeks at a time), one thing I have noticed is amount of excess seating in my 28 ft class A coach. There are a total of 7 seating positions in my coach, the driver and passenger captains chairs, and 3rd captains chair just forward of the entry door, a J sofa, and 2 seats at the table. What I find after a week or two traveling solo in my coach is that I only ever sit in 3 places, the drivers seat, the aft end of the sofa, though I will occasionally lay down o the sofa taking up the full length, and aft dining table seat. This leaves 3 seating positions that I NEVER use when traveling solo.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #38

30’. I wouldn’t want to coop my cat and dog up in anything smaller. That would be cruel.
Myjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:47 AM   #39

I frequently see the comment "floor-plan, floor-plan" as the most important feature and consideration. I disagree strongly The most important consideration is the bones of the RV. Who built it. You can have the most accommodating, prettiest layout in the world but if it's a piece of crap, your RV experience will be miserable. Worst example of build quality I saw was a Thor ACE a few years ago. My GF loved the interior design, I detested the abysmal build quality. NO I didn't get one.

My method is first determine what I want in space and layout, then look at the better builders who have that. I won't compromise quality for bling. I won't put TV placement or counter top style over quality. Often the statement is made that "they're all built the same, poor" but that's not true. Within a manufacturer there are various levels of build quality. Some manufacturers just need to be avoided period. It might be pretty, it might have the nicest layout and flow, but if the dealer has it more than you do the first couple years, what good is it.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:11 AM   #40

I would say condition is more important than initial build quality, though in an ideal world you would have both a well built coach which has been maintained well.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:06 AM   #41

I think it depends mostly on where you want to go.

I boondock exclusively, down some sketchy roads and tracks, and so I need something that can handle washouts and ditches and slopes. It's not so much a question of turning radius as it is ability to handle up-and-down irregularities. My 28' C is about as big as I'm comfortable with for this.

But if I stayed on real roads - even gravel roads, but level and graded - I'd buy the biggest rig I could afford.

It's all compromise.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:01 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a 36' Holiday Rambler Endeavor gas that I spent six months in every winter. It was too small. but I got by. Upgraded to a 40' Winnebago Journey DP with three slides. I'm looking for a 42-44 Newmar 4 slide to upgrade again. I suppose I could get rid of some STUFF but not ready. It's just me and two cats. But whatever works for you. I see couples in camper vans that seem to do fine.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo