Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #15

My only suggestion is try it first ! Rent an RV, go some place close for a weekend. Then go a bit farther for a week or two. Big change in lifestyle. You may not like it, some don't jump in the deep end of the pool !

While a Class C or Class B+ may look good, they are very small and can be very expensive. Personally, I would get a smaller trailer (24' or even 20'). It gives you the option of parking it and taking a day trip somewhere nearby.

You are new to the whole RV lifestyle, so you will learn quickly that you need to be a handy-man. If do not plan to camp where it is below freezing (except in an emergency) then consider not having a furnace or propane. Induction cooking and microwave/convection oven work well, but require you to be plugged in or have a generator. You will also be happier with a compressor style refrigerator. Most people just use residential models, but there are one that run directly off the battery.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
I would like to retire in 2 years and possibly go on the road full-time RV solo exploration across the US.

One of the reasons that I would like to hit the road is I'm afraid if I don't, I will sit around the house during retirement miserable.
My only Hobby really is fishing especially River fishing. But I don't want to do that all the time. When I was younger I used to have tons of friends, but after moving to Oregon in my later years I found that to be very difficult, and gave up trying to make friends so now I'm a Loner.
I am hoping, that a solo rv lifestyle might force me to become more social, but at the least give me something to do. (can't fish every day).

I imagine life as a solo RV'er for me would be to travel from campsite to campsite meeting folks and hitting the rivers. Nights would be spent researching where to go next but also finding groups of travelers and coming along for the ride.
I have never stayed in a rv or visited a campsite. So it will all be a new adventure.

My goal is to sell my house and not buy another nor rent until my journey has ended. At that point maybe sell my rv and buy a home somewhere.

Any advice welcome. Anything has got to be better than staying home alone every day until I'm to old to do anything.
You are 100% like me. I revel in exploration and researching places to explore. I am a big time introvert too and LOVE boondocking. I haven't gone full time yet, but I cannot wait for the day when I don't have to come back home. You might not ever want to end your journey until your body gives out on you.

The handyman part is stuff you will learn pretty easily. Everything is on youtube now with step by step how to videos. I have learned my whole RV in less than a year. Anything goes wrong I am on top of it. Guarantee you will love it if you're like me.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #17

From one introvert to another

I had similar worries as you, I think.
I was married to an ultra-extrovert (it was both great and very difficult) and then I was suddenly widowed. I did not need the big home any more and struggled to keep up with the payments until I finally took an early retirement I shucked the whole thing. I was tired of sitting in the same chair at the same kitchen table and looking out the same backdoor into the same yard every day. I imagined that 20 years from now I would being in the exact same spot. I got it into my head that buying an RV and full timing for a year or so would help me figure out my next move. I sold pretty much everything I owned along with the house and bought a c-class MH even though I'd never owned or camped in one before.
Once I stopped being scared shitless every minute of every day, it became a pretty cool lifestyle.
I was concerned that, as an introvert, I was in danger of becoming some weird hermit in a camper for the rest of my life. I knew that some human interaction was good for me. Internet searches for volunteer opportunities without being tied to one locale finally landed me on the Habitat for Humanity RV Care-a-vanners page.
It was perfect for me.
I could sign up for a stint (generally 2 weeks t a time) at a location that sounded interesting to me, cancel if something came up and, best of all - nobody cared that I had no construction experience whatsoever.
I met wonderful local folks in very interesting places (they might just have the inside scoop on the best local fishing spots!) and great RVers who also had a wealth of knowledge. If I needed my alone time (I need a lot!) then nobody hassled me; my time and space was respected.
I've since learned of a few other similar volunteer options for RVers but HfH Care-a-Vanners has worked well for me. I've generally done 5 or 6 stints a year as I've moved around. Some do more, some less.
I hope you find what works for you. Welcome to a great life!
Old 09-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #18

Solo options

I travel by myself about half the time and with my partner the other half.

OP has little to lose by implementing his plan...sell house and start the RV lifestyle. Go for it! You can always buy another home when the time comes.

Possible options to expand social contacts:

Join Escapees - they have meet ups and parks with community activities that anyone can participate in. Dinners at their clubhouse as an example.

Apply to become a campground host for a month. You'll camp for free and interact with paid staff and campers. We've done it twice as a couple and it was something we both enjoyed very much. No reason I couldn't do it alone.

I've been at this for 7 years (part-time) and find that I don't meet people in campgrounds. Other than small talk in between walks around the campground, not much interaction.

One other idea, once you buy an RV, look for groups that meet online and at round ups with the same type of RV. For example, the Lazy Daze group is a fantastic group of people and has groups all across the USA and they meet at various times. Very friendly and open group.

I work seasonally (tax preparer) and am leaning toward continuing to work because of the valuable social interaction I get - then I am done with the season and ready for quiet time alone or with my partner. Have never been good at making friends- the number seems to shrink as I get older.

Good luck to OP and anyone reading this thread. Try to look at the glass as half full.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #19

Hello Alikar,

Met a retired Doctor in Quartzsite who built his life around fly fishing for trout, he was quite the character. Brilliant, loved/needed his isolation, enjoyed people in doses(well…certain people!), travelled the same route every year, fished the same streams and had a name for every trout he caught and re-caught day in and day out in Yellowstone.

Not suggesting this is the new way you wish to live your life. Just wanted to bring this up because at one time apparently he was one very social dude. He tired of that way of living for one reason or another and chose to travel a different path. Gotta say he was very content with his decision.

Never believe it when people suggest you are who you are and life will be the same no matter where you are. New experiences, new trials, new failures and new successes await those who try.

I imagine life as a solo RV'er for me would be to travel from campsite to campsite meeting folks and hitting the rivers. Nights would be spent researching where to go next but also finding groups of travelers and coming along for the ride.”-

Change a couple words and you are on your way-

I am beginning life as a solo RV'er and will be traveling from campsite to campsite meeting folks and hitting the rivers. Nights will be spent researching where to go next but also finding groups of travelers and coming along for the ride.

I have never stayed in a rv or visited a campsite. So it will all be a new adventure.” -Yes it will be, and you may enjoy it or not, who knows? Just give it time. It is a big change.

Overused, but seeing as you’re in Nike country, “Just do it”.
SV K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:16 PM   #20

Thank you. I am still on the fence regarding full-time solo, got 3 more years till I retire.
My thoughts today are changing to much to know what I might do.

If anyone is interested, here is my logic steps.

If I decide the cost of living is to high to retire where I'm living, and that I would have to move so far away it might as well be another state that then...
The open road is my canvas. It may be the 1st state I visit or the last but I would like to get a feel of each place I visit.
What I wont know is if the journey or the destination is what will matter in the end.

If I end up finding a wonderful place to live I would most likely downsize the motorhome for weekend trips.
My fear is that I loose myself in a introverted spiral and end up a crazy old dude living under the bridge in a beat up old RV 😕 😅
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Thank you. I am still on the fence regarding full-time solo, got 3 more years till I retire.
My thoughts today are changing to much to know what I might do.

If anyone is interested, here is my logic steps.

If I decide the cost of living is to high to retire where I'm living, and that I would have to move so far away it might as well be another state that then...
The open road is my canvas. It may be the 1st state I visit or the last but I would like to get a feel of each place I visit.
What I wont know is if the journey or the destination is what will matter in the end.

If I end up finding a wonderful place to live I would most likely downsize the motorhome for weekend trips.
My fear is that I loose myself in a introverted spiral and end up a crazy old dude living under the bridge in a beat up old RV �� ��
Do that part first! Raise your fist and shout at the clouds, too!

A friend of mine decided to drive east, leaving Los Angeles. His bus broke down somewhere near Dodge City, KS in 1984. I'm pretty sure he's still there...

Make sure where ever you stop, it's by choice. Other than that, party on (or not)!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Do that part first! Raise your fist and shout at the clouds, too!

A friend of mine decided to drive east, leaving Los Angeles. His bus broke down somewhere near Dodge City, KS in 1984. I'm pretty sure he's still there...

Make sure where ever you stop, it's by choice. Other than that, party on (or not)!
I'm more of a howl at the moon kinda guy.
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have any pets that you plan to take with you? I used to be an introvert, very shy and would rarely speak to anyone I didn’t know really well.

Then 27 years ago I added a capuchin monkey to my life. The rarity of a socialized monkey was a magnet for strangers. I didn’t have to approach people, people approached us and I learned to be comfortable around strangers. I think it was mainly a matter of them being interested in my monkey and not in me that made me more comfortable.

I do not recommend anyone add a monkey to their lives without doing years of research. They are not easy creatures to live with. Think of one monkey as being like hyperactive triplets with amazing physical ability.

However, I would suggest that you consider adopting a cute, friendly dog. Walking a dog in an RV park or taking it to the dog park is a great way to easily meet other people with like interests. If you want to find more fishing friends wear a cap or T shirt that indicates you’re a fisherman while you’re walking that dog. Chatting about other activities can be stimulated just as easily by wearing something that identifies you as enjoying it.

And the exercise is good for you. My Dad retired to a power recliner watching sports and fishing shows. Before long he could barely walk. The lack of exercise and mental stimulation lead to an early death. Don’t let that happen to you!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #24

I have a cute, friendly dog. At the park, next to my apartment, more folks know her name, Hope, than mine!

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #25

Quote:
My fear is that I loose myself in a introverted spiral and end up a crazy old dude living under the bridge in a beat up old RV �� ��
For the first 18 years of my life, I would have been classified as an introvert. Chubby, not into sports, only a couple of "friends".

When I started college, I decided two things. To use my nickname and not my given name (I was amazed how smooth that transition went) and to say hello to a few people, especially girls ! The first week at college, I met a young lady who I dated for a couple of years. We broke up, but I met more young ladies after that including my future wife.

In my "professional" career, I expanded my extroversion, especially when I was put in charge of a project with some authority and responsibility but insufficient resources. No on who knows my for the past 30+ years would ever believe I was an introvert.

Tags
solo