Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We're heading home this morning and will have to fuel up before we get home. Using the TSD app I scouted out places on the way home to fill-up. We picked a place where we are now (Lubbock, TX) and it was in poor condition so I scratched it.

The best price is at a Petro in Weatherford, TX but it's 285 miles away making the trip from the last time I filled up just short of 800 miles. We have a 150 gallon tank and there are several good places to fill-up on the way so we can bale out easily.

I'm wondering of the 150 gallon tank how much is actually usable?
An easy answer would be to carry 2 5 gallon jugs for an emergency. Then it's always there.
74 mgb toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #30

We all like to see how far we can stretch the fill ups, but as in the heating oil business you don't want to suck all the sludge off the bottom of the tank and run it thru the oil burner. A good recipe for a "No Heat" call or a major engine fuel system cleaning.
plumber64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #31

A little over 10,000 miles.

Memphis to Singapore

Oh, wait, wrong vehicle. Sorry.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #32

We have 150 gallon tank, and in Eco mode the system says we can do 1200 miles. But our rig has a generator and aqua-hot system that also runs on diesel. I am told they will shut down when you just have a quarter tank remaining. So I figure we can go 800 miles on 3/4 of a tank. I imagine wind and traffic will affect the milage some, but this is what we usually do.
svaughanrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #33

Driving distance

We have had three (3) Class A's since 1997. We have been around the lower 48 states twice, most of Canada a few times and an 88 day adventure to Alaska and back in 2009. At no time did we allow our fuel level to even get near 1\4 tank full as at 1\4 tank we would not be able to operate our generator. Stuff happens and we have had situations where we were prepared and had to use our generator. It has happened when on the road when we had a problem with a transmission. It happened when we were at a campground and because of a construction company hit an underground electrical line, we had to use our generator for hours. Now in our present Class A DP we get 9.2 MPG and with a 90 gallon fuel tank on flat ground that works out to 828 miles. But I have no need what so ever to push the envelope and risk not being able to run our generator if something goes wrong. So I hope you all get good mileage and do your own thing as you wish, but we play it safe with a lot of fuel margin. Just our way. Stay safe, Stay well.

Dick and Sandy
2015 HR AMBASSADOR 38DB
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #34

I am thinking 800 to 900 miles is safe with a 150 gallon tank.

The generator does have a shorter dip tube and will run out of fuel first.
sremle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #35

Quarter a tan371/2 gal 7mi Per Gal towing a 5600 Pound Taho But I never run below 1/2 tank Not Even in my suv Just so thing I’ve always done you will get a little better miliage on top half of tank in econo mode Just my opinion for what it’s worth.
Donand Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
It all depends on how hard you push on the throttle.

I would never let my brand of fuel card dictate that decision. In fact, we don 't even have one. I always manage to negotiate local diesel stops with a 43 footer pulling a RAM truck, and those fuel stations are typically 30 to 40 cents lower priced than the truck stops where you would use your fuel card. Plus at todays prices, I get another 10-12 cents rebate on my VISA account.

Have avoided the big truck stops for years. Once had a large tractor trailer pull in next to me and proceeded to wash off his load of pigs and pigsh-t upwind of us. Thats life in the land yachting world!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber64 View Post
We all like to see how far we can stretch the fill ups, but as in the heating oil business you don't want to suck all the sludge off the bottom of the tank and run it thru the oil burner. A good recipe for a "No Heat" call or a major engine fuel system cleaning.

I’ve seen this answer before, but it raises the question of where is your fuel pickup located at when the tank is full?
Old 12-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #38

Quote:
We're heading home this morning and will have to fuel up before we get home. Using the TSD app I scouted out places on the way home to fill-up. We picked a place where we are now (Lubbock, TX) and it was in poor condition so I scratched it.

The best price is at a Petro in Weatherford, TX but it's 285 miles away making the trip from the last time I filled up just short of 800 miles. We have a 150 gallon tank and there are several good places to fill-up on the way so we can bale out easily.

I have a '96 diesel Winne Vectra, with a 90 gal tank, and routinely have driven 900 mi before I needed to fill up. I try not to go below 1/4 full, so am unsure how far I could go until empty. My mileage on fairly level ground was from 12 to 14MPG, towing a Jeep Cherokee. Even in mountains, mileage was 9 - 10MPG. I drive on 'cruse-control' around 60MPH for best results. I've had other RVers say, "I hate you!" when I tell them that! Some get only 5 - 6MPG for their gassers! Then again, some of them fly by me on the highway, so it figures!
mogul264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:57 PM   #39

Quote:

should be no problem. You can always just do a splash and go if you get nervous.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #40

Fuel state

The question you need to ask is "have you ever tried to start a big diesel that has been run dry ?"
Happened to me once and you don't want to do that. You can't just put the fuel in and start the engine. You have to prime the engine which can be quite difficult. Some engines like CAT make it easier but none are easy and you can easily spend 30 minutes or more trying to get it right. Assuming you have the fuel on hand.
We never let the gauge get below half and our tank is 150 gallons which gives us over 900 miles. You never know when you are going to break down and need that fuel for generator or heat.
Don't be foolish.
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
davegtigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #41

You cannot decide when/where to fuel your rig without our yahoo help? Geez friend, when it gets to 1/4 tank stop at the next fuel stop.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
Depends on your fuel mileage but I can tell you that in my '04 DSDP I had to change a lift pump and I had to drain the fuel tank and clean it out due to algae. Mine is 150 gallon tank. I put 5 gallons in it and the coach started. I needed to get to the local station about 3 miles away. I didn't make it. I had to add another 5 gallons and that was the difference. Once I got to the station I put 148 gallons into the tank.
Kind of a similar story. With 1/8 tank left the low fuel light came on at 650 miles. I'd done over 800 comfortably twice, and this was the first time for the light. I ran out in view of a Love's.

After carrying 7 gal of diesel 3/4 mile. I prime and crank it and drive on the shoulder. It dies almost immediately but able to coast 1/4 mile. I repeat with another 5 gal. It cranks again and dies (again) just outside the truck entrance. I know I have fuel but the low fuel and crud in the tank clogged the fuel filter, so I change the fuel filter in the middle of the road (literally in a turn lane) prime 4x, crank it again, drive up and get fuel. When I calculated the fuel vs distance at 8.5 mpg I should have had 16 gal when I ran out.

Now when I get fuel I jack the left side slightly so there's no air bubble in the tank . . . . and it's completely full.

- bob
cbr46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, single, tank