Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexir View Post
Y

Also regarding Diesel vs Gas, I am planning to keep it parked for long stretches of time (2-6 months) with only trips to a dump station or hooked up to the grid, and I've read that Diesel might not be ideal for that.
A diesel powered MH is a better choice for parking and sitting. (Think construction equipment, back up generators, farm equipment.) Gas does not do well just sitting but is a cheaper option.

But if moving then staying for a long term, a trailer makes more sense. Slightly more set up time, but only one engine to maintain.

Have fun. There is more than one formula for your chosen lifestyle.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
No mater what you do take a rv driving course. IMHO worth every penny we paid.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lexir

Lots of good input above. Another avenue you may pursue - Google Pippi Peterson. She is a single 30's female RV'er from the pacific northwest. She has a YouTube channel of her RVing pursuits.

Also, when you find the perfect RV and are at the point of making an offer - check out https://rvpricingandappraisals.com/. They offer 24 hour appraisals based on actual sales history not available to the public and much more accurate than anything you can get online.

Best of Luck!
Old 04-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trailers (5th wheels, or travel trailers) can handle sitting still for long periods of time.
DP's, not so much! Lot's to go bad.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexir View Post
Hi Everyone! I'm both new to RVing and new to the forum, and I'm looking for advice on a class A motorhome purchase for full-timing on the West Coast. I've already done a ton of research but I'd like to get your advice on the options I'm considering right now.

- My budget for a motorhome is about $50k, which still leaves me with a comfortable cushion in savings for other unexpected expenses

What would you recommend for me? Thank you for any advice you can offer!

My best advice. Pencil in about an extra 50% on your cushion. These things break at the most inopportune times and leave you at the mercy of Mobile mechanics, random shops, etc... It always seems to end up being more expensive than anticipated when you start down the RV journey.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #34

Everyone is so helpful here! Thank you. This is all great advice. I'm going to look at a whole bunch of different rig options at a dealer tomorrow to get a feel for size and layout in person, and I'll come back with any additional questions.

I really appreciate the help and advice! (and encouragement )
Lexir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
A diesel powered MH is a better choice for parking and sitting. (Think construction equipment, back up generators, farm equipment.) Gas does not do well just sitting but is a cheaper option.

But if moving then staying for a long term, a trailer makes more sense. Slightly more set up time, but only one engine to maintain.

Have fun. There is more than one formula for your chosen lifestyle.
With a fifth wheel, leaving it at an RV park for long stretches makes sense but what if I also want to boondock? I'd still need to go hitch it up and dump every 2-4 weeks, right?

I guess a lot depends on how much I want to be boondocking, and I think I just don't know the answer to that until I try both... hmmm.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Check out the Safari Trek class A. Late 90's can be picked up pretty easy for about $15k. I've been looking at the 24' ones. Nice floor plan, huge bath, 80 gals of water for boondocking and the electric magic bed. It rises up to get out it of the way. Good hardwood cabinetry.

I've found a '99 that I'm keen on but timing of a purchase does not work right now. Here is a link to the brochure for a '99.

http://cmrvs.com/trek99/brochure.pdf

Don't get a diesel one, very problematic without serious mods to the engine.
Hmm, I LOVE the larger bathroom on this one but the lack of a dedicated bed/bedroom would be hard for me given that I do want more of the apartment feel... I'm willing to drive/buy a bigger rig if I can have both and its in my budget.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #37

This looks good.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...4XB-5010347904
Old 04-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
they are one of the places i check out when i was in the market
Old 04-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I was curious of where this was gonna head..

So many styles and variety of people...

I am not sure if you mentioned how long you plan on this lifestyle, you said you always wanted to..so... Things do change .

IMO you budget is low to have your cake and eat it too... I have ponders for many years, tents, tags, one class A, short lived experiment,I am on a second class C,
All have been a fixer up of sorts or ended up being made into what I wanted.

1. I am a jack of all trades and very handy.
2. I found cheap deals or a good bang for the dollar..
3. Even what seemed to be best deal, low miles or Clean unit always came with a gremlin or a visit from murphy..
4. this forum is loaded with stories of the best, the good, the bad, and the ugly....the opinions and adventures from many walks of life...

A small Class A, has nice room. if compare a Class A 30ft to a Class C 30ft, the A is just roomier and normally has better home look stuff than a RV look.. IMO
Slides are nice but a maintenance item, if not now alter if l older rig, any rv..
they do add room..
We can argue with the masses over fuel MPG, pusher or gas, IMO a 6mpg gasser vs a 9mpg Diesel cost about the same aftr fuel difference and
PM maintence over a couple year, both can do 100k plus.. and the DP 300k but why buy a 300k.. newer but out of budget units can get 12+ to more I hear..
A 5th or tag is a double edge, it can work but a good reliable tow vehicle is not cheap and fuel mpg is back in play..for what you get.
Class A or C towing a small car is nice IMO or a small trailer with a dual purpose motorcycle or scooter on back.. LOL

We can list all the stuff you desire, boondocking and remote, a good solar and batteries expect 7500-10k for a system that will let you do almost all but AC..
a good onboard genny and a small genny IMO for just emergence charging..

Storage , most class A have great under storage.. Some Class c also.

Stuff like solar as mentioned with 300-400 AH Litium for dry/boondocking is so sweet. You mention Arizona, then AC on a genny may be nice if you are inside working.. Hotwater system for one person is normally ok in most.. larger shower or neo angle is cool.. If you are tall, make sure you have room.. Class water and grey/black is generally more than some Class C.. if needed..
Tranfsfer swtiches, voltage moniters, inverters, proper charges, make sure you have supported for your use and professional installed or updated.

Save the tinker for inside reno like floors or painting, upholstery or lighting updates.. this stuff is fun and personal effects are easy to add.

Oh if you may do colder weather stuff, then research the stuff needed...

I am sitting in my older Miniie Class C, 30ft.. rear queen bed.. low miles, gasser, 7-8 mpg, for the year well done with heated bays, engine heat to the rear, engine heat for hot watr.. good under storage . Entertainment up front over cab .. has a lousy black water tank, clogs alot.. hint when searching..
Older fridge but that can be fixed when dead..
I have added the modern electrics becasue i know how, inverter update , 300AH batteries, charger update, auto transfer, low volt genny start etc etc.. NO SOLAR yet, i cheap.. I carry a quiet 2200 watt genny in addition to the onan onboard.
My point here is this unit I could stay in 24/7 if i wanted to.. but with my wife and 2 siberian huskies, it is cramped to a point.. I would have removed the jackknife sofa for a recliner and ditch the dinetet layout for a second recliner and flip up table but the dogs are the control LOL, they like to travel on the sofa.. No slides and it is still ok..

any way give things deep though, many Class A 30-34 foot that are low miles and not used after a while . but a nice Class C can provide room.. either can tow,.. ENJOY..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Let's talk a little bit more about dumping those tanks while boondocking. As part of that dumping remember you also need to fill up with fresh water. There are options:
  1. Bring in any slides make everything road ready and drive to the dump station. Then drive back and make everything camp ready. Being a single RVer how long you can go depends upon your shower habits as you will probably fill the grey tank first.
  2. Use a waste tote (https://smile.amazon.com/Thetford-Sm..._t5_B07K8NK525) and a fresh water bladder. You may have to transfer all the liquids 2x - but it saves having to make the rig road ready and then put it all back. But it does require a pickup bed to hold the totes or some other way to hold those totes outside your toad. You can use a macerator to move the grey/black so you don't need to lift those totes when they are full.
The bottom line, there are options out there (just in too give you more things to have to decide).

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #41

As an RVer for over 53 years, having a trailer for 14 years, and a motorhome since then. I agree with most all of the comments you've received so far. I believe that any of the units you have talked about will work fine for you if you really like the way it drives/tows and the floorplan. If you are happy with the unit, you will adapt to its shortcomings, which they all have.

Regarding the choice between 5th wheel towable and a motorhome, they both have their advantages. The one disadvantage for you though, is your kitty. With a towable, you will have to move the kitty into your tow vehicle every day you travel. We travel with 2 cats and 2 dogs, and the cats were one (of several) reasons why we decided that for us (and I emphasize the US) the motorhome was better.

Best of luck to you on your new adventure. Cats make wonderful companions and I am sure that with the planning you have done so far, you will make out just fine!
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #42

How would insurance compare,, A motor home and toad v/s a 5th wheel and a tow vehicle. Would the insurance for a MH be comparable to a 5er.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase, rvs, single